Yamaha Finn?

SteveK

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

We need a new bike, our Honda Wave is pretty old now, and my wife's eldest son is hoping that we will donate it to him. So we are considering buying a new bike next week, we had decided upon a new Honda wave 110i for about 44k baht. It seems Honda Waves are well regarded here and ours certainly seemed to be indestructible. It gets well over 100mpg too which is pretty amazing.

After picking up some groceries this morning, I drove past the local Yamaha dealer. They are offering a free bicycle with new Finns, obviously the bicycle is nothing special but would be handy for losing some weight. 

After having owned many bikes in the UK, I know that Yamaha are just as good, if not better than Hondas in many regard. However, with these bikes being built in Thailand I am aware that they might not be to the same standard. My question is: is the Yamaha Finn a viable alternative to a Honda Wave? Any known problems? Has anyone owned one?

Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, SteveK said:

No, Finn.

finn.jpg.73707196dbc610263387ba4c0b85da9a.jpg

No problem Steve. I´ve had both Hondas and Yamahas in Thailand. For me, I have never seen any difference in quality. The last we bought was a Yamaha QBix, that works perfect for driving and shopping in the city. Before we had a 2 Fino and 3 different Hondas during my life in Thailand. All worked just fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Seems like they have had about the same 115cc grocery-getter for awhile.  Sold in various trim as Finn, Jupiter RC, Spark and Spark LX since 2015 or so.   

Ah - makes sense

Spark becomes Finn

In Vietnam, Waves are rare and

the 115cc Yamaha is the workhorse in the country.

& vs the 110 Wave,

the extra 5cc could compensate for your increased mass.

& a free pedal bike!

The path is clear, Grasshopper.

Edited by papa al
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

With my personal "Honda bias" if the difference were only a couple-thousand baht, I'd probably stick with Honda

Smaller bikes such as the Honda Wave will not cost much more than any other brand.  I also

have a Honda bias as my friend and I have owned Honda Dreams for over 20 years .  They really

are a dream, if you want something that will keep going and going.   Well-maintained  they will last and look good for a long long time

These bikes all seem to be in the 40-44k range and I gather the dealers generally don't offer discounts, but run various promotions for free helmet, dashcam etc from time to time. I suppose I will just take a look and see what the best offering is, I have a Yamaha bias as my Yamahas in the UK were absolutely bulletproof and never missed a beat.

2 hours ago, rumak said:

Smaller bikes such as the Honda Wave will not cost much more than any other brand.  I also

have a Honda bias as my friend and I have owned Honda Dreams for over 20 years .  They really

are a dream, if you want something that will keep going and going.   Well-maintained  they will last and look good for a long long time

Yes, you're right, at those model levels there aren't going to be "a couple-thousand baht" difference and as you said probably not a big price difference at all.

Other than brand preference, I guess I'd look at any differentiations in features/specs between the bikes and the dealers in your area.

• Like 1

Steve , i think the Honda quality of years gone by , has gone. The Yamaha will be a great bike. Sharp looks , alloy wheels , electric start and disc brake. It also does up to 96 Kilometers per liter. Yes , 96 KPL. As tested by journalists recently. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Steve , i think the Honda quality of years gone by , has gone. The Yamaha will be a great bike. Sharp looks , alloy wheels , electric start and disc brake. It also does up to 96 Kilometers per liter. Yes , 96 KPL. As tested by journalists recently. 

Jesus!

That's 266 miles/gallon (UK), or 218 miles/gallon (US).

4 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Its on the official Yamaha Thailand website.  96.16 KPL. 1 English gallon is 4.546 L. USA = 3.785 L. So thats 271 MPG English. 226 MPG USA. Doesnt make sense to go electric , does it.

Wasn't doubting you - just amazed at those figures.

Mind you, it wouldn't get 271/gallon with me in the saddle (90kg).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Issanman said:

A couple of differences:

The Yamaha has an replaceable oil filter. The Wave does not.

The Yamaha can use E85 fuel. The Wave cannot.

It's almost criminal to put 85% Ethanol in a motorbike.  My scooter uses 100% Methanol, since you can't drink it.

image.png.4f2ab13c25f6f6f3a54cb2d8bdf62c3b.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, Hank Gunn said:

I've been shopping/looking around at bigger bikes (i.e. 650cc and up) and have been doing a lot of online research and reading of various MC forums. Currently, Yamaha's larger displacement bikes (XSR-7, etc.) are getting pretty bad reviews for build quality, namely suspension and rusting of frame components (specifically swing arms). (I know Honda and I'm pretty sure Yamaha and the other big bike manufacturers now build here in Thailand for export to the US and the EU.) Having said that, as far as I can tell these issues only apply to a couple of models in their larger displacement bikes, so for their smaller scooters it may not apply.

I've been riding bikes for over 40 yrs. and except for a brief time in the late '70s, when Hondas were sometimes referred to as "Hon-dogs" (because they were considered "dogs"/slow) and Yamaha, and Kawasaki (and to a lesser extent Suzuki) ruled the performance roost, Hondas have always been considered can't miss for their quality. With regards to my first comments, I'd throw out the caveat that the Finn and Yamaha's smaller bikes are built on separate assembly lines with different components, so most of those quality issues probably don't apply. In fact in my case, if Yamaha sold "big bikes" (a stupid term in my opinion) in my town, I'd seriously be considering a Tracer 700.

Again, this mostly my opinion and stuff I've gleaned from my own research. I'd say if the Yamaha were a considerably better deal, then that would probably be a good choice for what you want. I wouldn't consider the bicycle offer as anything but a teaser. I'd look solely at the price comparison to see if it's a big difference. With my personal "Honda bias" if the difference were only a couple-thousand baht, I'd probably stick with Honda (as you said, you've had good experience with yours).

Sorry, not a clear post here, just another data point for you to consider. Good luck with the purchase.

From what I have seen on the smaller bikes 300 and under yamaha cuts corners on the suspension.  Hondas much smoother ride and engines.  I would do the wave simply for the reason they are so popular here regarding service and resale. And that 110i engine is bulletproof.  Go buy a 2000 baht bicycle at big c lol.

• Confused 1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, Issanman said:

The Yamaha has an replaceable oil filter. The Wave does not.

What does the Wave use? you just have to use the "old" filter for eternity?

• Haha 1

I am sure the Finn will be fine.

I also only had good experiences with Yamaha over the years but the Wave is hard to beat considered how many years it had been on the market, spare-pars easily to get anywhere (not that you need them if taken good care of) so it doesn't matter much.

Have you seen the new Honda Cup? Really sweet looking little bike but sadly front drum brake in order to keep the retro looks, see many in Pattaya now. 

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Have you seen the new Honda Cup? Really sweet looking little bike but sadly front drum brake in order to keep the retro looks, see many in Pattaya now. 

Honda Cup.? w....?

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 1:23 AM, CGW said:

What does the Wave use? you just have to use the "old" filter for eternity?

Wave has a centrifugal filter and gauze filter.  You have to remove the clutch cover to clean them.

This periodic maintenance requirement is generally ignored in Thailand but they still run forever.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, tlandtday said:

From what I have seen on the smaller bikes 300 and under yamaha cuts corners on the suspension.  Hondas much smoother ride and engines.  I would do the wave simply for the reason they are so popular here regarding service and resale. And that 110i engine is bulletproof.  Go buy a 2000 baht bicycle at big c lol.

You might want to do some research. Yamaha own Ohlins ( THE suspension company ). Yamaha suspension , brakes and engines are another level compared to Honda. Consider for a moment , the Honda engine doesnt have an oil filter and cant run on Ethanol fuel. Honda has fallen behind on the technology and quality. A wave/scopy will be ok for running around , but there are much better bikes now available.