Yamaha Finn?

SteveK

On 3/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, tlandtday said:

I don't believe those mpg figures myself no way it is getting much  more than the honda.

Then educate yourself and read about it on the Yamaha website. A number of bikes were given to journalists to ride a public road route , not over 60 KPH , and the consumption was between 260 MPG and 272 MPG. 

On 3/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, Matzzon said:

I´ve had both Hondas and Yamahas in Thailand. For me, I have never seen any difference in quality. The last we bought was a Yamaha QBix, that works perfect for driving and shopping in the city. Before we had a 2 Fino and 3 different Hondas during my life in Thailand. All worked just fine.

delete

Edited by EricTh

On 3/15/2020 at 1:23 AM, CGW said:

What does the Wave use? you just have to use the "old" filter for eternity?

Centrifugal oil filter, no need to replace anything.  Service on my Supercub is 120 THB.  And the Supercub/Wave seems to last forever.

On the Finn vs Wave - I'd go for the Wave 125.  Better headlight than the Finn, the 125 has slightly taller gearing than the 110 (which has an insanely low first gear that seems to be designed to haul mobile SomTam kitchens.  The Finn is very similar in design to the Wave, but lacks the LED headlight and there's no 125 option.  

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

You might want to do some research. Yamaha own Ohlins ( THE suspension company ). Yamaha suspension , brakes and engines are another level compared to Honda. Consider for a moment , the Honda engine doesnt have an oil filter and cant run on Ethanol fuel. Honda has fallen behind on the technology and quality. A wave/scopy will be ok for running around , but there are much better bikes now available.

Yamaha do not own Ohlins.

The Honda Wave has two oil filters.

The Honda Wave runs on E10 ethanol fuel.  See sticker on top of fuel tank.

Old 2007 article on Ohlins buying stock back from Yamaha:  https://motocrossactionmag.com/ohlins-buys-back-company-from-yamaha/

Fast forward:

November 15, 2018

Kenth Öhlin today announced an agreement to sell a majority share in Öhlins Racing AB to Tenneco Inc. Öhlins will become a subsidiary of Tenneco, joining one of the largest global multi-line, multi-brand OEM and aftermarket companies in the world.

https://www.ohlins.com/2018/11/kenth-ohlins-sells-ohlins-racing/

Honda Innova/wave oil screen and centrifugal filter cleaning: 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, ktm jeff said:

You might want to do some research. Yamaha own Ohlins ( THE suspension company ). Yamaha suspension , brakes and engines are another level compared to Honda.

I've never ridden the Finn, but i have a Wave 125 from last year, and the suspension is surprisingly good, i doubt that the Finn could top this.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, ktm jeff said:

cant run on Ethanol fuel

It runs on E20, which is the cheapest fuel (when looking at the power/cost ratio), so that's fine ????

• Like 1

Answeing the 3 above posts together. Thanks for the video. I didnt know Ohlins had since bought most of themselves back from Yamaha. The video shows the Honda with a oil centrifuge and a gauze. I think most bikes have a centrifuge. The Yamaha also has a proper paper oil filter. And the Yamaha can still run on ethanol (E85) , but i agree , E20 is the most id like to use on any bike , no matter how advanced. As i said before , a wave , and its suspension etc will be fine for running about. I just prefer the quality of Yamaha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, Issanman said:

A couple of differences:

The Yamaha has an replaceable oil filter. The Wave does not.

The Yamaha can use E85 fuel. The Wave cannot.

Is a non replaceable oil free expensive then? 

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, stament said:

Is a non replaceable oil free expensive then? 

The Honda doesnt have a oil filter. The Yamaha does. I doubt even Honda would have the check to try to charge you for replacing an item that isnt even on their bikes.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Why would you want to use E85 ?

Waste of time, waste of $$$

I agree. Yamaha can use any fuel due to its advanced design. Honda cant. It just shows one of many areas where the Yamaha is more advanced than the Honda. E20 is the most ethanol i would use.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

The Honda doesnt have a oil filter. The Yamaha does. I doubt even Honda would have the check to try to charge you for replacing an item that isnt even on their bikes.

Any advantage with having one Vs not having one 

23 hours ago, stament said:

Any advantage with having one Vs not having one 

Yes. A proper oil filter , with a paper element , will filter more , and finer debris from the oil system. Its why engines have paper air filters instead of chicken wire.

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I have had the opportunity in Thailand to ride the Honda Wave 110i and the Yamaha Finn 115i, I can honestly say the Honda's of years gone by were better, today flip a coin, both bikes built in Thailand. For me the Finn is a better fit, seat more comfortable and more roomy(178cm , 90kg) and goes faster and handles hills a lot better than the Wave (Finn has a much more modern engine design) same hill down to second gear, the Finn 3rd gear (two up combined weight 140kg) I cannot comment on the fuel economy of either bike, for me I will be buying the top model Yamaha Finn UBS model in January 2024, when I come back to Thailand, dependable transportation for two in comfort.

I have a KLR in Australia, when I come to retire here in Thailand (in just over 2 and a 1/2 years time I will not buy again, relevant for Australian conditions, but a bit of overkill in Thailand, plus big bikes pay a lot of taxes on them, scooters are the go in Thailand, cheap, reliable, the work horses of Asia, no more to be said....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1