Has Thailand had enough of Western tourists and their ‘entitlement’?

webfact

18 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Arrivals from the rest of Asia and the Middle East tend to spend more on a daily basis, but their stays are shorter

yep, If I go somewhere for a weekend I will spend more per day than I would on a months break!

The snappily titled opinion piece (“Ten reasons why Western foreign tourists are not wanted as badly by the Thai Tourism Ministry versus Indians, Chinese, Russians, Koreans, etc.”)

Very snappy indeed, if you're 6 years old

So, lets get rid of the section of tourists that spend the least (even though its adding to the economy and keeping businesses open and individuals in a job)

Then what? Get rid of the next section because they have become the least spending group? And so on . . . . 

Genius, absolute genius

it is all complete garbage 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

The Westerner will pay $5 or $10 for the same item.

I'm not so sure.  I'm met the CHEAPEST westerners in Thailand.  ahhhhh..  backpackers???  I've heard some ask to live in a closet for 100 baht a night; two people, no bathroom, no window.  and these idiots are traveling?

again, a westerner can, on average, easily make the $10 back much easier.  Back home, 1000 baht isn't even thought about.  here, it's like some massive worry they might not have change.  

you are still correct in your hierarchy...  

Let's face it, most Thais THAT i know think that tourists are a pain in the derriere and a nuisance, oblivious to the fact and not realising for one moment that what props up the Thai economy by large is the tourist's dollars, and if tomorrow all the tourist and expat will be gone there will be a big party where the cheap thai whisky will flow like water...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, smedly said:

Indian and Chinese tourists are being taken advantage of right now - easy to rip off, that won't last for ever 

For Indians & Chinese Thailand is a short-haul destination, a long-haul one for Westerners. Also, lots more people.

• Like 2