Thailand road carnage: Bodies all over the road in Chonburi horror smash

rooster59

1 hour ago, BoonToong said:

Mmmmm, lot of assumptions there Bud.

You beat me to it ...

Always amazes me how people can read a sentence or two, and by some mystical, expat, barstool voodoo divine exactly what happened, down to the smallest detail.

And of course direct their mighty talent to deciding exactly what all the parties involved should do, or not do - as the case may be.

Followed by indiscriminate bashing of all and sundry involved - however remotely - in said incident.

Words from On High - I Have Spoken !!!

Heed and Obey - thou Lesser Beings !

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It never ceases to amaze me that these people can't recognise reckless driving, and driving with undue care and attention, which it seriously seems to be the case here, and immediately charge the drivers with it. He obviously wasn't paying attention or he wouldn't have needed to suddenly swerve and wasn't looking at what was coming the opposite way, or he wouldn't have pulled into the wrong lane and wiped three people out.

Its not exactly 100% clear whether the car swerved to avoid a motorcycle that might have just come out of a side road? Im not saying you are wrong or even disagreeing with you, but if that is the case, then the one who caused it got away absolutely scott free with no injuries or damage to the vehicle, while 3 are dead and 3 more in hospital. If this is true I wish the car driver hadnt avoided the motorbike and rammed that instead. That said, 4 people on a motorbike is asking for trouble

RIP to all

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Jeez thats nasty, any helmets or motorbike licences involved ?

Very unlikely - I travel through that area quite often and see plenty of young kids (say 9 or 10 years old) riding motorbikes around, and I've never seen anyone wearing a helmet.

I also know the road where the accident occurred, and it's a bad one. It's absolutely straight, quite narrow, with random patches of really bad road surface which could easily cause a motorcycle to swerve suddenly. There are also a lot of motorcycles with those DIY sidecars driving around, which are dangerous in their own right.

The road is quite unfit for purpose, as it serves Nong Yai, which is where a lot of industry has recently pushed into from Laem Chabang and Rayong. so there are plenty of large lorries barrelling along it at high speed.

Many times I have seen cars/motorcycles coming in front of me from a small lane when I am driving straight on the main road.

Most cars on the main road would swerve to avoid that but that would mean a head-on collision to the vehicles coming from the opposite lane.

This morning, a westerner suddenly came out to the main road from a soi nearly crashing into me. I horned at him for doing that but he sped away instead of apologizing.

It seems that both westerners and Thai people are guilty of the same act.

The rule is: Enter the main road only when you see that there are no cars coming from a far enough distance.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Its not exactly 100% clear whether the car swerved to avoid a motorcycle that might have just come out of a side road? Im not saying you are wrong or even disagreeing with you, but if that is the case, then the one who caused it got away absolutely scott free with no injuries or damage to the vehicle, while 3 are dead and 3 more in hospital. If this is true I wish the car driver hadnt avoided the motorbike and rammed that instead. That said, 4 people on a motorbike is asking for trouble

RIP to all

It is very clear and reported in the article. Please read another post of mine above.

18 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The rule is: Enter the main road only when you see that there are no cars coming from a far enough distance.

Yes, it's called self-preservation, but in this country there's a lack of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Without any doubt it was the car driver's fault in not anticipating danger. How do I know?

How do you know?  Without any doubt, you don't know, doesn't matter if you've been here for five years or five minutes, unfounded speculation means nothing.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

He obviously wasn't paying attention

yes  because  motorbikes NEVER  suddenly  change  direction without 

1.  checking  mirrors first

2 indicating 

3 engaging  brain

• Like 1

Just now, Chazar said:

yes  because  motorbikes NEVER  suddenly  change  direction without 

2 indicating 

3 engaging  brain

And never drive with broken lights in the night.

And never cut curves short.

And...

What mirrors??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

And never drive with broken lights in the night.

And never cut curves short.

And...

What mirrors??

exactly,  not  enough  webspace  to  list  everything  they do wrong

Edited by Chazar

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Sounds like the driver was being evasive to avoid the other scooter but collected this one in doing so.

yes .... possibly speed also,  however the driver should be aware of the oncoming surroundings of a car pulling out or a motorbike and anticipate any quick action if needed.  Could it be that the driver was to busy looking at his/her phone and didn't have sufficient time to react safely.  imo 

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes .... possibly speed also,  however the driver should be aware of the oncoming surroundings of a car pulling out or a motorbike and anticipate any quick action if needed.  Could it be that the driver was to busy looking at his/her phone and didn't have sufficient time to react safely.  imo 

Whole lot of speculation right there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

guess that really makes a major difference to the outcome.

The licence certainly does cause without one the scooter should not have been there, also the 30 seconds spent putting on helmets.... well that time spent could have avoided the accident.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

The licence certainly does cause without one the scooter should not have been there, also the 30 seconds spent putting on helmets.... well that time spent could have avoided the accident.

how would that avoid the accident - and then maybe the car driver didn't have a licence 

• Thanks 1

It’s a common thing to see 4 people on a bike designed for 2.

I see it everyday picking my nephew up from school in CM. Dad,Mom,one kid about 8 yrs old and mom holding a baby.

People have to remember that a lot of Thai people can’t afford to purchase a car,so a bike at 50,000 baht is there only option. It may not be the best option,but it’s the only one they have. Regarding the helmets,the government might as well just scrap that law because a hell of a lot of people just don’t wear them.

The attitude here in Thailand seems to be the bigger the vehicle the more right of way you have.Looking at the picture it a straight road,so making an assumption here that the car overtook the bike. Not seeing or caring that another bike was coming in the opposite direction. Another thing that happens way too much here without any form of punishment. It’s sad to see and hear about,but it’s the Thai way,and we as foreigners who have obtained our licenses and driving knowledge in countries that are very strict in all areas of driving,will never change the Thai attitude towards vehicle operation and road safety. Fact of life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

how would that avoid the accident - and then maybe the car driver didn't have a licence 

Well yes, same for the car driver and no licence....

If spending 30 seconds to put on helmets (thereby delaying their departure) does not gel with you as to how they might have not been invloved and become  dead.... well you are a lost cause.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Daily News said the accident occurred when the car swerved to avoid a motorcycle and hit the family on another bike traveling in the opposite lane.

This horror caused by a smart Thai driver.

40 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Well yes, same for the car driver and no licence....

If spending 30 seconds to put on helmets (thereby delaying their departure) does not gel with you as to how they might have not been invloved and become  dead.... well you are a lost cause.

Seems you're the lost cause, trying to justified an accident / cause on an "if/but" premise. 

Edited by Artisi

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

nonsense ,  you  simply  cannot  allow  for  EVERY bike to  swerve  out or  youd never pass one.

Given the circumstances of this accident, it's well within the car driver's capability. And BTW, post your own opinion, not criticise others for driving defensively.