300-400 suspected new coronavirus infections investigated in Thailand every day

rooster59

Case 143 in Singapore

Case 143 is a 42-year-old male Singapore permanent resident who had been in Thailand from March 4 to 6. He is warded in an isolation room at the National University Hospital (NUH).

He lives along Tanglin Road and is a family member of Case 132, a 37-year-old female Singapore permanent resident who had been in London from Feb 23 to 27.

He reported onset of symptoms on March 5 while he was in Thailand. He returned to Singapore on March 6 at night and went directly to NUH from Changi Airport.

Test results confirmed he was infected on March 7 in the afternoon.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-12-more-confirmed-cases-safra-jurong-now-largest-cluster-singapore

Edited by MikeyScars
  • Like 1

A post with unattributed content has been removed, please include a valid link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Yep! I also find it strange that Iran, who have the 3rd most infections are being so open with their information with a "world" that just weeks ago wanted to bomb them to kingdom-come! ????

Iran's totalitarian government is hiding information from the Irani people, not the outside world. The government is the reason so many are dying so quickly. Many Irani people and organizations are desperately trying to understand what's happening and communicate with the outside world. Have you seen some of the videos and independent news sites? Very much like when the government recently shot down a passenger plane and tried to hide it.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:02 AM, smedly said:

- every major infrastructure project has been managed by foreign companies

Citation needed.

- Thailand does not have anything they designed themselves

Ditto.

- for such a claimed hub in SEA they actually have achieved nothing - zero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ASEAN_countries_by_GDP

crap.PNG.5dafbc660ca1574d34b2f130aa0d57b4.PNG

On 3/7/2020 at 11:36 AM, smedly said:

last official figure I saw was 3000 and that was nearly two weeks ago

My interpretation of Viral Pneumonia infection is people that are very sick that cannot afford the fee for the covid 19 test and are just sent to the village to deal with their situation - in other words abandoned 

The fact it went from 0 to 3000 since January should tell us something

really? You think that's what's happening? You think they would allow that to happen and let whole villages erupt and let the virus get out of control. Frankly I think Thailand has done an exemplary job of trying to contain this virus and has been diligent. 

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, bartender100 said:

You would think the Web would have hundreds of report from people that have had it and recovered detailing their experience, but there are none anywhere that I can see, not in the press, Facebook, this forum, or P-A, anyone else think that's strange?

I agree with you. In particular, there are plenty of retired farangs in places such as Pattaya, that present ideal conditions to diffuse the virus. No WoM, no posts, etc... It's very strange.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, rooster59 said:

He warned all Thai workers returning from South Korea, except those working in the cities of Daegu, the centre of COVID-19 outbreak in the country, and in the northern Gyeongsang province, to comply strictly with the 14-day self-quarantine measure, otherwise they will be sent to state facilities for confinement.

To ensure strict compliance, he made clear that the returnees from South Korea will not be allowed to confine themselves at home, but at locations in the vicinity of their homes and under the supervision of health volunteers and local officials.

Can someone tell me in plain English what this means. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, sammieuk1 said:

So its not 100% under control then we need someone fast to order it gone ????

What will be will be, things will go the go the way of China unless some serious thinking by doctor"s isn't done. 

On 3/7/2020 at 4:16 AM, Grumpy John said:

Have the lackluster Thai government been shamed into actually doing something because of the virility of posters on Thai Visa I  wonder???

Shame to the European and American governments for absolutely botching up this issue as irresponsible and causing world wide spread. Thailand is doing an incredible job of containing it, along with India. WHO is going to reward them after the issue is settled. And they do deserve it. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/7/2020 at 5:45 PM, sammieuk1 said:

So its not 100% under control then we need someone fast to order it gone ????

The Prime minister could just demand that it has to be gone by 7 days. I believe that is standard operating procedure.  But it doesn't really matter. It will be all gone by the end of songkran.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:03 AM, candide said:

I agree with you. In particular, there are plenty of retired farangs in places such as Pattaya, that present ideal conditions to diffuse the virus. No WoM, no posts, etc... It's very strange.

Maybe, they're all deed! 

• Sad 1

In South Korea only 2-4 percent of tests have been positive (from White House live stream doctor saying last night) so 400 tests and 10 cases per day sound about right. The good news is this will not become anywhere near similar epidemic in Thailand as in Italy or Wuhan. Coronavirus is very sensitive to hot and humid. The optimum spreading temperature is 8,72 C. 

11 minutes ago, Timwin said:

In South Korea only 2-4 percent of tests have been positive (from White House live stream doctor saying last night) so 400 tests and 10 cases per day sound about right. The good news is this will not become anywhere near similar epidemic in Thailand as in Italy or Wuhan. Coronavirus is very sensitive to hot and humid. The optimum spreading temperature is 8,72 C. 

Where did you get this information? 

The WHO say 

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:10 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Shame to the European and American governments for absolutely botching up this issue as irresponsible and causing world wide spread. Thailand is doing an incredible job of containing it, along with India. WHO is going to reward them after the issue is settled. And they do deserve it. 

What job would that be? They're doing virtually nothing. Same as Cambodia and Laos, who have even lower infection rates. They're just lucky. Ideal temperature and humidity to reduce the spread and, more importantly, a culture that discourages personal contact, wais not handshakes, no public embracing or holding hands etc. Budda is looking after them, not the totally incompetent government.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Coronavirus is very sensitive to hot and humid. The optimum spreading temperature is 8,72 C. 

That is the current hypothosis, but as yet (to my limited knowledge) unproven fully.

Fucci and others have spoken about their "assumptions" of temperarture 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

That is the current hypothosis, but as yet (to my limited knowledge) unproven fully.

Findings came back from a group of Chinese experts in the last few days that seems to confirm that this is indeed the case with Covid-19.

15 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

The WHO say 

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

Yes, it can spread in Thailand but nowhere nearly as wildly as below 10 C as in northern Italy now. Here is one article about the coronavirus. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074131/coronavirus-highly-sensitive-high-temperatures-dont-bank-summer

Just now, Timwin said:

Yes, it can spread in Thailand but nowhere nearly as wildly as below 10 C as in northern Italy now. Here is one article about the coronavirus. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074131/coronavirus-highly-sensitive-high-temperatures-dont-bank-summer

Have you ever been to Italy? The locals can't keep their hands off each other in public. Hugging kissing and embracing even relative strangers. The most touchy feely nation on the planet. That's why Covid-19 loves them so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Thailand already proves the theory. Thailand should be by now much much worse. 10-15 days ahead of northern Italy by now with all ICU beds filled and all out chaos out there. That is because much larger population exposure to Chinese people in recent months. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timwin said:

There are many caveats in that report, as well as the fact that so far the study has not been peer reviewed

Interestingbut so conclusive IMHO, precautions 101 need to be observed

13 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

The WHO say 

Where did the info come from, well it is a school of thought at the moment, yet to be peer reviewed and further research undertaken - so not completely without foundation. 

But personal hygiene and care is always essential not only with regard to Covid-19 but also taking prescribed medication, driving on Thai roads, excessive alcohol intake, illicit drugs, smoking etc., life is a risk, a risk we all take every day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Have you ever been to Italy? The locals can't keep their hands off each other in public. Hugging kissing and embracing even relative strangers. The most touchy feely nation on the planet. That's why Covid-19 loves them so much.

And we (me) love them, their culture, art music food, architecture. Their politics another matter

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

From what I initially read, the situation in Italy was kicked off by workers from Wuhan returning after CNY, they were all employed in the clothing industry! A lot of the clothing industry workers in Italy are Chinese.

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Where did the info come from, well it is a school of thought at the moment, yet to be peer reviewed and further research undertaken - so not completely without foundation. 

But personal hygiene and care is always essential not only with regard to Covid-19 but also taking prescribed medication, driving on Thai roads, excessive alcohol intake, illicit drugs, smoking etc., life is a risk, a risk we all take every day. 

I am gradually coming round to the opinion that Thailand is a low risk area for contracting Covid-19. However being an individual who is in a high risk category, I have self isolated. I don't leave my premises, have discouraged visitors and my hand washing has reached OCD levels. Also doing the obvious health wise, eating fresh fruit and veg etc.

Better safe than sorry.

16 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Actually it is a known characteristic of corona viruses as a general group.

What is assumption  is that the same will be true of this specific corona virus. We cannot be certain since it has not been in human populations before. But everything known about other corona viruses, including SARs which this one is genetically  similar to,  suggests this would be the case. It also would help explain the comparatively slow spread in Southeast and Southern Asian countries which, of course, are entering their hottest seasons. This does not make those countries immune but it does mean the virus will have more trouble surviving and replicating  widely in them,  which could mean both fewer cases and milder ones than would otherwise be the case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Thailand already proves the theory. Thailand should be by now much much worse. 10-15 days ahead of northern Italy by now with all ICU beds filled and all out chaos out there. That is because much larger population exposure to Chinese people in recent months. 

Though I agree with you about the heat and Humidity theory, there is another discrepancy at play between Thailand and Italy.

The Virus seems to affect the elderly more, so the higher the percentage of an elderly population, the higher the savere and reportable cases, so I did a google search.  

Italy:               22.2% over 65

Thailand :        12.9% over 65 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Actually it is a known characteristic of corona viruses as a general group.

What is assumption  is that the same will be true of this specific corona virus. We cannot be certain since it has not been in human populations before. But everything known about other corona viruses, including SARs which this one is genetically  similar to,  suggests this would be the case. It also would help explain the comparatively slow spread in Southeast and Southern Asian countries which, of course, are entering their hottest seasons. This does not make those countries immune but it does mean the virus will have more trouble surviving and replicating  widely in them,  which could mean both fewer cases and milder ones than would otherwise be the case.

No longer an assumption. Studies are now coming out of China that suggest that this is particularly true for Covid-19. Happy days. Bring on the rainy season. Songkran will see off this blot on the landscape.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No longer an assumption. Studies are now coming out of China that suggest that this is particularly true for Covid-19. Happy days. Bring on the rainy season. Songkran will see off this blot on the landscape.

The study has not been peer reviewed yet. There is another one that said SARS-CoV-2 share genetic material with HIV... While I think it's likely the study is correct, MERS another coronavirus peaked in April in Saudi Arabia. 

images (33).jpeg

Edited by Tayaout