Number of confirmed Covid-19 patients in Thailand remains at 50

webfact

Look at the COVID-19 figures of few other neighboring nations,  a group including  Indonesia,  Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore as well as Thailand. 

Lowest is Indonesia around 10 cases and highest is Singapore around 120 cases,   as of March 8, 2020.  Thailand is around 50 as of now.   So many PRC traveled to all these nations in SE Asia during Jan20-Jan 31, 2020 period  (  Chinese New Year was Jan25, 2020 ).    

Go figure yourself.  

For the heat here,  Not scared me at all.  

• Like 1

Of course, we all believe that the Chinese figures since the crackdown are truthful. Not saying that they have millions, just maybe they are 'helping' the decline in cases - good for their government's image. What is happening in the countryside, no-one knows.

It does seem that South-east Asia has some special exemption. Why? No-one seems to be investigating that.

• Like 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/thai-airways-cabin-crew-wrestle-102500180.html

Thai Airways cabin crew wrestle Chinese passenger into her seat after she 'deliberately coughed at them'

This is the moment a Chinese passenger was wrestled into her seat by a plane's cabin crew after she allegedly coughed on them.

Cabin crew in face masks pile on top of the woman, pushing her down in to her seat as worried passengers flee from their seats.

The female passenger reportedly became angry after being told that the aircraft was being held for up to 10 hours for coronavirus checks after landing at the Shanghai Pudong Airport.

Staff writer
AOL.com9 March 2020

I don't believe the official numbers.

Went to the laundrette yesterday. Men sitting outside were sneezing and coughing. Had to exchange some money and and old Thai lady came out the shop and did a massive cough in my direction. I stepped back a few feeet immediately and motioned "mask". She just grinned. I told her Corona and she just shuffled back into the store.

Walking the dog earlier today - the bin men outside were sneezing.

I have no doubt in two weeks, we are going to be overwhelmed. Heat kills the virus my ass... it's out in the open and our numbers are only going to start shooting up.

Edited by ThePugAndMe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThePugAndMe said:

I don't believe the official numbers.

Went to the laundrette yesterday. Men sitting outside were sneezing and coughing. Had to exchange some money and and old Thai lady came out the shop and did a massive cough in my direction. I stepped back a few feeet immediately and motioned "mask". She just grinned. I told her Corona and she just shuffled back into the store.

Walking the dog earlier today - the bin men outside were sneezing.

I have no doubt in two weeks, we are going to be overwhelmed. Heat kills the virus my ass... it's out in the open and our numbers are only going to start shooting up.

No test = no virus.

Only the Thai cabbie has contracted the virus in the country.

The rest have been the  wretched foreigners

Hundreds dead, burnt without an autopsy & covered up for the sake of face.

7 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the aircraft was being held for up to 10 hours for coronavirus checks after landing at the Shanghai Pudong Airport.

This is standard now in China because so many Chinese are suppressing their fevers with medicine. They keep them on the plane to give the medicine time to wear off.

These are the same Chinese who are traveling around Thailand.

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

No test = no virus.

Only the Thai cabbie has contracted the virus in the country.

The rest have been the  wretched foreigners

Hundreds dead, burnt without an autopsy & covered up for the sake of face.

Exactly. If you don’t test and make it difficult to test, you don’t have a virus problem. 

12 hours ago, vangrop said:

Even being a neighbour from china Thailand is one of the most corona safe countries in the world. Please explain this miracle

Even being a "near" neighbor from China, unless you're atlas is different from mine!

Explain: Possibly that the tourists who visited during December and January were not from Wuhan and/or were not infected. In January the Chinese government banned overseas travel and clamped down on travel within China. https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-china-bans-citizens-booking-overseas-tours-2020-1

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, saengd said:

Even being a "near" neighbor from China, unless you're atlas is different from mine!

Explain: Possibly that the tourists who visited during December and January were not from Wuhan and/or were not infected. In January the Chinese government banned overseas travel and clamped down on travel within China. https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-china-bans-citizens-booking-overseas-tours-2020-1

I don't have the link but Wuhan is the prefered tourist destination for Wuhan resident. There was from memory 30K of them in Thailand before the lockdown and couple hundred thousand of them went to Thailand in the preceding weeks. Some of them are the origin of the cases in Thailand. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

And now the whole of Italy is under lockdown (just announced) and Thailand can't manage a few villages ...

Which assumes of course that quarantine achieves anything much. Well, delay is useful as the health systems gear up slowly.

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I don't have the link but Wuhan is the prefered tourist destination for Wuhan resident. There was from memory 30K of them in Thailand before the lockdown and couple hundred thousand of them went to Thailand in the preceding weeks. Some of them are the origin of the cases in Thailand. 

When you can show me reliable stats. or a link to a source that clearly shows where Wuhan residents spend their vacation I may begin to believe you, until that time your post is very firmly in the, "you made it up camp". Personally I can't imagine anyone having a handle on that sort of data.

4 minutes ago, saengd said:

When you can show me reliable stats. or a link to a source that clearly shows where Wuhan residents spend their vacation I may begin to believe you, until that time your post is very firmly in the, "you made it up camp". Personally I can't imagine anyone having a handle on that sort of data.

I understand and usually provide links but I'm too lazy today. 

It's starting to look like COVID-19 is not very deadly in hot countries.

India has had 56 total cases, and zero deaths. For a country of 1.3 billion people, this is pretty astonishing. Virtually no cases in Africa. No deaths in Indonesia (population 265M).

Only a handful of people have died in hot countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nkg said:

India has had 56 total cases, and zero deaths. For a country of 1.3 billion people, this is pretty astonishing. Virtually no cases in Africa. No deaths in Indonesia (population 265M).

A lot of these countries don't test a lot or don't have access to test kit. You could also have said nobody died in most countries. I remember when people said it only affects Wuhan. Funny how the goal post keep moving. Let's do like most countries and not get ready. What could go wrong? 

Edited by Tayaout

It could well be that Thailand's stats are not accurate, but what we can see around the world (especially Europe) is that Thailand doesn't seem to be any sort of factor in the spread of the disease worldwide. If it truly is in the hundreds/thousands, as many claim, that wouldn't be the case. Look at how many in europe could be traced to people who'd been to Italy, for example.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichardL said:

It could well be that Thailand's stats are not accurate, but what we can see around the world (especially Europe) is that Thailand doesn't seem to be any sort of factor in the spread of the disease worldwide. If it truly is in the hundreds/thousands, as many claim, that wouldn't be the case. Look at how many in europe could be traced to people who'd been to Italy, for example.

I don't claim there is any crazy amount of infected people in Thailand but Thailand has exported multiple cases. This mean there is probably a lot more cases that have not been detected and that's very dangerous because how long the incubation period is and how quick the healthcare system get overwhelmed when it reachs critical mass. 

Edited by Tayaout

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

A lot of these countries don't test a lot or don't have access to test kit. You could also have said nobody died in most countries. I remember when people said it only affects Wuhan. Funny how the goal post keep moving. Let's do like most countries and not get ready. What could go wrong? 

Not getting ready would be ridiculous. The death toll in Italy is extremely worrying.

Australia is an example of a hot country with excellent medicine and strong links to China. They currently stand at 3 deaths and 116 infected. Let's see if those numbers increase exponentially in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nkg said:

Correct and this study support your theory.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3550308

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:26 AM, Tayaout said:

In yesterday's paper an epidemiologist from University S. Hampton says Thailand imported 207 cases from Wuhan before travel was restricted Jan 22. The R0 is about 2.5 and generation/infection period about 4.5 days. So about 10.66 generations. That is 2.5^10.66 = 17,459 new cases from last generation period. Of course the total infections includes all the proceeding generation periods (exponents of the R0) : 2.5^2 + 2.5^3 + 2.5^3...

And unfortunately the above numbers represents only one persons infectivity out of the 207. Hopefully the hot weather factor if factual could decrease spread. 

Edited by morrobay

I think there will be a spike soon. In the office i work in, in central BKK a notice was circulated last night that a shop owner in the retail section (Farang who had not been abroad since 2 Feb) had tested positive.

Everyone getting nervous now, and offices starting to close for a day or so. Seems people dont really know what to do, close, not close etc. Better err on the side of caution.

Government also released a memo saying it had moved to stage 3, i.e uncontrolled transmission, so looks like we could be about to see a large spike here.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I think there will be a spike soon. In the office i work in, in central BKK a notice was circulated last night that a shop owner in the retail section (Farang who had not been abroad since 2 Feb) had tested positive.

Everyone getting nervous now, and offices starting to close for a day or so. Seems people dont really know what to do, close, not close etc. Better err on the side of caution.

Government also released a memo saying it had moved to stage 3, i.e uncontrolled transmission, so looks like we could be about to see a large spike here.

Weather can change, but sometimes All the Seasons is not the place to hang around and have a salad.

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Thanks Tayaout. Excellent video. 

Also your earlier post re numbers tested in Thailand. Au has numbers closer to 100. One reason is number of folk tested. My home state (Victoria) has population ~ 6 mill. 2 more cases overnight. Both returned from USA. The point is that state is testing 1000 people per day as of Tues.

Thailand, I believe is testing 500?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Tayaout. Excellent video. 

Also your earlier post re numbers tested in Thailand. Au has numbers closer to 100. One reason is number of folk tested. My home state (Victoria) has population ~ 6 mill. 2 more cases overnight. Both returned from USA. The point is that state is testing 1000 people per day as of Tues.

Thailand, I believe is testing 500?

I don't know about Thailand but there is some outdated info here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/