Red Parking Cards at Makro

dingdongrb

Over the past several weeks Makro (Hangdong) has again started passing out those ridiculous red cards for parking.

Nice of them to start this up so that there's yet another way to pass the virus around.

I've always wondered the purpose of those cards, do folks actually steal vehicles out of the parking lot?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Hmmmmm.... Do you think they clean those cards after each person touches them? Just like they clean the handles of the carts.....  LOL

That doesn't answer my question.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Wow, do I have to explain it to you?  Ok, I will.

Someone carrying virus sneezes or coughs and exposes the virus on the card. The card is then passed to another person who touches the card and then exposes themselves.

I noticed that the security workers passing out and collecting the cards are wearing gloves.....  I wonder why?

Interesting theory, has that been proven by any scientific studies ?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Wow, do I have to explain it to you?  Ok, I will.

Someone carrying virus sneezes or coughs and exposes the virus on the card. The card is then passed to another person who touches the card and then exposes themselves.

I noticed that the security workers passing out and collecting the cards are wearing gloves.....  I wonder why?

The cards are filthy at the places I go to (Bluport and Villa Hua Hin), I've never seen one at the local Makro before and I've been going there for like 7 or 8 years, maybe next time.

8 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It has been proven in common sense studies that human to human contact dose increase the chances of infection greatly whereby bacteria and viruses transfers through sharing infected items and surfaces...  

So based on that then this has nothing to do with coronavirus and the OP is just scaremongering.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

...and has it been proven it can't?  Hmmmm...  It has been reported that the virus can live on surfaces. Why do you think the Security folks are wearing gloves..... and when I was in Rimping the other day I noticed all the cashiers were wearing gloves.

But don't mind me, go ahead and lick that red card the next time you go to Makro.

Ewwww, you lick the cards.... you have bigger issues than a very remote chance of some flu strain transmission from a plastic card.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, brommers said:

If you read all the medical advice it clearly states that the virus can survive on surfaces for a considerable time. Airlines have stopped giving out refills of wine, water etc to minimise the chance of transmission.

So I for one will not be going to Makro for as long as they hand out these potentially dirty cards.

I think refills are the least of their problems.

Just watched a documentary on airplane cleanliness. Everything in the plane is contaminated - tray tables, seat pockets, seat belts. The scary thing is that the most contaminated surfaces were the headrests!

Time to give up air travel ... ?

Edited by Curt1591

8 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Those nasty little cards could be the least of your threats. How about the troller handle? All the items that have been picked up and put back on the self? My wife sprays the trolley handle with alcohol!

Yepper.... I take a clean paper towel (I store a roll in my glove box). Soak that paper towel in the alcohol spray/gel provided and wipe the handle of the trolley down good before touching it.

I'm not only concerned about the virus but the fecal matter that may exist due to the many I've seen that do not wash their hands when coming out of the restroom.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

There have been many studies on fomites (surfaces that hold contamination). Surprisingly, on hard surfaces, such as metal, glass and plastic, viruses last longer than on porous ones. If you want documentation, do a search for "fomites". 

Those nasty little cards could be the least of your threats. How about the troller handle? All the items that have been picked up and put back on the self? My wife sprays the trolley handle with alcohol!

And then there is all that nasty money! My wife, bless her little heart, is a true germaphobe. She carries 2 wallets - one for paying and one for any change returned. When we get home, she literally launders our money ... ????

I think you are replying to the wrong person and it would be better to direct this reply to those that seem to think that little red card can't pass along the Corona virus (or any other health concerns).

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Interesting theory, has that been proven by any scientific studies ?

yes, the virus can survive on surfaces for up to 28 days. In this climate, likely less than a week but they are really unhygienic as they are being passed around so often and handled by many people

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yepper.... I take a clean paper towel (I store a roll in my glove box). Soak that paper towel in the alcohol spray/gel provided and wipe the handle of the trolley down good before touching it.

Do you also wipe each and every item you purchase twice ?

Once before you take it off the shelf and once after the Makro checkout staff touch the item as them move things around inside the cart to scan the barcodes ?

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Nice of them to start this up so that there's yet another way to pass the virus around.

After loading up the car I return the trolley to the front of the toilets which is where you get them from before you go into Makro, then wash my hands with soap and water, take a leak, then rewash my hands, can't have my picatchu catch the virus now can I.

If running late, will use baby wipes to clean my hands as best possible, then after passing the card back to the security guy, open my hands for the wife to drop some sanitzer in, that said I now carry a small bottle in my jean pocket, because I know when I am at the local having a beer and shooting some stick, I need to wash my hands with soap and water, then afterwards apply sanitize, so as much as the cards might be yukkie, so are pool sticks.

I also believe the cards are given out to reduce the amounts of car thefts, but if your a farang and say you lost it as I jokingly did when exiting in my car, with the security guy saying "mi pen rye" and then saluting me and waving me on, me then handing him the card smiling, can't say he was impressed though ????

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Do you also wipe each and every item you purchase twice ?

Once before you take it off the shelf and once after the Makro checkout staff touch the item as them move things around inside the cart to scan the barcodes ?

No, but I don't touch my face until after I get home and wash my hands thoroughly.

Hey, you forgot to add the receipt that is handled by that robust receipt checker at the door before exiting....  ????

NOTE: I generally pull items on the shelves from behind the ones in the front in order to get the fresher ones. 

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I also believe the cards are given out to reduce the amounts of car thefts, 

...as I asked, I wonder how many vehicles are actually stolen from Makro parking lots?

When querying about why the red card process started again I was informed that it was due to a new general manager that took over.

You most likely have more chance of dying ,just getting to Makro,

there have been 1200 + people already killed on Thai roads this year....so far.

So you may as well stay at home with the door locked,as if you go to Makro,

your going to be touching something,and you can contract it at 2 metres 

from an infected person,my local Makro has always handed out cards,

about the only place that does,Big C,Tesco, have already stopped them.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1