Tourism officials extolling Pattaya’s charms but few listening

webfact

Arrogance is not the remedy to attract visitors and expats, hopefully Immigration will remember that when

things get better.  

"It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice".

• Like 1

My partner and daughter are off to Pattaya for 3-4 days on Thursday. The hotel has today sent us an email saying that they are closing one tower down due to a downturn in business so all resevations will be moved into the other tower. 

It makes good business sense if the custom is not there and their honesty is refreshing.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh it looked pretty darned busy on New Year's Eve 2019/20. 

Wow, one night in 365, I have to be in town on Wednesday afternoon, I might have a drive around after my meeting and take a look at beach road and surrounding areas, just to see what all the fuss is about.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism officials are telling anyone and everyone that there’s never been a better time to visit Pattaya than now, but there are few indications anyone is listening.

Have "tourism officials" ever visited Pattaya?

If you want to get overpriced, extorted by corrupt cops, beaten up by motorcycle taxi drivers for no reason, mugged by lady-boys or ripped off at pubs and bars, and don't forget about the "jetski scammers"Pattaya is the right place for you.

Let's face it, Pattaya is NOT a holiday resort anymore, it's the worst $h!thole on this planet.  

Edited by bander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes it is lovely with out all the Chinese. Please take down all the Chinese signs and make Pattaya Thai again.

Get rid of the Russian signs at the same time. And all thousands of signs promoting new condo buildings. New times to come ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

My partner and daughter are off to Pattaya for 3-4 days on Thursday. The hotel has today sent us an email saying that they are closing one tower down due to a downturn in business so all resevations will be moved into the other tower. 

It makes good business sense if the custom is not there and their honesty is refreshing.

Holiday Inn I’m assuming, the better/newer/executive rooms are in the newer block, have they reduced the price of the booking?

Nothing wrong with the Bay Tower though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justin case said:

free tourist visa 365 days for every farang ? lol

Now your talking Pattaya would certainly see a increase but the banks withholding 800,000 would be hit big-time.

Was just there last week for the first time, but spent more time in Jomtien. I didn’t think I would like the place, but actually found it pretty good. As for no tourists, my son asked me, “Where are the Thai people? All I see are farang.” 
And that was pretty accurate, wall to wall farang......a lot of Russians, no Chinese, some Koreans. 
I thought the place was supposed to be empty!!!!

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Holiday Inn I’m assuming, the better/newer/executive rooms are in the newer block, have they reduced the price of the booking?

Nothing wrong with the Bay Tower though.

Moved all to Bay Tower. I’ve never been to Pattaya. The missus and daughter can tell me all about it when they come home. Price was ok anyway.

11 hours ago, nev said:

They want us Western expats back now, Pity as it's to late.

Som Num Na.

"Pattaya’s streets feel as if it’s late-July, the dead of low season, and Chairat said the country already has lost 10 billion baht in tourism revenue from the loss of 5 million Chinese tourists, who were banned in January from traveling abroad to prevent the spread of the coronavirus."

Naw, with Chinese tourists spending 2,000 baht each on their 7-day stay (10,000,000,000 ÷ 5,000,000), who would want Western expats back?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, stouricks said:

By my O level maths, 10 billion divided by 5 million = 2000. Were they really spending that much?    555  LOL

LOL. Didn't know I'd be spending as much as 60 Chinamen this holiday. Not in Thailand though, were it is "cool" to bark insults at foreigners these days. Corona virus?? No that's not the reason why I don't spend my holiday dollars in this place...

3 hours ago, Call said:

Yes it is lovely with out all the Chinese. Please take down all the Chinese signs and make Pattaya Thai again.

Get rid of the Russian signs at the same time. And all thousands of signs promoting new condo buildings. New times to come ????

Yes, and increase the retirement visa requirement from 800k to 10 million baht, to get rid of the expat vermin from this fine country, known as a Kingdom. 

Maybe we will see Thai's wearing red baseball caps saying, "Make Thailand Thai again."  ????

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, nev said:

They want us Western expats back now, Pity as it's to late.

Som Num Na.

Yeah, hotel operators, and others always chase the big buck and try to extract as much as they can from short term stayers, but they forget the long term steady paying customers that pay their rent year long. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not in Thailand though, were it is "cool" to bark insults at foreigners these days. Corona virus?? No that's not the reason why I don't spend my holiday dollars in this place...

Most of the thais that bark insults to foreigners are the taxi trash and "barking " is certainly an accurate term. And that's been going on long before the virus. So good call.

Given that crime never takes a break, I'd be afraid to walk around Pattaya without the safety in numbers that normally protects the average tourist. 

Imagine 100 ladyboy pickpockets with only 50 tourists to choose from.

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Wow, one night in 365

One in 366 actually.... 

I think in the midst of this infection situation would be the wrong time to evaluate tourist numbers. In Pattaya and Milan. 

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Given that crime never takes a break, I'd be afraid to walk around Pattaya without the safety in numbers that normally protects the average tourist. 

Imagine 100 ladyboy pickpockets with only 50 tourists to choose from.

It must be depressing to live in fear like that.