Weinstein lawyers seek five years in jail for sex crime conviction

snoop1130

Weinstein lawyers seek five years in jail for sex crime conviction

rg4r.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Film producer Harvey Weinstein arrives at the New York Criminal Court during his ongoing sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., February 24, 2020. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

(Reuters) - Lawyers for former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted last month of rape and sexual assault, have asked a New York court to take into consideration his health and age and sentence him to prison for five years.

Weinstein, 67, faces up to 29 years in prison after being found guilty of sexually assaulting former production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and raping former aspiring actress Jessica Mann in 2013.

“Please accept this letter as our request that the court sentence Mr Weinstein to a period of incarceration of five years,” three of Weinstein’s lawyers said in a letter addressed to Justice James Burke of state Supreme Court in Manhattan.

Reuters saw a copy of the letter, which was signed by lawyers Damon Cheronis, Donna Rotunno and Arthur Aidala and dated Monday. Sentencing is due on Wednesday.

Weinstein’s conviction was a milestone for the #MeToo movement, which was fueled by his case starting in late 2017. The movement inspired women to accuse hundreds of powerful men - in entertainment, business, the media, politics and other fields - of sexual misconduct.

Last week, Weinstein was transferred to New York’s Rikers Island jail complex from Bellevue Hospital after undergoing a procedure to clear a heart blockage.

In their letter, Weinstein’s lawyers mentioned his poor health and age, as well as his “accomplishments” and “charitable endeavors”.

“His life story, his accomplishments, and struggles are simply remarkable and should not be disregarded in total because of the jury’s verdict,” they said.

Jurors acquitted Weinstein on the two most serious charges against him, predatory sexual assault, which carried a maximum life sentence.

New York prosecutors said last week Weinstein should get a prison sentence that reflects not only his conviction for sexually assaulting two women, but a “lifetime of abuse towards others”.

Throughout his adult life, Weinstein has shown a “staggering lack of empathy, treating others with disdain and inhumanity,” Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance’s office said in a letter to Burke.

Weinstein, who reshaped the independent film industry with critically acclaimed pictures such as “The English Patient” and “Shakespeare in Love,” fell from grace after more than 70 women, most of them young actresses and others in the movie business, accused him of rape and sexual misconduct dating back decades.

He denied the accusations and said any sexual encounters were consensual.

In addition to his convictions in New York, Weinstein faces several felony charges in Los Angeles in connection with alleged sexual assaults against two women in 2013.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-10

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Lawyers for former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted last month of rape and sexual assault, have asked a New York court to take into consideration his health and age and sentence him to prison for five years.

**** that. Give him the full 25, with no possibility of parole. 

• Like 1

A tortured mind he has not, a remorseful mind he has not

a resentful mind he has, a vindictive mind he has, 

a cyclops  who has succumbed to a will amongst women to be not afraid 

anymore and speak the truth, 

face your  long custodial time please, give him a date of release on parole and on that day 

do revoke that release, at some stage during that comprhension he may just understand how crushing his actions have been. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Did he show any consideration to his victims? Probably not! Why should then age be a factor? Show me a law in the world, that states that older people shall get a leaner judgement for their crimes.

"Under the Revised Penal Code, one of the circumstances that may mitigate criminal liability is when the offender is under 18 years of age or over 70 years." Philippines.

Only because you asked for it. ???? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

"Under the Revised Penal Code, one of the circumstances that may mitigate criminal liability is when the offender is under 18 years of age or over 70 years." Philippines.

Only because you asked for it. ???? 

Thanks! ???? 

Personally I am not a big fan of light sentences for rich and powerful people, nor for non-violent rape cases. But this guy is a real creep and should be given the maximum not the minimum. But you know he will appeal and get bail, then appeal again. He'll probably be dead before he has a chance to see the inside of a real jail.

3 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Almost every movie with people I see now days I wonder who the actress sexed to get the part, even old movies on TV.

Very True, the more you learn how the ‘industry’ works,

the more you tend to see things in a different light.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Did he show any consideration to his victims? Probably not! Why should then age be a factor? Show me a law in the world, that states that older people shall get a leaner judgement for their crimes.

Its in the sentencing principles of what judges have to consider when determining sentence.

21 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Its in the sentencing principles of what judges have to consider when determining sentence.

Ok, good comment. Thanks! Is that same sane principles that can sentence a 30 year old to over 250 years in jail? What does the judge consider then?

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, good comment. Thanks! Is that same sane principles that can sentence a 30 year old to over 250 years in jail? What does the judge consider then?

Ptetty much. Congress sets the sentencing law from minimum to maximum for offences.

Of course the high range for the worst case of that offence. Low range for the less severe case.

Prosecution says why it should be high. Of course defence then states the mitigating circumstances, age, health, less severe than others, bad childhood like molested as a child etc. 

The judge is duty bound to take everything into consideration. If they dont then it gets appealed as manifestly excessive or manifestly inadequate. Depending on who appeals.

I have never understood why the US gives such sentences. Surely just say life sentence and set a non parole period. For the sentence you describe i would think there was not much of mitigation and lots of evidence that the guy was beyond help. But it seems a stupid srntence.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I think he paid most, if not all, of his accusers with cash, careers, fame, etc.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rgraham said:

I think he paid most, if not all, of his accusers with cash, careers, fame, etc.

Yeah, Rose whatsherface has gone from a children's home to $50 million.

She hasn't done badly out of it.

For $50M he could have played with my pot plants, and I'd have left a happy chappy.

My employers f$#@ed me plenty and I left with nowhere near that much at age 45.

And I would have enjoyed the parties and coke as well.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1