Three measures to solve air pollution aimed at vehicle owners

snoop1130

Three measures to solve air pollution aimed at vehicle owners

By The Nation

800_c0f1fe937066609cae83675d6dd42602.jpeg

The Department of Land Transport has issued three urgent measures to fight air pollution, with smoke from vehicle exhaust being a major contributor, director-general Jirut Wisaljitr said today (March 10).

The first measure is black smoke detection, divided into three operation zones of Bangkok, 15 metropolitan areas, and 61 provinces. Between October 1, 2019, to March 1, officers found 2,934 out of 178,562 cars had black smoke that exceeded safety standards. The cars were sprayed with a special paint and owners faced a daily fine of Bt5,000 until the problem was corrected. These owners had to submit their cars to the department for a test and the paint was removed only if the vehicles passed. If the painted vehicle still failed the test and were used on streets, the drivers would be fined up to Bt50,000 and this would affect renewal of their annual car tax. No one has been found to violate the law so far.

The second measure is inspecting the condition of trucks at three stations – Phutthamonthon transport station on the outskirts of Bangkok, Rom Klao station and Khlong Luang. This measure would help reduce the PM2.5 dust particle problem as most trucks are diesel vehicles.

The third measure is gaining the cooperation of 3,000 vehicle inspection facilities nationwide to strengthen inspection of 7-year-old vehicles and 5-year-old motorcycles.

The department is also studying the issue of special vehicle licence plates, in which owners themselves can specify letters and numbers. The proceeds from these special plates will go to the Road Safety Fund. The study is expected to be completed by March-end.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383793

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-10

1 minute ago, trainman34014 said:

Tell that to the people of Chiang Mai...the most polluted City in the entire World !

Ok, I will tell them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I prefer to say that they [the ones who continue with the age-old practices] are uneducated, rather than stupid - and the stubborness is a symptom of the lack of knowledge.

This government, and others before it, have made little or no attempt to educate the farmers regarding modern practices which could give them more profit and a better life.

It's almost as if the elite of this country prefer to keep the masses poor and uneducated.

Yes but the elite have to suffer the effects of poor air quality too. Wouldn't it make more sense to stop the problem in it's tracks?

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:
1 hour ago, Hank Gunn said:

My wife complains even more than I do, and makes the valid point that these people should be composting their organics (i.e. leaves, rice stubble, brush, etc.) and using it to amend the very poor soil here, rather than buying fertilizer that they can barely afford. But as she said, they're too stupid and stubborn.

I prefer to say that they [the ones who continue with the age-old practices] are uneducated, rather than stupid - and the stubborness is a symptom of the lack of knowledge.

This government, and others before it, have made little or no attempt to educate the farmers regarding modern practices which could give them more profit and a better life.

It's almost as if the elite of this country prefer to keep the masses poor and uneducated.

Totally agree with you on the education of the proletariat here in Thailand, especially those out in the country. They're deliberately kept at a disadvantage regarding any upward mobility. I'm just relaying what my wife says, as even if she explains this to them they just won't change. The younger generation, her nieces and nephews who've been exposed to alternative views through social media, are much more open to her ideas but she still has to really explain things to them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Make more sense, or make more money. They have the choice.

If I were a member of the elite, the first thing I'd do is make sure the air quality is good so I can enjoy life more. It doesn't make sense to be driving around in a Porsche but have to endure the worst air quality in the world when you go outside.

Now I might keep people dumbed down (that's the way to make sure they don't rebel) but I wouldn't do that so I suffer too, because we all have to share the same air, whether rich or poor. And as you should know, rich and poor neighborhoods in Thailand are often located side by side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank Gunn said:

Totally agree with you on the education of the proletariat here in Thailand, especially those out in the country. They're deliberately kept at a disadvantage regarding any upward mobility. I'm just relaying what my wife says, as even if she explains this to them they just won't change. The younger generation, her nieces and nephews who've been exposed to alternative views through social media, are much more open to her ideas but she still has to really explain things to them.

Well...from my own experience I can tell you the older generation is just stubborn. My wife and I have tried explaining to her aunties that burning waste (although they only burn organic waste, not garbage, but still) is bad for their lungs and overall air quality, not to mention does nothing good for the soil, but when I offered to buy a wood chipper they said no...they prefer burning. The wood chipper will thus go to a project I'm working on where my employees actually do listen (well, I am paying them so they have no choice). 

Still no tax incentives and cheaper electric vehicles then???

The government are still not serious until the Import Tax on EV’s is cut. 

The rest, as another poster mentioned is just smoke and mirrors, when fields of stubble continued to be burned seasonally, when every day I see trucks, pickups and busses belching out black smoke we know that no one in a position of decision making power really cares - the issue to is too great to handle for those without sufficient reach, those with sufficient reach don’t care enough, their are bigger issues for them such as ensuring their retirement !

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Still no tax incentives and cheaper electric vehicles then???

The government are still not serious until the Import Tax on EV’s is cut. 

What would be the point in doing this? To allow the middle class people, who are usually driving a car which is only a few years old and does not pollute much, to buy a cheaper second car?

The most polluting vehicles are the 20+ years old ones which are used for business purposes. Money is spent only for absolutely necessary things on these vehicles and they will be used until they fall completely apart. Such vehicles will not be replaced by electric vehicles any time soon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, drbeach said:

If I were a member of the elite, the first thing I'd do is make sure the air quality is good so I can enjoy life more. It doesn't make sense to be driving around in a Porsche but have to endure the worst air quality in the world when you go outside.

Now I might keep people dumbed down (that's the way to make sure they don't rebel) but I wouldn't do that so I suffer too, because we all have to share the same air, whether rich or poor. And as you should know, rich and poor neighborhoods in Thailand are often located side by side.

But the rich guy driving the Porsche doesn’t really spend much time outdoors.  He doesn’t need to ride a motorbike in the filthy air or wait for a bus or even walk on the streets.  He goes from one air conditioned environment to the next.  Probably doesn’t even vacation in this country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The third measure is gaining the cooperation of 3,000 vehicle inspection facilities nationwide to strengthen inspection of 7-year-old vehicles and 5-year-old motorcycles.

'strengthen'? I'd assume that should be 'implement'.

When I've been it's just a case of looking at the car and completing the paperwork.

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Last year thailand reduce the plastic.

This year will be air pollution. 

Improving a lot. I love it!

I'll not be having any of the Kool-Aid that must be getting passed around.  Sorry, none for me.  In the middle of the world burning around us, who is paying attention to the air pollution?  I think everyone must be insane.  

Nothing is improving.  The only thing that improves here is the art of the lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysaora said:

I'll not be having any of the Kool-Aid that must be getting passed around.  Sorry, none for me.  In the middle of the world burning around us, who is paying attention to the air pollution?  I think everyone must be insane.  

Nothing is improving.  The only thing that improves here is the art of the lie.

You sound angry.

You right, a bit pollution today. Is 59 now. Maybe same tomorrow.  But will be Friday, Saturday etc.

5791BB68-499C-4B1D-882A-5EBD100DB8DC.png

E32DA3AA-782F-43B0-AFFD-3738B8B38770.png

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Last year thailand reduce the plastic.

This year will be air pollution. 

Improving a lot. I love it!

I won't hold my breath on their promise!! Eeerrrr or should I??? 5555???????????????? ????????????????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The second measure is inspecting the condition of trucks at three stations – Phutthamonthon transport station on the outskirts of Bangkok, Rom Klao station and Khlong Luang. This measure would help reduce the PM2.5 dust particle problem as most trucks are diesel vehicles.

Maybe they should take a look at the buses and HGV's first?!

The government sets the percentage of sugar cane that can be burnt and then processed at the sugar cane factories.  I believe it is currently 50%.

In this way the government controls and condones the burning of sugar cane.

"Bit of pollution..."

Classic.

I'm sure young children, the elderly and persons with various respiratory conditions are relieved by such "expertise".

Meanwhile in Bangkok PM25 is 109 (08:00), in Chaing Mai: 151 and Chiang Rai: 358.

Yes, all is well, carry on.