My first Extension of Stay using the Monthly Income from Abroad method

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if the income is legally earned here from working or investments. Working here would require you be on extension based upon marriage to or the parent of a Thai. Investments could be used in theory could be used for a retirement extension.

Since you are from Canada you can still do a statutory declaration at your embassy to prove your income. They do ask for proof of your income that can be bank statements or tax payments. That might be the only thing immigration would accept from you.

I am from Canada also, and I use the Income verification letter from Canadian Embassy as I show the Embassy my most current income tax statement, and I also have to show/give a copy to immigration and I have had no problem with this method.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, Kadilo said:

My New Pacific Cross Insurance pack including certificate due to start when current extension ends on the 21st. 

This was the passage from your OP that caught my eye in particular. So presumably your local office are prepared to grant retirement extensions on the basis of original OA visas without the need for a TGIA-approved insurance policy to be actually in place on the day when you submit your application (as has been reported on here in the case of Chaengwattana in Bangkok, for example)?

Out of curiosity whereabouts in NE Issan is your local immigration office located? Or is there a single office covering the whole region? This is not a part of Thailand with which I am familiar, I have to confess.

16 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Out of curiosity whereabouts in NE Issan is your local immigration office located? Or is there a single office covering the whole region?

There is a immigration office in every province in Isaan now.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

This was the passage from your OP that caught my eye in particular. So presumably your local office are prepared to grant retirement extensions on the basis of original OA visas without the need for a TGIA-approved insurance policy to be actually in place on the day when you submit your application (as has been reported on here in the case of Chaengwattana in Bangkok, for example)?

Out of curiosity whereabouts in NE Issan is your local immigration office located? Or is there a single office covering the whole region? This is not a part of Thailand with which I am familiar, I have to confess.

I planned the start date of the Policy to coincide with the renewal date of the 21st so I guess the answer to your question is yes. But to be honest they copied the certificate and my invoice (for some reason) and I’m not even sure they checked the start date. Maybe I am doing them a Mis service but the fact he had to ask me whether it was a Thai or Foreign policy suggests to me he has never heard of them, let alone check whether they were on the approved list. 

My area is Bueng Kan which is a new province in the NE about an hour or so from where I stay. 

Edited by Kadilo

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I was referring to Chiang Mai. That can’t be a small office, hence why I was surprised they weren’t offering the income method. 

I said some offices. I don't see CM as a small office,and I have a hard time believing that they don't accept the monthly income method. Maybe they prefer income letters as proof of pension instead of bank statements and credit advices etc etc. 

22 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Exactly opposite, big city not following directive and outline IO correctly enforcing. CM now joins the list of rogue IO's (like Jomtien, Saraburi, Petchabun).  In those areas there is a need for a Retiree-group that collectively confronts the IO by filing a complaint.  Before you dismiss the idea, that has been done successfully at the Roi-Et IO, which also incorrectly insisted on the embassy-letter when making use of the monthly-income method (while that method has actually been introduced for those that could not get an embassy-letter stating their income).

At Jomtien immigration the monthly income method is accepted. Even without an income letter from an embassy or consulate. Showing bank statements and in some cases credit advices works. 

45 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I said some offices. I don't see CM as a small office,and I have a hard time believing that they don't accept the monthly income method. Maybe they prefer income letters as proof of pension instead of bank statements and credit advices etc etc. 

If the gentleman said they don’t then that’s good enough for me. No need to question his honesty. 

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If the gentleman said they don’t then that’s good enough for me. No need to question his honesty. 

There are many expats living in CM, and I promise you that all of them are not using the 800k in the bank method. Many of them can still get income letters. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

There are many expats living in CM, and I promise you that all of them are not using the 800k in the bank method. Many of them can still get income letters. 

Yes but he is not talking about the previous income letter, he is talking about the monthly income method for those who now cannot get the Embassy letter, such as myself.......hence the thread. 

On 3/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Kadilo said:

For your information I asked Kasikorn for this and they said they didn’t provide it. 

I don't get  Insurance form requirement.  Are you an OA Retirement Visa holder?  I still find my Thai SSF insurance card covers nearly 100% of my medical expenses and Thailand and have almost zero out of pocket expenses.  I pay into the Private Fund after I stopped working. 

8 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

I don't get  Insurance form requirement.  Are you an OA Retirement Visa holder?  I still find my Thai SSF insurance card covers nearly 100% of my medical expenses and Thailand and have almost zero out of pocket expenses.  I pay into the Private Fund after I stopped working. 

Yes I am an OA Holder so it is a requirement to have a Thai Health Insurance Policy from one of their approved suppliers. 

9 hours ago, evadgib said:

Interesting thread. I'm due to renew soon and will be needing something useful from SCB. I'm not expecting any probs but will be glad when I have done one without an Embassy letter...

Good luck. I must admit I feel relieved that first one is out the way albeit a bit of an experience. I’m hoping next year should be more straightforward if they take the same documents as this year. At least I’ve got that as a reference going forwards. 

A lot depends where you go and how in tune they are with the changes and their experience. Any large busy office with lots of foreigners will undoubtedly be more savvy with the monthly income requirements and would have experienced the process of foreigners applying. 

I took the stance to go fully armed with as much evidence as poss and highlighted as much as I could to make it as easy as possible. Despite the delay and confusion I think that did help in the end. 

• Thanks 1