Australian ex Pats

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I did the math, once you look at what it would cost you to rent something for 2 years, buying a car and running it, rego, insurances, maintenance, fuel, and the cost of living in Oz for those two years, it would take you 4 years to re-coupe it, i.e. unless you have a place to stay for free, I mean to rent a room within Sydney's south, say Kogarah, it will cost you the better part of $200 a week x that x 52 weeks and there goes $10,400, the better part of half your pension, now I know I couldn't live in a room for under shared accommodation for 2 years, so let's say a one bedroom apartment, well $400 if your lucky, and there goes your pension.

Bes thing to do is you can time it and have the backing is to buy a place and hope in those two years the market kicks, enough to cover your time there, stamp duty, conveyancing fees, and agents selling fees.

Perhaps the outlay for a caravan and going on a caravan trip around Australia for 2 years might be the way to go, the sell the caravan when done, beats the c-r-a-p out of renting or buying a place IMO and you get to see OZ.

I'm near the end of my 2 years back in Aust , to enable my pension to become portable . I'm from Sydney but have rented a place in country NSW , sharing with an old divorcee mate .  3 bedroom 2 bathroom house for $350 a week ( 175 each ) .I get $62 per week rental assistance .Can walk to everything incl bus and trains which are $2.50 per day to any NSW country desto .4 free vouchers per year for in and out of Syd .So no need for a car . Also $250 dollar , free travel card each year . Makes the 2 years very affordable on pension . 

I divorced my wife before coming back for the 2 years . Can still get retirement visa based on dependent child when I go back .

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gimo said:

I'm near the end of my 2 years back in Aust , to enable my pension to become portable . I'm from Sydney but have rented a place in country NSW , sharing with an old divorcee mate .  3 bedroom 2 bathroom house for $350 a week ( 175 each ) .I get $62 per week rental assistance .Can walk to everything incl bus and trains which are $2.50 per day to any NSW country desto .4 free vouchers per year for in and out of Syd .So no need for a car . Also $250 dollar , free travel card each year . Makes the 2 years very affordable on pension . 

I divorced my wife before coming back for the 2 years . Can still get retirement visa based on dependent child when I go back .

I hope the cost of being away from the Mrs and the kid for 2 years is worth it, I couldn't do it.

31 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I hope the cost of being away from the Mrs and the kid for 2 years is worth it, I couldn't do it.

Being away from my kid has been hard to take . I need the pension money to support them .I have been to Thailand for 3 weeks  and my son  has been here for a month's holiday so far . He's coming again for another month soon . He loved his holiday last time ,especially the beach , and his English improved immensely . International services c'link says you're allowed to visit Thailand during the 2 years , but not for "too long" . The pension is stopped while you are away .I decided it was cheaper and more beneficial to bring him here for his school hols .

Edited by gimo
add info
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Bes thing to do is you can time it and have the backing is to buy a place and hope in those two years the market kicks, enough to cover your time there, stamp duty, conveyancing fees, and agents selling fees.

Perhaps the outlay for a caravan and going on a caravan trip around Australia for 2 years might be the way to go, the sell the caravan when done, beats the c-r-a-p out of renting or buying a place IMO and you get to see OZ.

I'd imagine that the majority of people who are returning back to Oz for 2 years to claim the pension,

wouldn't be in a financial position to purchase property.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, gimo said:

And your coming here because....

• Like 1
On 3/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, scorecard said:

I didn't now exact date I left Australia, the CL lady said 'just write in approx month and year'. It was accepted.  

Not in my case. Was told to obtain info from IMMI, IMMI then confirmed the dates  entered and exited from Oz. Clink then used the info to calculate the applicable Age Pension payment if I were to live overseas.

Someone mentioned above you have to be living in Oz for ten years to obtain portability which is incorrect. One has to live in Oz at working age over a minimum of ten years, with a least five years with no break from residency to apply for Age Pension.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/who-can-get-it/residence-rules

If one returns to Oz from living overseas & then applies for Age Pension and is granted, one has to wait two years for portability to be made available. During the waiting period you can exit Oz to go on holiday and so on.

Edited by simple1
1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Not in my case. Was told to obtain info from IMMI, IMMI then confirmed the dates  entered and exited from Oz. Clink then used the info to calculate the applicable Age Pension payment if I were to live overseas.

Someone mentioned above you have to be living in Oz for ten years to obtain portability which is incorrect. One has to live in Oz at working age over a minimum of ten years, with a least five years with no break from residency to apply for Age Pension.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/who-can-get-it/residence-rules

If one returns to Oz from living overseas & then applies for Age Pension and is granted, one has to wait two years for portability to be made available. During the waiting period you can exit Oz to go on holiday and so on.

Confirmed, as per last paragraph:

"If one returns to Oz from living overseas & then applies for Age Pension and is granted, one has to wait two years for portability to be made available. During the waiting period you can exit Oz to go on holiday and so on."

However there's a bit more in this specific scenario. CL told me as above, then I asked 'how long can I go on holidays'? Answer: 'The exact rules are not public but some rough guidelines' as follows:

1. Don't leave Oz on holidays until you have been back in for about 4 or 5 months.

2. Keep each holidays out of OZ to a short period of time e.g. 7 to 10 days. She also mentioned that some people believe the period you can be out is up to 6 weeks, but that's not true at all. The 6 weeks number refers to very different circumstances'.

3. In the 2 year period keep total number of trips outside to 3 or 4 exits and returns.

4. If you 'comply' with points 2. and 3. then the accumulation of your 2 years is not interrupted.

5. If you do leave and come back numerous times and for long periods then 2 things can happen:

a). The accumulation of your 2 years will stop when you depart and start again when you return.

b. If you go out for long periods and do this many many times, your accumulation of the 2 years will probably be cancelled and you must start again.

- The lady also mentioned that CL has real-time links with immigration records and your travel is on a file and if you break the guidelines it's automatically flagged to CL for action, most of which is automatic.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

The lady also mentioned that CL has real-time links with immigration records and your travel is on a file and if you break the guidelines it's automatically flagged to CL for action, most of which is automatic.

Absolutely true

47 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Confirmed, as per last paragraph:

"If one returns to Oz from living overseas & then applies for Age Pension and is granted, one has to wait two years for portability to be made available. During the waiting period you can exit Oz to go on holiday and so on."

However there's a bit more in this specific scenario. CL told me as above, then I asked 'how long can I go on holidays'? Answer: 'The exact rules are not public but some rough guidelines' as follows:

1. Don't leave Oz on holidays until you have been back in for about 4 or 5 months.

2. Keep each holidays out of OZ to a short period of time e.g. 7 to 10 days. She also mentioned that some people believe the period you can be out is up to 6 weeks, but that's not true at all. The 6 weeks number refers to very different circumstances'.

3. In the 2 year period keep total number of trips outside to 3 or 4 exits and returns.

4. If you 'comply' with points 2. and 3. then the accumulation of your 2 years is not interrupted.

5. If you do leave and come back numerous times and for long periods then 2 things can happen:

a). The accumulation of your 2 years will stop when you depart and start again when you return.

b. If you go out for long periods and do this many many times, your accumulation of the 2 years will probably be cancelled and you must start again.

- The lady also mentioned that CL has real-time links with immigration records and your travel is on a file and if you break the guidelines it's automatically flagged to CL for action, most of which is automatic.

Again different experience to you. Twice returned to Thailand for about five weeks during my waiting period for portability, no issues raised. Seems different Clink staff are not consistent.  Regards Immi / Clink IT linking, Yes correct. My wife receives a small NewStart allowance, each time we go out / in of Oz Clink is notified immediately, payment ceases / restarted automatically.

55 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Again different experience to you. Twice returned to Thailand for about five weeks during my waiting period for portability, no issues raised. Seems different Clink staff are not consistent.  Regards Immi / Clink IT linking, Yes correct. My wife receives a small NewStart allowance, each time we go out / in of Oz Clink is notified immediately, payment ceases / restarted automatically.

Thanks for sharing. I've shared the details (as I wrote above) that I was told in a call to CL with others, and like yourself most folks have had a different experience with CL re building the 2 years.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:19 AM, Aussie53 said:

Thanks all for your input. 

So pension portability is ok,  less afew small extras

If i sell my family home in Australia it is exempted from asset calculation for 12 months. 

If i buy a family home in thailand , is it exempted from asset calculation. I will ask clink. 

My only concern is if Clink cancel the pension after I sell up in Australia,.. I will need to return to Australia to reapply and remain in Australia for 2 years to get portability again.

Difficult if I sell up everything. 

Thanks all for your input  

Cheers Mate - all good.

If you sell your house while still in Aust and on the pension (before you leave) just make sure you tell CLink when you do (not when you are starting to sell it), and also then tell them you will be buying a new home with the funds - still deciding where.

If you sell when you have left, do the same and tell CLink that you have a new 'primary' residence - where you are renting/staying, and that you will be buying a new primary residence soon.

CLink cannot cancel pension for you selling home and moving overseas - lots of people do that. Just do not tell them anything until you have pension and have sold house - do not call/ask. The reason I say that is they will keep that on record and then when you go to leave after getting pension, they might deny portability because you always intended to leave once you got the pension.  You MUST always not tell them anything or ask questions after giving your ID. 

On 3/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, pdtokyo said:

With the greatest respect (and empathy ... i will soon be joining you in the same boat!) ...

1. You are probably morally and possibly legally correct ... but imo the chances of successfully arguing the amount of an Oz government benefit paid to an Oz citizen is to be determined by Thai or any non-Oz law or custom is Buckley's *

2. A similar reaction ... i see no chance any bureaucrat is going to be sympathetic to that argument and anyway, if your partner (like mine) is below the pensionable age in Australia, it's black and white ... you go onto the married single rate regardless ... whether your relationship is based in Krabi or Katoomba or whether her income is nil or millions.

A point regarding ... "nor does she have the opportunity to earn any income in Australia" ...  an Oz spouse visa certainly does allow the non-Oz partner to work, unlike Thailand where a work permit needs to be acquired seperately from extension by marriage, the Oz version includes permission to work for free The spouse visa even allows this up to 9 months before you get married (so one tiny "yay!" for Oz). The catch of course is that after her fortnightly earnings exceed a very low threshold, those earnings are assumed to be helping support you ... and your Clink payments will start tapering off.

No winners here, to Clink's peckish lion, we are all wilderbeest.

You are probably right - but once I am on pension and have dmoved - I am going to give it a try anyway.  I know the system fairly well and know how to argue a case - but as you said - probably fail - but worth the shot.

Your point is correct.  However, what I was referring to is when she is living with me in Thailand.  The amount that the 'couple rate' is based upon (reduced by) is based on 2 people living together in Australia, and part of that is the earning potential of either partner. What comes into that earning potential is the minimum salary anyone employed in Australia would receive.  There are also many other things that are assummed by Clink, and then generically applied by CLink, and then it becomes a 'rule' for the couple's rate being applied.  But it aint a rule based on the actual Act or Miniterial directions. I believe their argument is faulty (legally) and I will be taking them on about it.   But not yet - not now - when I have moved (if I fully move).

On 3/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I am sure there is something, somewhere in Australian legislation that covers living together (worldwide), similar to the word "abode" usual place of residence, be it a park or other, where a person usually resides.

I wouldn't focus on what Thailand has or hasn't, if your not legally married, tell them nothing, if asked, I am single for now, although Thailand has a lot of interesting young ladies looking for a partner, so I am told Clink, but why settle down, when the ocean is full of fish ????

Correct approach - tell them nothing.  

I have checked several times, there is nowhere in the Act (that I found) that declares people living together overseas, are included in the definition of a couple under Australian Law. The SSAct uses the Australian definition of a couple - it does not have any specific definition of what constitutes a couple overseas for an Australian living with a Foreigner. Otherwise of course, they woul dhave to account for the vast difference between earniong potential in Australia and all of the other countries. But just because it is difficult does not mean they are allowed to take such an easy way - and use the Australian definition in all situations. It used to be that a legal gay relationship overseas was not recognised (in certain regards people want to be classified as a couple), but that was changed - the downside being that those living as married overseas then lost the 2 single rates.

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I did the math, once you look at what it would cost you to rent something for 2 years, buying a car and running it, rego, insurances, maintenance, fuel, and the cost of living in Oz for those two years, it would take you 4 years to re-coupe it, i.e. unless you have a place to stay for free, I mean to rent a room within Sydney's south, say Kogarah, it will cost you the better part of $200 a week x that x 52 weeks and there goes $10,400, the better part of half your pension, now I know I couldn't live in a room for under shared accommodation for 2 years, so let's say a one bedroom apartment, well $400 if your lucky, and there goes your pension.

The caravan is an idea - I have heard of a few that did that.  But I must say the costs of vehicles, regos, petrol, etc etc would cost a bit.  Not as much as renting and living in Sydney - but there are cheaper options. But the first question is = Is it worth it?? Well I did the numbers again recently and here they are for a single member of a couple (add 25% for single):

Get pension until age 75 - $170K   ($210K)

Get pension until age 80 - $275K  ($340K)

Get pension until age 85 - $385K  ($480K)

Get pension until age 90 - $495K  ($610K)

Yes - it is worth it - too right it is - for most anyway. 

I am here waiting, but for someone like the OP looking to do it - then about 2 years before pension qualify date, come back to Aus and say you are now single (fix any bank accounts and all other stuff first) - say you are staying and not going back - tell everyone the same thing - everyone.  Rent a cheap unit in a cheap city - get dole and rental assistance - bring a little money with you for 'setup and living expenses' (tell CLink) and top up if/when needed.  Suck it up - eat cheap - live cheap - once getting the pension wait for 6-9 months and then ask CLink about portability - say it is too expensive in Aus and you know how cheap it is in Thailand.   Again - never tell anyone - people talk and CLink find out if/when they investigate - they will contact relatives and friends if they feel the need to check that much.  But remember - CLink know some people do this - they read this too - so TELL NO ONE.  CLink must have some evidence or reason to deny portability - tell no one !! 

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, gimo said:

I do not know for sure, but something tells me that a 'dependent' child must be in Australia, or an Australian resident/citizen. But I could be wrong - I am not sure.

But what I do know is this - do not call CLink/ATO etc and ask them - that is telling them that you plan to leave - that is a reason to deny portability.  Yes - the rules are screwed but that is how it is - as long as you have no intention to leave, then later you can leave - stupid.  Ring for a friend and say you have no CRN/number.

And you raise a got point - for many people to come back prior to the pension and live on the dole is too hard, so they wait until they qualify for the pension. If you cannot come back before, then my advice on that is to come back a 'reasonable' time after you qualify for pension. Come back the day after and they will be wathcing you like a hawk - come back 9mths or more later and they will be less suspicious (but they are never not suspicious).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 10:29 AM, AussieBob18 said:

Last first - yes they deliberately provide vaque information that is not too specific, because each claim/case is assessed based on its own merits, because everyone has different circumstances.  That is the official reason - but the real reason is so that they can minimise your payments and/or reject your claim.  Unlike the ATO who provide legal and binding information (to all people) and have official sanctioned/qualified advisers (accountants etc.), CLink will not give definitive information - either over phone, in writing, or on via their web site. CLink advice is always informal - you have to lodge a claim - then you get definitive advice.  So therefore my advice is the same as any official qualified CLink adviser - and there is none ????

1.  The proceeds from selling your house in Australia do not affect your income or asset amounts, which as you should know determine how much pension you are entitled to receive, if you commit to CLink that you are going to purchase a new home and you do that within 12 months.  BUT - does this apply if you are going to be purchasing a 'main residence' overseas - I do not know and have never got an answer - several phone calls - lots of web searches. 

1A - The amount of pension you get is determined by your assets and income.  If you own a home the assets limit is $XXX AUD and if you dont own a home the assets limit is $YYY AUD.  Many assets that are not your home are considered to be a 'financial asset' and they are 'deemed' - CLink determines an arbitrary rate of interest and that amount is added to your annual income.  My read of all the possible scenarios is that you want to have a lot more assets than you do income - it is much easier to go over the income limits if the $value of your home becomes a financial asset than it is to go over the assets limits for that same amoutn of $value - for most people.   

2. Yes - if you get married and advise CLink then you will be paid at the married rate.  Most Expats overseas dont 'officially' get married (via Embassy) for that reason, and because any relationship in Thailand is not official unless you do officially get married. Most Expats stay single as far as their advice to CLink and they dont say they are living with anyone long term either.  But if they do live with sdomeone and get 'caught' they plead ignorance and say they thought because it was not a marriage as it is not legal in Thaland (unlike in Aust). 

If you have been living in Australia for 10 years prior to getting pension you can take it overseas - you should call CLink before you leave to make sure you have 'portability' (before you even buy a ticket etc) - but dont tell them you are going to do it - say you are thinking about it in a few years and would like to know.

You will get 100% of age pension (minus a few small items) when overseas if you have been in Aust for 35+ years prior to applying - lesser amounts down to 10/35 for 10 yrs - nil if less than 10 years if you go overseas. If you tell CLink that you are going and never coming back, they will immediately reduce the payment to wehatever percentage based on the number of years in country, and also remove some small payments (electricity bonus etc.).  If you say you are going and probably coming back after 3-6 months (you dont know), they will automatically reduce it after 26 weeks if you are still overseas - best to tell them if you have decided to stay after about 5 months - especially if you were living in Australia for less than 35 years.

Great insight. So, if I lived in Australia from birth till 34yo, then in Thailand from 34 to 60, then Australia till pension age, Im not entitled. Is that right?

6 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Great insight. So, if I lived in Australia from birth till 34yo, then in Thailand from 34 to 60, then Australia till pension age, Im not entitled. Is that right?

I think the 35 year count starts at 16 years of age and that it's scaled on how long you spent in Oz so I think you maybe entitled to 18 years on the payment scale if I remember correctly.So I think you would be entitled but would need to spend 2 years in Oz to get portability to be able to get the pension whilst staying in Thailand.

• Like 1

For people who like the argy bargy of Centrelink, there are special conditions that can apply when you tell them of an overseas marriage. If you meet the conditions, you get to keep the full single pension. This is achievable..........

What special provisions are

If you think being a member of a couple causes you unfair hardship, call us on your regular payment line. You can do this at any time.

We may consider you as single under special provisions in the Social Security Act 1991. We assess each request on a case by case basis.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/your-relationship-status/30306

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/2/2/5/50

Edited by UncleMhee
45 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think the 35 year count starts at 16 years of age and that it's scaled on how long you spent in Oz so I think you maybe entitled to 18 years on the payment scale if I remember correctly.So I think you would be entitled but would need to spend 2 years in Oz to get portability to be able to get the pension whilst staying in Thailand.

He would have the 18 years plus the years between returning at 60 y.o. . So about 25 years . That would  mean a portable pension reduced by about 1 third , I think . No 2 year wait after starting pension because he will have been  in Aust from 60 .

7 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

If you go back to Australia to live you will get the pension when you are 67.

To be able to then leave and take the pension with you means you have to be there a min of 2 years to qualify for 'portability'.

When you do qualify for poertability the amount paid will be 34-16 + say 2 = 21/35 of the total value of the overseas pension amount. 

13 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

If you go back to Australia to live you will get the pension when you are 67.

To be able to then leave and take the pension with you means you have to be there a min of 2 years to qualify for 'portability'.

When you do qualify for poertability the amount paid will be 34-16 + say 2 = 21/35 of the total value of the overseas pension amount. 

He won't have to wait for 2 years after getting the pension because he will have been in Aust from age 60 to 67 . The 2 year  thing is only for people who spend the ' majority ' of the 2 years leading up to starting the pension , overseas .

Edited by gimo
separating words
  • Like 2
On 3/12/2020 at 6:48 PM, deej said:

Beleive its 750 dollars 

I received the Rudd present whilst residing here

as a pensioner

do hope the same

any confirmation will be welcome

I got $750 a few weeks ago... I understood it is just for those resident in Australia.. from what I have read.. I'm not sure if I got it because I was recently in Oz.. I guess I'll find out when they pay the next one.. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gimo said:

He won't have to wait for 2 years after getting the pension because he will have been in Aust from age 60 to 67 . The 2 year  thing is only for people who spend the ' majority ' of the 2 years leading up to starting the pension , overseas .

You are right in that circimstance - he would get 19 + 7 = 26/35 of the oseas pension.  But I assumed he would wait until 67 before he returns. The dole aint enough to live on for many - but being on the pension means lots of discounts and free stuff and subsidised rents etc etc.  IMO 2 years living in subsidised rent on the pension and living frugally is worth it in the long run when going back to Thailand means taking about $10K AUD per year for him.  Over 10 years that is $100K and IMO is worth it. Live to 90 and it is $200K.  And the longer he stays on the pension the more he will get when he leaves. 

8 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I got $750 a few weeks ago... I understood it is just for those resident in Australia.. from what I have read.. I'm not sure if I got it because I was recently in Oz.. I guess I'll find out when they pay the next one.. 

I would imagine as it's a benefit, one would have to be in Australia at the time to receive it, a bit like the electricity subsidy etc etc, if your overseas, your not entitled to it after 6 weeks.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would imagine as it's a benefit, one would have to be in Australia at the time to receive it, a bit like the electricity subsidy etc etc, if your overseas, your not entitled to it after 6 weeks.

It was given to all people on govt benefits ( incl OAPensioners ) , who were resident and present in Aust on certain dates during March . From memory 12-15th . 

Edited by gimo
missing word
On 4/19/2020 at 9:19 AM, AussieBob18 said:

You are right in that circimstance - he would get 19 + 7 = 26/35 of the oseas pension.  But I assumed he would wait until 67 before he returns. The dole aint enough to live on for many - but being on the pension means lots of discounts and free stuff and subsidised rents etc etc.  IMO 2 years living in subsidised rent on the pension and living frugally is worth it in the long run when going back to Thailand means taking about $10K AUD per year for him.  Over 10 years that is $100K and IMO is worth it. Live to 90 and it is $200K.  And the longer he stays on the pension the more he will get when he leaves. 

Yes I agree . I've just finished the 2 year period and am waiting for the CV19 situation to improve enough for my son and I to get back to Thailand . Living on the dole when I first came back was very difficult , but after the pension started I moved to mid nth coast NSW and it has been a reasonably comfortable existence , with cheaper rent and rental assistance . I don't have a car so makes it more affordable . Buses to anywhere for $ 2:50 per day .

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, gimo said:

Yes I agree . I've just finished the 2 year period and am waiting for the CV19 situation to improve enough for my son and I to get back to Thailand . Living on the dole when I first came back was very difficult , but after the pension started I moved to mid nth coast NSW and it has been a reasonably comfortable existence , with cheaper rent and rental assistance . I don't have a car so makes it more affordable . Buses to anywhere for $ 2:50 per day .

Perfect - well done mate.  Could I ask you to one day summarise all the things you do/did to enable yourself to live OK while on the pension in Aust.  A lot of Aussie blokes dont do it because they couldnt be bothered going through all the troubles and dont think that it is worth it.  Real information from someone who has recently done it could be invaluable to some.  

On 4/20/2020 at 3:15 PM, gimo said:

Would I be correct you have money in Super, as it will be challenging to live in Thailand on a single person Age Pension with a reasonable lifestyle if the exchange rate falls any further. Also assume you will obtain the married couple O visa in Thailand if you don't have any funds available in Super?

Edited by simple1