Immigration officer on duty at Suvarnabhumi airport contracts Covid-19, reports Thai media

webfact

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Singapore is colder than Thailand. Don't know about the controls in Malaysia.

Average Bangkok temp for Febuary is 32 degrees and for Singapore it's 33 degrees.

And the humans body temeperature is 37 degrees, so whats the point?

is there any plan to quarantine the immigration staff  with whom this person could have come into contact with. the problem is all the more serious as the possible source of infection is uncertain and therefore contact tracing impossible.

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

He will have probably recorded each passport in his computer so if the TM30 rule is followed then tracking should not be a problem.

You missed the part about the immigration officer working on a booth where people exit the country...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

If true he has covid-19; so far it is symptoms similar to coronavirus. How quickly do they get test results that are bankable? Heck, they may be out of test kits by now or hording them to sell to China. I'm filing this one under 'the sky is falling' column.

he has been confirmed.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration officer on duty at Suvarnabhumi airport contracts Covid-19, reports Thai media

Not sure why this is in the Bangkok forum and not the much more heavily read Thailand News forum.

But these really damaging news articles seem to increasingly end up where fewer eyes see them.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

The officer was processing people leaving the country so they will be all around the world by now.

So many potentially contaminated passports.

The first person who handles the passport when people get to where they're traveling - immigration officers in the destination country.

You did say 'potentially'. Unless the infected officer coughed directly on a passport, the chance of any transmission may 'potentially' be low:

(quote article)

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), it is possible to contract COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touching one’s mouth, nose or possibly eyes. However, experts say this is not the main way the virus spreads.

COVID-19 has a generally poor survivability on surfaces and poses a low risk of spread from one person to another through contact of a shared surface, CDC officials said.

A study by the Journal of Hospital Infection found that other strains of coronavirus have the potential to remain on metal, glass and plastic surfaces for two hours to nine days. According to the World Health Organization, the virus is unable to survive for long periods of time on packages or letters.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/04/heres-how-long-coronavirus-can-live-on-surfaces/

rt

Edited by SkyFax

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Plus the loss of face for Prayut who said it was all under control.

I'm sure he will blame it on somebody, right now my money would be on the army of hookers returning from South Korea who did a runner at the airport.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Not sure why this is in the Bangkok forum and not the much more heavily read Thailand News forum.

But these really damaging news articles seem to increasingly end up where fewer eyes see them.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Looks suspiciously like a comment of moderate interest. 

I have a question, maybe out of the subject, but anyway. The other dayhealth minister Anutin spoke about the shortage of masks, and said that people could do their own DIY-masks. Do anyone knows if I am allowed to do that, as I have no work permit (sarcasm) 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

There is no coverup. That is ridiculous fear mongering

Show me the numbers being tested and their results??

It's thousands and thousands stuck in the 'back log' or not tested at all

Show me a breakdown of total deaths by cause of death in Thailand in Jan, Feb and March

Edited by Canuck1966

"Sources said the officer had contracted the virus while on duty despite taking precautions like wearing a face mask". This continuing obsession with face masks is amazing. When will Thai officials understand that a mask is NOT the primary preventative measure to protect oneself. Immigration officials are handling passport and visa documents from every person coming through. Those documents have been touched multiple times by their owners and airport officials, any one of whom may be already infected from any of multiple sources like aircraft seats, arm rests, aircraft meals and packaging, car, bus, taxi door handles, staircase banisters, escalator hand rails, rest room taps, handles, baggage handles, ATM keypads, immigration bio-metric screens, money notes & coins etc. etc. Unless the official is absolutely vigilant in NOT touching his face ever, prior to disinfecting his hands, then he is open to contracting the disease by handling material from thousands of different people daily. Furthermore if he is wearing a mask then the mask itself is also liable to be infected by touching the mask for the same reasons. Masks are NOT recommended by government and medical bodies in other countries, and in fact the opposite message is being delivered i.e. the message is categorically "do NOT wear masks!", but wash your hands frequently with soap and water, and do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jkcjag said:

"Sources said the officer had contracted the virus while on duty despite taking precautions like wearing a face mask". This continuing obsession with face masks is amazing. When will Thai officials understand that a mask is NOT the primary preventative measure to protect oneself. Immigration officials are handling passport and visa documents from every person coming through. Those documents have been touched multiple times by their owners and airport officials, any one of whom may be already infected from any of multiple sources like aircraft seats, arm rests, aircraft meals and packaging, car, bus, taxi door handles, staircase banisters, escalator hand rails, rest room taps, handles, baggage handles, ATM keypads, immigration bio-metric screens, money notes & coins etc. etc. Unless the official is absolutely vigilant in NOT touching his face ever, prior to disinfecting his hands, then he is open to contracting the disease by handling material from thousands of different people daily. Furthermore if he is wearing a mask then the mask itself is also liable to be infected by touching the mask for the same reasons. Masks are NOT recommended by government and medical bodies in other countries, and in fact the opposite message is being delivered i.e. the message is categorically "do NOT wear masks!", but wash your hands frequently with soap and water, and do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth.

My most recent experience at cheng Wattana bangkok immigration, staff in masks, AND frequent use of alcohol gel, and plenty of gel for everyone to use, and frequently used by staff. And symptom test upon entering. Same at suv BKK airport. In my opinion the Thai are on this very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Why do we need a press conference.. just acknowledge it, why all the dramatics?

Or maybe you need time to get a poster made up?

The MoPH has been having daily or almost daily news briefings on the CV for several months now.... whether or not there are any new cases. And issuing daily written updates on their website.

They would have had a news briefing today regardless of what happened with the Immigration staffer or the other new cases.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

....Go back and read all............ “Preliminary report revealed that the staff had fever and went for a physical exam at Lat Krabang Hospital, where he tested positive for Covid-19.”

Thanks. That second item hadn't been published when I posted. It stopped at:

'Thai Rath said a press conference would be held to announce the details on Wednesday'.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I too have no fear of this - went to a training seminar in Chang Mai - 400 people week before last .

Did I worry one bit - of course not. 

TV just seems at the moment to be full of the tin foil hat citizens - mostly from the USA .

There is little more chance of catching the virus in this country than being hit by an asteroid.

Be real people 

This American agrees with your entire post. Wish they'd all go back to twitter.

• Haha 1