Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

Since the chief UK medical adviser has publicly stated that the UK has between 5000 and 10000 cases and is merely 'behind the curve' in terms of infections one has to say Trump's decision to exclude the UK looks like a major mistake.

From the tone of Trumps announcement where he petulantly accused Europe of not doing enough and being to blame for US infections it seems the banning decision was made in anger, as a political decision, rather than being based on sound advice.

One would think that Trump is getting similar advice, that recorded cases are only one-tenth of actual cases. So he must have known what the UK figures were roughly.

So if he is protecting Americans from covid19 cases in Europe, why not from those in the UK? If they really have 10000 cases like the UK chief medical officer says how is the UK different?

42 minutes ago, digibum said:

Can you please quote where I said that I wanted a government provided health care system? 

I didn't. 

The problem is that because people are critical of one thing, it's assumed that they support the opposite. 

Alas that is the great tragedy of a two-party system.  You are either pro guns or anti guns.  You are either pro abortion or anti abortion.  Having any sort of nuanced opinion isn't allowed. 

I've seen and lived in countries with (i.e. Europe) and without (US - where I'm a citizen) a socialized medical program is available and there are pros and cons for each type of system. 

Unfortunately, the mega-healthcare groups and the insurance industry has gone rogue on the US and if this pandemic explodes, we're going to see additional flaws in the current system. 

I don't care what kind of system is eventually adopted, but either the treatment has to be free (to the consumer) or the pricing needs to be as clear as it is on a pack of gum. 

Never said that you were in favor of any kind of system, I merely posted the cause of the problem. 

Free to the consumer health care is not free. Those countries who rely on the us for protection spend a massive amount of their gdp on health care. I see what government run schools now offer and I don't want them running health care. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve just demonstrated precisely why it’s political.

I gave credit that any POTUS of any party would take the steps necessary. There is nothing more bipartisan than a deadly virus. Hope it ends soon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

But only when they are Republican, and only when the stock market goes up.  When it goes down it's all the Democrats fault or totally out of his control.  Amirite?

Also, I guess I need to remind you that you are talking about the same clown that called the virus a Democratic hoax only a few days ago.

Misquoting again?  he said how the Dems are portraying it was a hoax.  That apart I said ANY POTUS you are just using it to troll for Dems.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Do the math, continental Europe has 20x the total number of infected than the USA.

Spain, Germany and France all have 2-3x the infected as the US.  Italy -fugettaboutit!

The ban only applies to Schengen Area European countries.

Travellers from the Republic of Ireland, Croatia, Bulgaria and Rumania (all of which are in the EU and obviously highly "interactive" with the banned countries) will continue to arrive in the USA.

Perhaps the citizens of the USA are not aware of that?

Edited by Enoon

Blaming Europe is typical of this overgrown infant. If this travel ban were to make any sense at all then EVERYONE would be banned including US citizens returning. US citizens aren’t exempt from or immune to the virus. At the very least if citizens are allowed to return they should be immediately quarantined.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Chiphigh said:

Free to the consumer health care is not free. Those countries who rely on the us for protection spend a massive amount of their gdp on health care. I see what government run schools now offer and I don't want them running health care. 

The "free" I'm talking about is no different than the "free" health care you receive when your insurance company pays for your health procedures. 

I mean, free in the sense that when you walk out of a doctor's office, you're not hit with a bunch of bills 3-months later because this doctor that looked at your x-ray isn't in-network and he's now trying to bill you directly for what your insurance company refused to cover. 

That absolutely should NEVER happen under any health care system, period. 

There is literally no other business that operates like this. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, digibum said:

The "free" I'm talking about is no different than the "free" health care you receive when your insurance company pays for your health procedures. 

I mean, free in the sense that when you walk out of a doctor's office, you're not hit with a bunch of bills 3-months later because this doctor that looked at your x-ray isn't in-network and he's now trying to bill you directly for what your insurance company refused to cover. 

That absolutely should NEVER happen under any health care system, period. 

There is literally no other business that operates like this. 

Again, as I said, you can thank the insurance lobby and the congress they bought for this. 

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

. After selling his company he went to the MIT Media Lab and got a master’s degree in animation, focusing on how to present scientific data visually. 

So this man is effectively a cartoonist.

Thanks for sharing this.

A very ridiculous statement full of nonsense. A sad attempt to deflect 

57 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Thats not correct. There are very few test kits and its not easy to get approved to get tested.

in the coming weeks the number of people with it will explode. Then countries will ban anyone from US.

The US cannot overcome the virus by printing money. It's a shock to their banking and elite dominated system.

There will be NO travel between any countries, for anyone, later this month. The virus has started to take hold in India and Africa.

Stock up with dried rosella and reishi. If you can get hold of it, cannabis oil could be a life-saver. Get on the 'dark web' for both Cannabis oil and GcMAF. Make sure your diet is varied. I know chips and beer are vegan, but we must eat better.

Keep away from swimming pools. And any places that have smoke or smog.

Edited by owl sees all

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

South Korea developed their own test kit in 21 days!

Well, South Korea has 15 million less inhabitants than the UK but outproduces the UK by 130 billion USD in manufacturing. How is this possible with 15 million less inhabitants?

Koreans are not like other men. They are the intellectual supermen of our age. We should not try to compare ourselves to South Koreans.

Whatever happens in the USA, I wish strength and courage to its people for this near future. Not only will their lives be on the balance but also their economic comfort.. It’ll be hard. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps not. But for a country that constantly lies about being number one, and having the best of this, and the best of that, it is amazing how often they bungle things, when an emergency arises. Remember Katrina? Hurricane Maria? And now Corona. The list goes on. Does not matter which administration it is or was. America seems to screw things up, alot. 

It really is. Also amazing washing machines are so much worse in the US, light switches, a lot of little things. When I was in New York, Miami, Washington and Chicago I was surprised how much is worse in the US than elsewhere, though good restaurants and good shopping.

Still the US is like a world unto itself, they have the best and worst of everything. The greatest geniuses and the most mediocre of mediocrities and the most lunatic of crazies. I'd still like to see Colorado and the south at some point, but not now.

In crisis times you don't want to be in the US. 

Edited by Logosone
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Closing borders may slow down a bit the pandemic, but It's mainly a cosmetic decision. The virus has already started spreading inside the USA, so it's just a question of time before it reaches high diffusion levels. And it can be quick.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Think the U.S. is remotely prepared for what's to come?  Think again...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/hospitals-coronavirus.html?

U.S. Hospitals Prepare for Coronavirus, With the Worst Still to Come

With the bow wave of coronavirus infections still to come, hospitals across the country are trying to prepare for a flood of critically ill patients who will strain their capacities like nothing they have seen in at least a generation. Even with some time to prepare, administrators fear they will not be ready.

The novel coronavirus could result in 10 million to 34 million hospital visits, based on statistics from other countries, according to the Harvard Global Health Institute.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1