‘Old farangs’ keep Pattaya and Jomtien beach chair vendors afloat

Rimmer

‘Old farangs’ keep Pattaya and Jomtien beach chair vendors afloat

1375-N3-Mar-10-02-Beach-vendors-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Beach vendors say older foreigners and Thais are keeping them in business through the coronavirus tourism downturn.

Pha Aree, who has been renting beach chairs and umbrellas for 30 years near the Dusit Thani Hotel, has survived more than her share of crises, from the near obliteration of the Dusit Curve beach by erosion, closure during its rebuild and the tourism downturns during the 2004 tsunami, SARS, political strife and numerous military coups.

She’ll get through Covid-19, too, Pha said.

Even after the Chinese disappeared and other tourists canceled plans to visit Pattaya, her regular customers of older Europeans who come to Pattaya for months remain. Each day the old foreigners arrive to sun themselves.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/old-farangs-keep-pattaya-and-jomtien-beach-chair-vendors-afloat-290880

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-03-12—

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Pattaya was a mere 33c, it was 40c+ where i live yesterday.

I would wager that the humidity where you are is ~40%, Pattaya is ~70%, give me high temps and low humidity, more bearable, or better still AC.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

See the "Ai Farungs" ( who refuse to ware a face mask ) have a use after all. ????

LOL. You need to get over that though. Most Thais, including officials, are perfectly OK with farang. Anutin is an idiot but that's one person. Ignore him.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Hanging out peacefully and sipping on cold refreshing bevies, sounds like the best way to survive the "pandemic".

bevies? is that beverage mate? love it.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I would wager that the humidity where you are is ~40%, Pattaya is ~70%, give me high temps and low humidity, more bearable, or better still AC.

Not sure where in Pattaya you are but my weather device is currently giving me 35C and humidity 53% - just north of Big C Extra. Yes it feels a lot higher to me as well so hope my device is not malfunctioning.....:unsure:

1 hour ago, topt said:

Not sure where in Pattaya you are but my weather device is currently giving me 35C and humidity 53% - just north of Big C Extra. Yes it feels a lot higher to me as well so hope my device is not malfunctioning.....:unsure:

My seaweed has gone limp so I'm expecting rain.????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

She’ll get through Covid-19, too, Pha said.

And no doubt she will, with the impending low season to boot. I might have feared for her fortunes had the coronavirus situation come about 3 months ago, though, since I doubt whether old farangs could have single-handedly kept her afloat during what was supposed to be the peak Christmas/New Year tourist period!

4 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Well maybe the government should take a long hard look at this. Maybe the old retirees should be given a fair go,they live here spend their money here no matter what. Instead of making it harder for retirees,you should make it easier,think long term.

This old retiree used to enjoy an afternoon in a beach chair in Jomtien and always patronised the same vendor. Then the government banned and imposed hefty fines for smoking on the beach. Never been since. Up to the government, up to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Up to the government, up to me.

That's the way I see it also. 

I will not dance to the beat of a monkey banging a drum in Bangkok.  Make life hard for me here, I will adapt, rather than obey.  Push me in a direction, I'll head to a neighboring country. 

I will not be a puppet for a muppet. 

Just imagine how much the retirees might have contributed had Thailand not driven them to Vietnam and Malaysia!

Buying your own house would be a start without forming a crooked company; without using crooked agents; crooked auditors; lawyers; crooked shareholders.

• Thanks 1

For 30 plus years I have contributed to Thailand's economy with money from abroad. Those like me, to use the local vernacular, are not fly by nights who spend for a couple of weeks perhaps then flee the scene. We are like the old pub regulars who the pubs relied on. 

Edited by Gandtee
spelling
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, johng said:

He's at it again

Dirty farlangs , you know who you are ...

Hand yourselves in @ immi..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, marko kok prong said:

Paa,sweltering? i looked at the daily temps yesterday Pattaya was a mere 33c, it was 40c+ where i live yesterday.

youre  supposed to  put the pizza  in the oven not yourself!

• Like 1