Hundreds of Thai workers miss flights due to lack of health insurance

webfact

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I think this is because Thai people get subsidized, super-cheap care if they are in the system that only comes with having a job in Thailand that carries a work permit and wherein the employer (or the employee) is able to pay the small, monthly insurance fee. Many Thai people have unconventional (though common) jobs such as laborers and food workers which don't have official work permits. If they don't have buy-in with that system, they can still get less expensive care via the government hospitals. But, they pay more out-of-pocket and many Thai people find that prohibitively expensive. 

Since when do Thais need a work permit in Thailand?

Have you ever heard about the 30 baht scheme before?

If there are so many people from Wuan where the virus originates from, the numbers of infected people must be high. Skyhigh. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

4 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Thai Airways needs to save them and Thailand needs to help their citizens in this time of need.

Yeah, there is that guy who paid a fortune to relinquishes US citizenship. The is nothing better in the world than being Thai.

4 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Can someone please explain why Thai citizens returning from overseas need insurance cover when they are entitled to unlimited free medical treatment when they get here?

Who said they are entitled to free unlimited medical care?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What makes no sense is that all Thai citizens not covered by other scheme are automatically covered under the universal coverage scheme in Thailand . So all of them have cover (unlimited in amount) in Thailand. Where they don't have cover is in Korea which should therefore be eager to help them leave....

Any knowledge of resources / capability of Thai government hospitals to address Covid-19?

I think journalists deliberately write confusing and unclear copy. It causes confusion and additional interest and debate and allows the topic to be discussed longer than it need be.

All governments should put out clear press statements that can be referred to for details.

• Thanks 1

Thai's get FREE COVID19 Treatment from universal health care.
The requirements were set by the Thai government I please don't tell me they forgot to exclude Thai's.
In which case I would have to ask myself if they aren't underqualified for the job.

Edited by monkfish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Interior minister Anupong called it a "misunderstanding". According to him the 100k-insurance for flying in from high risk countries does not apply to Thai nationals.

Thanks. About time someone got round to reading the full article.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Majority of people with COVID do nto require any particular treatment other than normal supportive meadsures (rest, fluids) andquarantine (at home or hospital) to avoid spreading it.

For the minority who have severe disease, the Thai health system is well able to manage it.

Where there are  limitations is in availability of testing upcountry. Only the regional hospitals have it so most minor cases go undiagnosed.  This does not however affect the delivery of appropriate treatment. It does affect accuracy of reported number of cases.

Thanks @Sheryl. A common sense answer at last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

The web fact article is misleading. The Thai PBS clarify that the 10K insurance was for non Thais. Thai are covered by the government insurance and other plans. Web facts should clarify.

Not exactly is states there was a misunderstanding or more likely a lacky of communication.

The latest reports, however, said that the requirement for insurance coverage for Thai workers is a misunderstanding, adding that the requirement is only applied to non-Thai citizens arriving in Thailand from high-risk countries, such as South Korea.

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Majority of people with COVID do nto require any particular treatment other than normal supportive meadsures (rest, fluids) andquarantine (at home or hospital) to avoid spreading it.

For the minority who have severe disease, the Thai health system is well able to manage it.

Where there are  limitations is in availability of testing upcountry. Only the regional hospitals have it so most minor cases go undiagnosed.  This does not however affect the delivery of appropriate treatment. It does affect accuracy of reported number of cases.

Well said and put Sheryl.  Your medical insight is a breath of fresh air in diagnosing the true issues facing the people.

6 hours ago, JCP108 said:

I think this is because Thai people get subsidized, super-cheap care if they are in the system that only comes with having a job in Thailand that carries a work permit and wherein the employer (or the employee) is able to pay the small, monthly insurance fee. Many Thai people have unconventional (though common) jobs such as laborers and food workers which don't have official work permits. If they don't have buy-in with that system, they can still get less expensive care via the government hospitals. But, they pay more out-of-pocket and many Thai people find that prohibitively expensive. 

If Thais go to a Hospital in the province where they are registered as living, then their cost is 30 baht. It has Zero to do about having a job! some treatments are not covered however like dialyses or CAT scans. my wife was in hospital for 4 days, appendicitis OP, all meds total bill 30 baht.

Edited by brianthainess

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

My understanding is now a pandemic has been declared one cannot obtain health insurance for Covid-19; OP doesn't make sense. However, one would have thought Thai government would provide support services to enable Thai nationals to return to their home country. In addition, at least here in Australian, Covid 19 travel insurance cover has been unavailable for about one month.

maybe the govt could setup a website of eligible health insurance companies that well overpriced undervalued health insurance as a requirement for entry into thailand.... I think I've seen this done somewhere before so they should have experience in the matter. Hmm

9 hours ago, simple1 said:

My understanding is now a pandemic has been declared one cannot obtain health insurance for Covid-19; OP doesn't make sense. However, one would have thought Thai government would provide support services to enable Thai nationals to return to their home country. In addition, at least here in Australian, Covid 19 travel insurance cover has been unavailable for about one month.

Your last sentence, insurance companies will always avoid giving cover for anything if there is even a remote chance

of having to pay out. Just like they won't give you any 1st class insurance on your motorbike after it is 5 years old.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Various/sundry Thai "authorities" issued directives effective yesterday (perhaps rescinded and reinstated several times since?) that all passengers (specifically excluding Thai nationals and airline crew) flying in from the danger zones (China, HK, Iran Italy, Macau, plus some I'm forgetting) need to prove $100,000 insurance.

Suspect the article writer is confused, or was unaware of the actual "order"?

Or the airlines are confused... But who could blame them, considering the blizzard in the past week of Thai government travel announcements, corrections, retractions, re-statements, etc etc....

Obviously, it makes no sense for the Thai govt. to require $100,000 U.S. in health insurance coverage for returning Thai nationals, since they have Thai national health insurance already. I seriously doubt the Thai govt. ever actually issued such an order applying to Thai citizens even by mistake...  But I can certainly understand how some private entity outside Thailand might think so!

This has nothing to do with South Korea. It is a requirement that has been put in place on all airlines by the Thai Civil Aviation organisation. It means that any aircraft that comes under the control of the Thai Civil Aviation must abide by this requirement. Probably with no thought of who the passengers were on some of these flights.

Edited by Russell17au

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

True, all British insurers have withdrawn cover. I was going to come to Thailand in April and teach. I have cover until August, but then what...? This will surely decimate Thailand's Western tourist numbers as you'd have to be out of your mind to play covid roulette.

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

As a British tourist with a SETV flying in to a Thai airport (from a neighbouring country), would I need to show evidence of health insurance?

Cheers 

No, with or without visa, no need. Only needed if you're flying/transiting from Italy, Korea, China/HK/Macau...

• Like 1

well, sure looks like the authorities changed the rules after the workers had left Thailand.  March 10 some new order/policy was put in place requiring insurance.  Obviously these Thai workers had left Thailand for Korea before March 10.  Grossly unfair.

15000 baht just to get a health cert in Korea is too expensive. It is only valid for two days which is ridiculous. Buying a plane ticket within two days will also make the tickets expensive.

10 hours ago, edwardflory said:

CV-19 ONLY, ANY AGE, must be in Thailand 6 months, and have account with bank.

Screenshot_20200312-222811.png

I have an account with the bank but I couldn't understand what they were saying when they approached me.

Is it really 150 baht per year or per month? What is the coverage in case we get the virus?

Air Asia just clarified on their Facebook page.

1. Passengers from high risk countries must have a valid doctors certificate not older than 24 hours.

2. Passengers (except Thai nationals) must have a valid health insurance covering the quoted sum.