Transferring Retirement Visa to new passport

Hi, tried searching for this but came up empty. I have to go out to Immigration in Bangkok this week to transfer my Retirement Visa to my new passport from my expired passport. Does anyone know what is needed besides my 2 passports and the letter I received from the US Embassy? Any form that I need to fill out? Photos? With all the stuff going on it may be chaotic.

Thanks

1 hour ago, BrianBkyn said:

I have to go out to Immigration in Bangkok this week to transfer my Retirement Visa to my new passport from my expired passport

Is this because you live in the Bangkok catchment area ?

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

Do not forget to up date your drivers licence and your bank book (if you have them) with your new passport details.

Do they issue you a new drivers licence once we get a new passport or is it done on the next drivers licence's expiry date?

Edited by EricTh

Thanks for the replies. Don't have a driver's license so that is no worry.

Not sure what you mean by Bangkok Catchment area. Just going out to CW to get this done.

"Visas are never transferred" - I guess I was under the wrong impression - I thought they just put a new visa in my new passport - good to know I will need both to leave the country and get back. Thx.

Thanks again. I would have been screwed going out there without this info.

25 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

Not sure what you mean by Bangkok Catchment area. Just going out to CW to get this done.

I was just trying to find out if you lived in the Bangkok area or you had to travel a long way to Bangkok specifically for the Visa transfer ?

11 hours ago, Mr Smithy said:

Visas are never transferred -- so if you have a visa you must use both passports when leaving/entering the country

Really? I suppose that's why I was able to leave and enter Thailand with only my new passport in February. Retirement visa.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Really? I suppose that's why I was able to leave and enter Thailand with only my new passport in February. Retirement visa.

It is more likely you had your entry stamp and EXTENSION transferred to the new passport. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is more likely you had your entry stamp and EXTENSION transferred to the new passport. 

Can this be done at your local immi. office , or is it a trip to Bkk ?

On 3/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, jacko45k said:

There are four stamps in the new passport. TR, July 2014. Non-O, August 2014. Non-RE, August 2019. Also a stamp which details the number of the old passport, and what I think was either my first entry into Thailand, or the commencement date of the old passport.  My extension was November 2019. Not sure if that addresses the point you are making.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed

11 hours ago, Mr Smithy said:

Visas are never transferred -- so if you have a visa you must use both passports when leaving/entering the country

No ,when i got my new passport while on holiday in the UK ,i used both to return then went to immigration and had them transfered to my new passport ,no problem 

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well actually not, he is correct in that Visas are never transferred. A VIsa can still be utilized in an old passport but not transferred to a new passport. It is the old Semantics and argument of what is a Visa, and of an Extension being called a Visa .

He's incorrect in saying you need both passports coming or going, yes?

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He's incorrect in saying you need both passports coming or going, yes?

Not sure what he meant.

You only need to use both passports if you have a valid visa issued by an embassy or consulate in the old passport.

If an extension of stay or a valid re-entry permit issued by immigration is in the new passport it is not needed.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2020 at 8:15 AM, Lacessit said:

There are four stamps in the new passport. TR, July 2014. Non-O, August 2014. Non-RE, August 2019. Also a stamp which details the number of the old passport, and what I think was either my first entry into Thailand, or the commencement date of the old passport.  My extension was November 2019. Not sure if that addresses the point you are making.

<removed>

You have just confirmed NO visa was transferred - Thanks

Sorry one more question regarding this occurred to me. Is there any timing regarding this - ie I have my new passport - do I have to do this transfer within a period of time. Am having leg issues and getting out there right now is a problem. Thanks

6 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

Sorry one more question regarding this occurred to me. Is there any timing regarding this - ie I have my new passport - do I have to do this transfer within a period of time. Am having leg issues and getting out there right now is a problem. Thanks

There is no set time to do it by.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what he meant.

You only need to use both passports if you have a valid visa issued by an embassy or consulate in the old passport.

If an extension of stay or a valid re-entry permit issued by immigration is in the new passport it is not needed.

Sorry for being unclear  What I said was that valid VISAS are not transferred to a new passport - if a valid VISA is in an canceled passport then both passports are required to enter the country unless a 30 day visa exempt entry is wanted.