Visiting Thai boyfriend on SETV

Kind of a delicate subject.  I worry that Thai officials may resent a foreigner having a relationship with a local boy, even though it's a real relationship not based on money in any way.  Should I conceal our relationship from authorities if it comes up?

SETV application has a field on it for "guarantor in Thailand".  Best to leave that blank?  Or put my boyfriend's info in and claim we're just "friends"?

Plot twist: we're gay.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like many countries will stop entries soon, maybe Thailand

Yes, I know.  Y2Korona.  But that's beyond my control.  I only just left Thailand on the 11th, so maybe too soon to apply for SETV (though I could probably get it this week considering I've been in Thailand only once in 10 years).

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can put self for guarantor.

Where are you applying for the visa at?

I'm in KL.  What's the point of listing yourself as guarantor?

6 minutes ago, SnugglePuma said:

Yes, I know.  Y2Korona.  But that's beyond my control.  I only just left Thailand on the 11th, so maybe too soon to apply for SETV (though I could probably get it this week considering I've been in Thailand only once in 10 years).

Millions of people visit Thailand every year. The guarantor is irrelevant. Have same question on visa to eg Vietnam. People leave it blank. Less is best springs mind

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SnugglePuma said:

It is not something that is not really required. It is only needed for those from some countries to complete. It is just a standard blank on the application form.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not something that is not really required. It is only needed for those from some countries to complete. It is just a standard blank on the application form.

On the Thai visa application form which is used in Germany it says that the local guarantor is only required when applying for a business visa, i guess in other countries it's similar even if not explicitly stated.

49 minutes ago, SnugglePuma said:

SETV application has a field on it for "guarantor in Thailand".  Best to leave that blank?  Or put my boyfriend's info in and claim we're just "friends"?

You can leave it blank, but putting your friend down as the guarantor would not go against you. You do not need to elaborate to anyone at anytime your relationship beyond friends.

tbh, I'm not really concerned about getting a SETV.

I'm more curious, if I declare him as my boyfriend to Thai authorities at the border/airport, in general is that going to make things more difficult for us?  Should we prepare to pretend to be "just friends" if we travel together?

2 minutes ago, SnugglePuma said:

tbh, I'm not really concerned about getting a SETV.

I'm more curious, if I declare him as my boyfriend to Thai authorities at the border/airport, in general is that going to make things more difficult for us?  Should we prepare to pretend to be "just friends" if we travel together?

No offense OP, but think your carrying on a bit. No one states info about relationships from passing immigration control or checking into a hotel. 

Having said that I have read experienced guys here advising to state you are visiting gf/bf if questioned at passport control. This is suggested to folk with long history staying in thailand. Personally I would take opposite approach.

In any event your question was about visa.

My earlier post along with post #9 sums it up.

• Like 2

If you and your boyfriend are close in age, I personally believe most officials will see your visit as more justified than if you had no partner here. That said, it depends on the official. If there is a significant disparity in age, I would recommend that you just say you have many friends in Thailand from previous visits, enjoy yourself, and want to spend more time here. I know that there can be real relationships in spite of an age difference, but officials have a tendency to be suspicious about the nature of the relationship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnugglePuma said:

Should we prepare to pretend to be "just friends" if we travel together?

If you are asking if you should refrain from publicly displaying acts of an intimate or sexual relationship with your friend during your time in Thailand, the answer is YES, regardless of the sex or gender or sexual orientation of your friend.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you and your boyfriend are close in age, I personally believe most officials will see your visit as more justified than if you had no partner here. That said, it depends on the official. If there is a significant disparity in age, I would recommend that you just say you have many friends in Thailand from previous visits, enjoy yourself, and want to spend more time here. I know that there can be real relationships in spite of an age difference, but officials have a tendency to be suspicious about the nature of the relationship.

The OP, initially asked about what to write in the guarantor line.

Answer NOTHING.

He was applying for setv to Thailand. 

On arrival say nothing. 

He then morphed into some confused comments about visa cancelled by oz imm.

Obviously a separate issue. 

I see you often suggest if quizzed by Thai imm re reason for visit often to mention gf.

Your not alone, read experienced guys such as yourself suggest that. Personally I would never state that but rather have a clear itinerary of my planned stay. 

In any event the op needs fill nothing on guarantor line.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He then morphed into some confused comments about visa cancelled by oz imm.

Sorry if you were confused, but I was merely clarifying that  this statement you made is not accurate:

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No one states info about relationships from passing immigration control or checking into a hotel.