All over 70s in UK told to self isolate, lockdowns, entry bans imposed worldwide

Jonathan Fairfield

New rules in Singapore WEF Mon 11.59pm

ANYONE flying in fm ASEAN countries, UK, Japan, Switzerland will be issued

a compulsory stay home notice for 14 days.

Freeloaders planning to come in for free treatment will also have their hopes dashed.

They have to apply for a NOC fm the Singapore embassy of their country after

having a prescribed health form certified by a recognised doctor.

Good, good.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

This post is incorrect. Firstly, the title implies that the proposed self isolation for over 70's in the UK is already in place. a

Secondly, Matt Hancock did not say WILL be implemented.

'

According to the BBC, this will happen "within the coming weeks":-

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Or pay for online delivery already in place for sometime now - not too difficult, or have a younger family member or neighbour drop your shopping outside your door, not inconceivable

But what about the over-70's who don't know how to use (let alone have signed up for) the internet, or who don't have any younger family members (as I don't back in the UK) or know their neighbours sufficiently well (certainly not unheard of in London where I used to live) in order to "have groceries and vital medication delivered" as stated by Hancock according to the BBC? Being effectively banged up in solitary confinement under house arrest for weeks (if not months) on end would inevitably lead to their demise, but because of starvation or medical complications rather than the coronavirus. This would presumably be more than acceptable collateral damage in Hancock's eyes for the greater good of under-70 humankind in the UK.????

Edited by OJAS

Just now, OJAS said:

But what about the over-70's who don't know how to use (let alone have signed up for) the internet, or who don't have any younger family members (as I don't back in the UK) or know their neighbours sufficiently well (certainly not unheard of in London where I used to live) in order to "have groceries and vital medication delivered" as stated by Hancock according to the BBC? Being forcibly banged up in solitary confinement for weeks (if not months) on end would inevitably lead to their demise, but because of starvation or medical complications. This would presumably be more than acceptable collateral damage in Hancock's eyes for the greater good of under-70 humankind in the UK.

Makes me wonder if this is simply a trial balloon? I'm not British, so will gladly defer to those of you who are and surely understand the culture, politics and situation better.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Did they give any mercy on rebooking due to the current situation?

I haven't rescheduled yet, but the website says that it is okay. 

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/help/travel-updates/#3515

With the current developing conditions around the globe, we understand that your travel plans might change. So we’re giving you the flexibility to reschedule your trip with no change fees.

Any booking made on or before 31 March 2020 now comes with the option to adjust your travel dates at zero charges. Should you change the booking to a date in a season with a higher fare, we’ll only charge the difference between the cost of the previous and the new ticket.

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:
27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But what about the over-70's who don't know how to use (let alone have signed up for) the internet, or who don't have any younger family members (as I don't back in the UK) or know their neighbours sufficiently well (certainly not unheard of in London where I used to live) in order to "have groceries and vital medication delivered" as stated by Hancock according to the BBC? Being forcibly banged up in solitary confinement for weeks (if not months) on end would inevitably lead to their demise, but because of starvation or medical complications. This would presumably be more than acceptable collateral damage in Hancock's eyes for the greater good of under-70 humankind in the UK.

Makes me wonder if this is simply a trial balloon? I'm not British, so will gladly defer to those of you who are and surely understand the culture, politics and situation better.

I think some of our members, having self-exiled from their homeland and thus feeling suddenly disenfranchised and alone in an unexpected 'hour of need', may be somewhat disconnected from the social security safety net that exists in the UK for those that stayed behind. There's a lot of 'small print' that is going unspoken in this rapid government response to a very dynamic situation but if anyone subscribes to the thought that the current UK government will abandon thousands of pensioners and old folk let them starve just because they 'can't work the internet', well maybe they voted for Corbyn last time around. For every single Daily Mail type horror story of a pensioner found dead in their flat after 5 months, there are hundreds of thousands of elderly that are well cared for and attended by their siblings, their neighbors or their local council.

The problem with most Baby Boomer's is they tend to think too much, or too late.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Love all these travel bans  - all with absolutely no word of how to get stranded people home

Slow down there,  they're probably still searching the internet for the next unrestricted country they can hop to and mostly haven't worked out that they're stranded yet.

Listening to frantic callers on a BBC Radio 5 Live help line, "How does my daughter currently on a university sponsored trip in Poland get home from Krakow?!"

Maybe talk to the people at the university that organized the trip?

34 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But what about the over-70's who don't know how to use (let alone have signed up for) the internet, or who don't have any younger family members (as I don't back in the UK) or know their neighbours sufficiently well (certainly not unheard of in London where I used to live) in order to "have groceries and vital medication delivered" as stated by Hancock according to the BBC? Being effectively banged up in solitary confinement under house arrest for weeks (if not months) on end would inevitably lead to their demise, but because of starvation or medical complications rather than the coronavirus. This would presumably be more than acceptable collateral damage in Hancock's eyes for the greater good of under-70 humankind in the UK.????

There will possibly be a support line for the totally helpless, or for others to request help for them, the more proactive will find an acceptable workaround if there are limitations to their communication skills or family links, neighbours will probably rally round as they do in times of crisis in the UK.

46 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Wouldn't believe anything from the Bolshevic Broadcasting Company

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am 75 and live in a small village in rural Khampaeng Phet.

The big village is 6km away and fairly normal but I have a hospital appointment in KPP 65km away. The furthest I have been since Xmas is KPP and locally everything seems pretty much normal though I see fewer people around and rarely anyone wearing a face mask apart from the ladies working in 7/11.

I am mostly self isolated anyway, so do I need to go into a headlong panic mode yet?

don't forget even small villages have seasonal workers going berry-picking in Europe, illegal Thais in Korea, construction workers in BKK and the inevitable local girl working bars in Pattaya...

53 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Love all these travel bans  - all with absolutely no word of how to get stranded people home

The elderly have buss passes , free travel ...

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:
2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is what i am saying

Oh dear. Whatever has happened to the poontang-preying positivist?

Odd how the risk of HIV did not have that much effect. Yet folks are scared of Corona.

Simple...... Just isolate and avoid Bat soup.

• Haha 2

So the question is should one return to the UK with the associated risks or extend stay in Thailand for the duration, assuming one has the choice? The associated rider is that if stay extended, then no health insurance cover extension.

7 hours ago, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

I just canceled my trip to oz to. You should go to Qantas website and enter your flight details and see if you can cancel 

The UK stands on the brink of a unprecedented peacetime disaster.

An unnamed Tory MP described the Prime Minister as a 'Darwinian' who fears the potential backlash at home if Covid-19 claims more UK lives than lives abroad, while another remarked: 'The problem is that it is Tory voters who will be dying'. 

Meanwhile, sources close to Mr Johnson say the Executive is panicking that parts of the UK's healthcare system are already in 'meltdown'. 

Local resilience forums are reportedly begging for directives from central Government, with one Whitehall source remarking: 'This is now a full-on Hollywood movie horror show. The local resilience forums are screaming for help.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114593/Inside-prime-ministers-haunted-exhausted-inner-circle-battling-coronavirus.html

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

The UK stands on the brink of a unprecedented peacetime disaster.

An unnamed Tory MP described the Prime Minister as a 'Darwinian' who fears the potential backlash at home if Covid-19 claims more UK lives than lives abroad, while another remarked: 'The problem is that it is Tory voters who will be dying'. 

Meanwhile, sources close to Mr Johnson say the Executive is panicking that parts of the UK's healthcare system are already in 'meltdown'. 

Local resilience forums are reportedly begging for directives from central Government, with one Whitehall source remarking: 'This is now a full-on Hollywood movie horror show. The local resilience forums are screaming for help.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114593/Inside-prime-ministers-haunted-exhausted-inner-circle-battling-coronavirus.html

Wow... people begging for government to tell them what to do when five minutes of research on the internet will tell them everything they need to know. The UK is DOOMED. Very sad.

12 hours ago, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

China Southern refunded both of our tickets so Qantas will face a reputation thing if they don't refund.  I thought all were doing it.

11 hours ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Meanwhile in bush village 40 minutes outside of UbonRatchathani, no stress

It was the same in China before they started blocking the roads. The food price then increased sharply. It's better to buy a little bit now without stress than stress later when you need it and can't find any or need to pay a lot more. 

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The world is now at war with an invisible enemy! The  biggest damage at end will be to the global economy.

My fear is that that could initiate more  conventional war.

Keep up the panic.