All over 70s in UK told to self isolate, lockdowns, entry bans imposed worldwide

Jonathan Fairfield

Lockdowns, self-isolation and entry bans imposed to fight global coronavirus spread

2020-03-13T162018Z_2_LYNXMPEG2C1D2_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A man wearing a protective mask travels on a tube in London, Britain, March 11, 2020. REUTERS/Marika Kochiashvili/File photo

(Reuters) - France and Spain joined Italy in imposing lockdowns on tens of millions of people, Australia ordered self-isolation of arriving foreigners, and Argentina and El Salvadore extended entry bans as the world sought to contain the spreading coronavirus.

Panic buying in Australia, the United States and Britain saw leaders appeal for calm over the virus that has infected over 138,000 people globally and killed more than 5,000.

Several countries imposed bans on mass gathering, shuttered sporting, cultural and religious events, while medical experts urged people to practice "social distancing" to curb the spread.

All of Pope Francis' Easter services next month will be held without the faithful attending, the Vatican said on Sunday, in a step believed to be unprecedented in modern times.

The services, four days of major events from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday, usually draw tens of thousands of people to sites in Rome and in the Vatican.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said from midnight Sunday international travellers arriving in the country would need to isolate themselves for 14 days, and foreign cruise ships would be banned for 30 days, given a rise in imported cases.

"What we've seen in recent weeks, is more countries having issues with the virus and that means the source of some of those transmissions are coming from more and more countries," Morrison told a news conference.

Australia's latest restrictions mirror those announced by neighbouring New Zealand on Saturday. Australia has recorded more than 250 coronavirus cases and three deaths.

TRAVEL BANS, AIRLINE CUTBACKS

U.S. President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on Friday. The United States has recorded more than 2,000 cases and 50 deaths, but has been criticised for slow testing.

Travel bans and a plunge in global air travel saw further airline cut backs, with American Airlines Inc <AAL.O> planning to cut 75% of international flights through May 6 and ground nearly all its widebody fleet.

The dramatic announcement by the largest U.S. airline came hours after the White House said the United States would widen new travel restrictions on Europeans to include travellers in the United Kingdom and Ireland, starting Monday night.

Washington has already imposed flight restrictions on China.

China tightened checks on international travellers arriving at Beijing airport on Sunday, after the number of imported new coronavirus infections surpassed locally transmitted cases for a second day in a row.

Anyone arriving to Beijing from abroad will be transferred directly to a central quarantine facility for 14 days for observation starting March 16, a city government official said.

China, where the epidemic began in December, appears to now face a greater threat of new infections from outside its borders as it continues to slow the spread of the virus domestically.

China has reported 80,984 cases and 3,203 deaths, according to a Reuters tally, of which 66,911 have recovered in mainland China, which has imposed draconian containment policies, locking down several major cities.

LOCKDOWNS, STAY HOME

Spain put its 47 million inhabitants under partial lockdown on Saturday as part of a 15-day state of emergency to combat the epidemic in Europe's second worst-affected country after Italy.

Spain had 193 coronavirus deaths and 6,250 cases, public broadcaster TVE said on Saturday, up from 120 deaths reported on Friday.

France will shut shops, restaurants and entertainment facilities from Sunday with its 67 million people were told to stay home after confirmed infections doubled in 72 hours.

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said the government had no other option after the public health authority said 91 people had died in France and almost 4,500 were now infected.

"We must absolutely limit our movements," he said.

Britain is preparing to ban mass gatherings, while isolating people aged over 70 for up to four months is part of its action plan to tackle coronavirus which will be implemented in the coming weeks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday.

Argentina banned entry to non-residents who have travelled to a country highly affected by coronavirus in the last 14 days, the government officially announced late on Saturday.

The ban will last 30 days. Argentina has 45 cases of coronavirus, the health ministry said, up from 21 on March 12.

Panama said flights arriving from Europe and Asia would be temporarily suspended, with the exception of flights that transport doctors, medical equipment or other humanitarian aid.

Colombia will expel four Europeans for violating compulsory quarantine protocols, just hours after it closed its border with Venezuela, the government said on Saturday.

ANTI-TERRORISM TRACKING TO FIGHT VIRUS

Israel will use anti-terrorism tracking technology and partially shutdown its economy to minimise transmission risks, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday.

Cyber tech monitoring would be deployed to locate people who have been in contact with those carrying the virus, subject to cabinet approval, Netanyahu told a news conference in Jerusalem.

Starting Sunday, South Korea began to subject visitors from France, Germany, Britain, Spain and the Netherlands to stricter border checks, after imposing similar rules for China, Italy and Iran which have major outbreaks.

Visitors from those countries now need to download an app which will report whether they have symptoms. South Korea has been testing hundreds of thousands of people and tracking potential carriers using cell phone and satellite technology.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-15

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mixed said:

I am supposed to fly back to Australia for ten days tomorrow. Now I am being asked to self isolate for 2 weeks, which would be done at my parents house, they are both over 75. Then I don't know if I'll be allowed back into Thailand in 10 days, as it could have gotten crazy by then.

So I won't fly. The ticket was cheap, I don't think a refund or even change of date was allowed. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting anything back from the Qantas? It wouldn't have to be money, another flight on a different date would be fine.

Check with your airline, most are offering free rebooking irrespective of Normal ticket conditions 

I’m in the same boat as you (albeit heading to UK in May) & no way would I make the trip under the current conditions.

who are you flying with? I’m flying with Qatar who have already offered free rebooking or a 1 year travel voucher for anybody traveling before end of June

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Check with your airline, most are offering free rebooking irrespective of Normal ticket conditions 

I’m in the same boat as you (albeit heading to UK in May) & no way would I make the trip under the current conditions.

who are you flying with? I’m flying with Qatar who have already offered free rebooking or a 1 year travel voucher for anybody traveling before end of June

I am with Qantas. Thanks very much for the info, it's very helpful.

44 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

coronavirus

45 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Travel bans and a plunge in global air travel saw further airline cut backs, with American Airlines Inc <AAL.O> planning to cut 75% of international flights through May 6 and ground nearly all its widebody fleet

This is moving into unprecedented territory for the airlines .. B A warned on Friday that it may cut 75% of its schedules and lay off 000's .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:

This is moving into unprecedented territory for the airlines .. B A warned on Friday that it may cut 75% of its schedules and lay off 000's .. 

yes American Airlines sort of the same. 

panic buying at makros in bangkok today - wife showed me the images and stories on kapook earlier - looked like USA

highly suggest a makro run tomorrow if you are partial to the odd can of sardines or dried noodles!

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Thanks 1

I am 75 and live in a small village in rural Khampaeng Phet.

The big village is 6km away and fairly normal but I have a hospital appointment in KPP 65km away. The furthest I have been since Xmas is KPP and locally everything seems pretty much normal though I see fewer people around and rarely anyone wearing a face mask apart from the ladies working in 7/11.

I am mostly self isolated anyway, so do I need to go into a headlong panic mode yet?

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you are suggesting that foreigners over xx years and already in the country will be told to self-isolate like the locals, then yes, that may well be the next logical step. We aren't special.

this is what i am saying

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

there is no difference now. it is in the general population and I am taking about what comes next. 

this will have little to do with foreign visitors.

Got you now, Headline mentions the >70s being self isolated in UK, but the OP doesn’t

hopefully if they do take a similar view it will be all >70s not just non-Thais (& certainly not us low 50s that also have a non-O) 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:
22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you are suggesting that foreigners over xx years and already in the country will be told to self-isolate like the locals, then yes, that may well be the next logical step. We aren't special.

this is what i am saying

OK. Then I reckon it is no big deal. If they don't like it, they can fly home and do the same there.

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

What gets me is on the one hand the UK is telling people they may have to self-Isolate for 4 months then on the other telling them not to panic buy!!! 

What would you do if somebody told you you MIGHT not be able to leave your house for 4 months, of course you’d stick up.

Or pay for online delivery already in place for sometime now - not too difficult, or have a younger family member or neighbour drop your shopping outside your door, not inconceivable

Alternatively you can go shopping now, put yourself at risk, with the other hundreds currently in a checkout queue at supermarkets - obviously crapping themselves hence the escalating toilet roll purchases - today limited to one pack of 30 only ????

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why would they bother, do they care about us? No, if we all dropped dead tomorrow, I doubt it would cause much of a stir. When you are asked to self isolate, it's to protect you so I ask again, why would they bother?. 

34 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Or pay for online delivery already in place for sometime now - not too difficult, or have a younger family member or neighbour drop your shopping outside your door, not inconceivable

Alternatively you can go shopping now, put yourself at risk, with the other hundreds currently in a checkout queue at supermarkets - obviously crapping themselves hence the escalating toilet roll purchases - today limited to one pack of 30 only ????

Clearly you haven’t met my (71yr old) Mum or (75 yr old) Dad, I struggle to get them to do anything online never mind pay for it on a Credit card.

I suppose my brother could order it for them (I’d do it but my UK credit card is in Bangkok & am not sure when I’ll get back from a tour around the islands to be able to so).

Other than that, Home Delivery should be ok provided the companies practice strict hygiene controls) but getting a family member to deliver it risks transmission by them handling the stuff as they do it, they might as well come in for a cup of tea than leave it on the doorstep 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I had bought tickets for May too. I booked with Emirates and can reschedule. I will reschedule for September.  

14 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Why would they bother, do they care about us? No, if we all dropped dead tomorrow, I doubt it would cause much of a stir. When you are asked to self isolate, it's to protect you so I ask again, why would they bother?. 

If it happened it would be advisory and the advice would apply to all those over 70 as they are are part of an at risk group of people, it is impossible to completely isolate yourself - you could in theory isolate yourself from personal contact but impossible to isolate yourself from things that you need and other people have interacted with - experts say this virus can survive on stuff for up to 90 days 

If there is a serious outbreak here in Thailand people will be sensible enough to protect themselves but the public need more detailed accurate information to enable them to make those choices under advisement, right now that information is seriously lacking - if the Thai authorities want people to be sensible and protect themselves that works both ways, information must to allow that to happen.

Those thinking about travel right now should consider were things could be over the coming weeks - they could end up stranded at either end or both, I know people who have already cancelled their holiday plans to Thailand because it is becoming increasing uncertain if they will be able travel home  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JWRC said:

I cant imagine their is anyone that would care to much for someone with this attitude.

• Like 1