All over 70s in UK told to self isolate, lockdowns, entry bans imposed worldwide

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Neo liberalism, global marketting, lack of many local manufacturers in many countries, dependency on China for cheap labour and outsourced manufacturing, perhaps the silver lining may be a reorganisation and less dependency on China

Or.....an  early resurgence of China with a retained capacity in  manufacturing  output, a less  fractured social  order, less distraction by  internal political divisiveness , proximity to fellow sympathetic Asian  nations, external debt roughly equivalent to the amount the US  owes it, politically on reasonably  good  terms  with  Russia, and  more.

Yes. Re organization is quite likely. If that were to eventuate in a more level and  co operative  global playing field  rather than the militarized battle  for  singular  dominance it would  be a   great and welcome thing.

Unfortunately as  the assumed  most  intelligent species on the planet  it is almost  certain  that  humanity  will  shoot itself in the  foot ...  yet again !

• Like 1

Coronavirus has led the government to warn UK citizens against travelling outside the country as borders around the world, with Dominic Raab saying people who do travel should realise they may not be able to get back to Britain. When they do return, however, life may look very different. Boris Johnson has urged people to work from home and avoid non-essential travel – particularly in London. Cinemas across the country have closed, while publicans and restaurateurs have warned their industry faces a cataclysm as millions stay home.

Mr Johnson suggested curfews could be introduced and emergency legislation to be introduced today could give police the power to detain people suspected of being infected. Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, is also expected to announce emergency financial measures to shore up the economy.

In the US, where entire states have closed public schools and ordered venues to shut, Donald Trump said the “new normal” may last until August. And in Europe, officials have unveiled plans to block the non-essential entry of all foreign nationals for a 30-day period in the face of “huge pressure” on healthcare systems. France’s Emmanuel Macron has instituted what he called an unprecedented peacetime clampdown, restricting movement for 15 days and telling citizens: “You will no longer be able to see your loved ones or continue your daily routine.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-news-live-uk-unveil-065600434.html

• Thanks 1

Without  any genuine attempts  to  cast suspicion  but  contemplating  the evidence of impact  to date of this  contagion I am left to  wonder if it has not presented not  a silver lining   but a  golden  lining studded  with diamonds as some solution to the  very real issue of  "too many"  old people in the  world?

In a world  that although for the moment C-19 is creating a pause in the fragile continuance of manipulated  illusions of global economic indulgence that  nations will  be "cleansed " to some degree  of those  that  despite dedicating their lives  to  support  and/or promote that illusion  or indeed  those who have been deprived of any opportunity in global locations deemed unnecessary in the "free world" of  materialistic achievement? The pensioners, the  incurable the poor on subsidized existence, the unhealthy unproductive on  medical benefits, etc etc........?

Only  of concern to those in political power who can expect protection !

No?

Italy has  already announced  it will concentrate  on other than the  most at risk ! What is  Italian  for  " If  you  are  80  or  older...good  luck ! "

Has  anyone from the UN  or  the  WHO expressed publicly any concern about the what if's  of  C-19 impacting  on the various nations that have not nor ever had any capacity to combat such a contagion?

Maybe the only  consideration  of  such  locales  by  others  might be that if C-19 were to  wipe out  the populace it would  be beneficial in Multinational Corporate extraction of the  mineral resources without so much the need  for UN  protection ! Think  Africa !

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Neo liberalism, global marketting, lack of many local manufacturers in many countries, dependency on China for cheap labour and outsourced manufacturing, perhaps the silver lining may be a reorganisation and less dependency on China

That was going to happen anyway. AI robotics means that companies can set up factories in home countries but not employ many staff, ( IMO staff costs are why they went to low cost countries to make stuff ). 3D printing is going to change everything about manufacturing.

Going to be hard for those with no skills though,  as their jobs disappear.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Without  any genuine attempts  to  cast suspicion  but  contemplating  the evidence of impact  to date of this  contagion I am left to  wonder if it has not presented not  a silver lining   but a  golden  lining studded  with diamonds as some solution to the  very real issue of  "too many"  old people in the  world?

In a world  that although for the moment C-19 is creating a pause in the fragile continuance of manipulated  illusions of global economic indulgence that  nations will  be "cleansed " to some degree  of those  that  despite dedicating their lives  to  support  and/or promote that illusion  or indeed  those who have been deprived of any opportunity in global locations deemed unnecessary in the "free world" of  materialistic achievement? The pensioners, the  incurable the poor on subsidized existence, the unhealthy unproductive on  medical benefits, etc etc........?

Only  of concern to those in political power who can expect protection !

No?

Italy has  already announced  it will concentrate  on other than the  most at risk ! What is  Italian  for  " If  you  are  80  or  older...good  luck ! "

Has  anyone from the UN  or  the  WHO expressed publicly any concern about the what if's  of  C-19 impacting  on the various nations that have not nor ever had any capacity to combat such a contagion?

Maybe the only  consideration  of  such  locales  by  others  might be that if C-19 were to  wipe out  the populace it would  be beneficial in Multinational Corporate extraction of the  mineral resources without so much the need  for UN  protection ! Think  Africa !

I expect you will get some negative comments about that post!

As an oldie, I don't expect to be given the option of ventilation if it comes to it, but it would be nice if they were to start handing out sleepy pills in the event though, as suffocating slowly with pneumonia is no way to go out for anyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As an oldie, I don't expect to be given the option of ventilation if it comes to it, but it would be nice if they were to start handing out sleepy pills in the event though, as suffocating slowly with pneumonia is no way to go out for anyone.

Make  no  mistake !  I am a thinking  man in an old  body.

I have occupationally witnessed gruesome ,excrutionately painful,  horrifying  medical afflictions on people from childhood  to  geriatric  that thankfully  the  vast  vast majority never have nor would I wish they did.

If I were to contract  C-19 I intend  to survive  it. If I do  not  then I  am already  aware there  are afflictions  that  I certainly  would   prefer  not  to die of.

The advantage of  becoming  older is  the comprehension of how short life is and the acknowledgement of the  fact that when young/younger for some reason there is no such genuine comprehension of that and  it defies any form of  being  taught.

In the  event of  dying due to  pneumonia? It has  long been  called the old man's friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have an exit strategy involving helium or co2 and a plastic bag. Relatively easy for me but not so much fun for my Thai wife and son.

Although others I have spoken to have no intention to change their existing plans to return to the UK subject to travel restrictions, I have decided to stick rather than twist and ride the situation out here. I just can't see the point of flying back to what appears to be a worse situation. One 70+ friend has more or less bunkered himself into his apartment in London with 6 months of supplies. Slips out at night for some walking exercise. Not something I am keen to return to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Although others I have spoken to have no intention to change their existing plans to return to the UK subject to travel restrictions, I have decided to stick rather than twist and ride the situation out here. I just can't see the point of flying back to what appears to be a worse situation. One 70+ friend has more or less bunkered himself into his apartment in London with 6 months of supplies. Slips out at night for some walking exercise. Not something I am keen to return to.

fair enough

a couple of my friends from UK has recently gone back to UK,

they said that they would prefer to be sick in UK rather than in LoS

• Like 1

What about someone whos 70th birthday is next week. 7 days of shopping then locked down?

Or in my case, I am over that fateful number, haven't been out for a week or so. My Mrs and her girl are down the market every other day, go to meet at friend's houses, wash their hands.....your'e joking. So who is presenting the biggest risk, me or them?

On 3/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, melvinmelvin said:

fair enough

a couple of my friends from UK has recently gone back to UK,

they said that they would prefer to be sick in UK rather than in LoS

I decided at the time there appeared to be a greater risk of infection in the UK than Thailand. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, stouricks said:

What about someone whos 70th birthday is next week. 7 days of shopping then locked down?

Or in my case, I am over that fateful number, haven't been out for a week or so. My Mrs and her girl are down the market every other day, go to meet at friend's houses, wash their hands.....your'e joking. So who is presenting the biggest risk, me or them?

For someone who is 69, it is a judgement call. Too err on the safe side or not.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:53 AM, billd766 said:

I have an exit strategy involving helium or co2 and a plastic bag. Relatively easy for me but not so much fun for my Thai wife and son.

I hope you meant CO and not CO2. CO2 triggers the body to breathe and if you used that you'd be in a bad way IMO. I'm well aware of the helium method, but never heard of CO2 being used.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:42 PM, SheungWan said:

For someone who is 69, it is a judgement call. Too err on the safe side or not.

The disease, in the main kills people with underlying medical complications. For an over 70 with no underlying conditions and a reasonably good immune system IMO it's no more dangerous than for a 69 year old. IMO they just picked on it as an easy age to remember. It's like the age of consent- some countries think it should be 18 and others think 15 is fine.

People should be given the facts and make up their own mind. Just because I'm old does not mean I'm senile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The disease, in the main kills people with underlying medical complications. For an over 70 with no underlying conditions and a reasonably good immune system IMO it's no more dangerous than for a 69 year old. IMO they just picked on it as an easy age to remember. It's like the age of consent- some countries think it should be 18 and others think 15 is fine.

People should be given the facts and make up their own mind. Just because I'm old does not mean I'm senile.

Younger people have died, so the assumption that an older guy's decent immune system is a get out of jail card isn't so. It may help but no guarantee IMHO.

Edited by SheungWan

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Australian PM said " those over 70 can go shopping with a carer" presuming all over 70 need support and care.

Granted many over 70 do have underlying health conditions, but Scotty from Marketing discounted the number of fit and healthy ones

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Younger people have died, so the assumption that an older guy's decent immune system is a get out of jail card isn't so. It may help but no guarantee IMHO.

I'm assuming the "younger" people had underlying medical problems.

WE can either hide in our room for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months and hope we don't get it when necessity chases us out, or we can get on with living, so long as we are not already ill.

Life is a terminal disease and none of us gets out alive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have read of a few younger ones, 13, 19 and 42 who are stated to have no comorbid conditions, but until there are file audits completed in each jurisdiction, and that will take a considerable time, we cannot know for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WE can either hide in our room for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months and hope we don't get it when necessity chases us out, or we can get on with living, so long as we are not already ill.

Or you can decide you're still too young to die, and avoid endangering someone else's health.

As well, you can choose  not to die by suffocation, in the worst case in a hospiital, but watch "Six feet under" sheltered in your place... 

34 minutes ago, Opl said:

Or you can decide you're still too young to die, and avoid endangering someone else's health.

As well, you can choose  not to die by suffocation, in the worst case in a hospiital, but watch "Six feet under" sheltered in your place... 

Given my living situation I'm far more likely to catch it from someone else than give it.

I've nearly died many times in my life, and we don't get born with a certificate of guaranteed life time. Death can come for any of us at any time. One can accept that or spend one's life in fear.

A short period of suffocation may be very unpleasant, but a long drawn out death by cancer is worse, and that might have happened to me if they hadn't have cut it out when they did.

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Or we can modify our behaviour to minimise the risk to ourselves and to others. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given my living situation I'm far more likely to catch it from someone else than give it.

I've nearly died many times in my life, and we don't get born with a certificate of guaranteed life time. Death can come for any of us at any time. One can accept that or spend one's life in fear.

A short period of suffocation may be very unpleasant, but a long drawn out death by cancer is worse, and that might have happened to me if they hadn't have cut it out when they did.

I know what you are talking about, and it's good to get a second / third... chance, while it's still difficult to combat the threat of it  

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think you can assume that at all.

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The Australian PM said " those over 70 can go shopping with a carer" presuming all over 70 need support and care.

Granted many over 70 do have underlying health conditions, but Scotty from Marketing discounted the number of fit and healthy ones

There is no way of knowing on the street whether someone is absent of the virus.

42 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There is no way of knowing on the street whether someone is absent of the virus.

No my post was about over "70 shopping with a carer", the assumption being all over 70s needing "care"

I can gaurantee that I have more exercise daily than the Australian PM.