Poll: 53pc of tourists say will still travel to Phuket even if COVID-19 case confirmed

webfact

Poll: 53pc of tourists say will still travel to Phuket even if COVID-19 case confirmed

By The Phuket News

1584332593_1-org.jpg

Tourists are checked at Phuket International Airport. Photo: AoT

PHUKET: More than half of the foreign visitors to Phuket who responded to an online poll by The Phuket News voted that a person in Phuket being confirmed as infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus should not affect tourists’ decision to travel here: “It should not affect their decision at all as long reasonable precautions are taken.”

The poll ran online for two weeks and drew more than 1,700 respondents, of whom 33% were Thai nationals, 14% were local expatriate residents and 53% were foreign visitors to Phuket.

In response to ongoing travel bans, self-quarantine requirements and oblique reporting of COVID cases in Phuket, The Phuket News asked readers the simple question: “Even if Phuket had one or more confirmed cases of people infected with the coronavirus, if those people were quickly identified and moved to isolation, should this affect tourists’ in their decision to come to Phuket?”

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/poll-53pc-of-tourists-say-will-still-travel-to-phuket-even-if-covid-19-case-confirmed-75290.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-16

27 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Online polls are essentially worthless. Hmm let me try to get this straight: Tourists already in Phuket are saying they are coming to Phuket? Or did they mean travel around the island... ? It's like "People eating at McDonald's say they will eat at McDonald's"

Nothing to say the readers are in Phuket. Nothing to say they were all tourists either. I think you read a different article.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The poll ran online for two weeks and drew more than 1,700 respondents, of whom 33% were Thai nationals, 14% were local expatriate residents and 53% were foreign visitors to Phuket.

Let me guess:

100% of the Thai nationals and local expatriate residents were business owners who 

own businesses that are heavily reliant on tourism...eg food, guesthouse, rubntug....

???? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Nothing to say the readers are in Phuket. Nothing to say they were all tourists either. I think you read a different article.

"More than half of the foreign visitors to Phuket who responded to an online poll by The Phuket News voted that a person in Phuket being confirmed as infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus should not affect tourists’ decision to travel here: “It should not affect their decision at all as long reasonable precautions are taken.” "Half of visitors to Phuket" means visitors already there. If they meant "potential visitors to Phuket" they should have said so.

It does say "14% were local expatriate residents": as they are already there, they don't have to make a decision to travel there. It's like saying "I think I'll go home. Oh wait, I am home". And "53% were foreign visitors to Phuket." "Were" as in "already there". Who knows about the 33% Thai & where they are/were/might be: do they live and/or work in Phuket? That might color answer a tad. On top of all that, question used in poll was opinion affecting tourist decisions, not so much their own.

Sometimes articles clarity is like reading tea leaves. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, JulesMad said:

This only confirms the level of intelligence of people who travel to Phuket... 'Idiots' is a word that comes to mind :coffee1:

Is this comment related to people who travel to Thailand during this health crisis, or are you just generally insulting all of us who live in, or visit, Phuket?

2 weeks ago Western countries thought they could control Cv-19. And to many Westerners have grown up not seeing infectious disease as a problem (hi, anti-vaxers!). How wrong they are is now becoming obvious. Stupidity seems to the natural state for the human race. Only the minority seem to understand these issues, the rest go with the herd (accept the majority advice, without doing their own analysis).