What are Thais stocking up on pre-lockdown?

Trujillo

I was at Central Festival today and saw this:  1) One couple had 48 rolls of toilet paper and two bags of rice along with some usual grocery items.  2) A woman had a shopping cart full of infant formula.  The checkout lines were a little bit longer but it was not like a panic shopping.  All the shelves were fully stocked.  

• Thanks 1

I was at Rimping (Meechok Plaza) a bit before 2 and it was crowded. Saw some with two or even three shopping carts piled high with stuff. Buying everything and lots of it. I left because I only wanted a couple of items. Went around the corner to Tops Market and there was hardly anyone there. In and out in 4 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I was at Central Festival today and saw this:  1) One couple had 48 rolls of toilet paper and two bags of rice along with some usual grocery items.  2) A woman had a shopping cart full of infant formula.  The checkout lines were a little bit longer but it was not like a panic shopping.  All the shelves were fully stocked.  

wow, unbelievable, I buy one pack of bog rolls every month for our business....it has 48 rolls in it.

all bog rolls come in packs of 24,36,48

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The virus does not give you the <deleted>s 55555555 

• Haha 1

The supermarket runs and hoarding going on the US is big on Thai news- TP is a major item- the Thais buying loads of it are just copying them. 

I told my wife that butt-washers aren't big in the US, necessitating a greater need for the stuff.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, flare said:

The supermarket runs and hoarding going on the US is big on Thai news- TP is a major item- the Thais buying loads of it are just copying them. 

I told my wife that butt-washers aren't big in the US, necessitating a greater need for the stuff.

Copying, or scared? I think the latter.

Hoarding is not only "going on in the US"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, why so much TP.

I just spray it clean, then wipe off the water with my hand.

I thought everyone did it this way.

I finish by licking my hand to make sure the job was well done. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, flare said:

Yes, I'm aware of that- I was referring to the toilet paper hoarding specifically, which, as some people in the US have literally hundreds of rolls, seems a bit excessive...

I'm from the US, and I'm keeping a close eye on what's going on as I'm worried about my elderly father who's in NY.

From what I remember it started in Hong Kong after a rumour that the raw material would be diverted to making mask in China. Then in Australia, I think they got scared for the same reason. The rest of the world followed even tho, I think most of the toilet paper is produced locally. Especially North America, I don't see how there could be shortage of toilet paper unless some required chemicals come from China. 

Edited by Tayaout