Life as usual in Thailand

Brunolem

Much the same up here where I live , of course the virus is on folks agenda but there is no panic but I believe the Friday walking street has been cancelled , not a panic situation but just a precaution as many hill tribers and many come from miles around .

Live goes on . The bad air quality is more of a topic. 

• Like 1

Only yesterday for the first time did the local poo yai use the tannoy to ask people to be aware of the virus, wash hands, no big gatherings etc. He has repeated it a few times since, better late than never.

However just 2 days before, he invited half the village and many outsiders to his home next weekend to celebrate his son becoming a monk. 2 days of eating drinking and sharing space.

I fear the villages will not escape any of this even though remote, the returning diaspora now and at the 'cancelled' songkran will see to that.

• Like 2

Its up to the individual how serious you take this. Personally, I am only doing essential trips or visits if I need to. Look at morbidity rates for this virus, its frighting and I can't believe the attitude of most people comparing it to road accidents or common flu. Thailand is an open house to anyone that can get here...total madness but money here is King. Anyone with any sense would be staying home.

I live in a quiet rural part of Suphanburi about 60km from the city. A few months ago a second set of tannoys was installed by the local tessaban near our house, we already had one set for the pooyai. Nothing was broadcast on the Tessaban system until Corona reared its head, since then we've had updates accompanied by much fanfare via the tannoys virtually every day at four in the afternoon.

There's talk today of our local markets closing (the every day ones as well as the larger 'talad nat', which will be good news for the smaller roadside shops - every cloud having a silver lining.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They should watch some Thai news on TV then because there is enough info there.

Of course there is.

But why let such obvious facts get in the way of a fun little <deleted> at Thais.

We live among neanderthals... be constantly alert.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thanks for your interesting report.  Trust all will go well for your area as this virus is a real indiscriminate killer and is easily transmitted in crowded venues...

Personally, I would avoid crowds for the time being...

I wouldn't bother if the crowds are in your community.  You will suffer the consequences sooner or later anyway.

At the moment, I don't think that the individual risk from COVID-19 justifies any particular precautions beyond good hygiene and polite standoffishness.  But from a societal point of view, we all should be making every reasonable effort to prevent the spread of the disease.  But that relies on a societal effort and everyone's participation,  whether willing or unwilling.

2 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

No I don't... and only kidding.

My wife's extended family are a mixed lot, but predominately good people and not a neanderthal among them.

My bolding for context for the reply.

You can't tell; they're bred into us now.  Do any of your relatives play rugby league?

In my village in Isan and indeed in the nearby market town everything is as normal, the temple festivals with large crowds still go on etc. This isn't due to ignorance it's due to the fact that we have no cases of covid-19, Isan is a backwater, this could,will change when laid off workers return home from BKK etc but country folk are a stoic lot so I don't expect the hysteria shown in big cities. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fruitman said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

<so, whats up?>.... an opportunity to ridicule the simpleminded locals seems what’s up !!!! 

Why do you write that they are simpleminded? They are not..

Re-phrased, just for you ????.... ‘an opportunity to ridicule the locals as if they are simpleminded seems what’s up !!!! 

Here where I live just south of Kao Yai, It is business as usual, restaurants are open, but with fewer guests, Shopping malls are open but nobody is hoarding (although I did see a couple buying a ton of toilet paper the other day, for what reason I do not know), people at work are talking about social distancing and at work we are not allowed to have face to face meetings, only zoom is allowed, deliveries are controlled and all people entering our company (including employees) are temperature checked and nobody is allowed to enter without a face mask. Generally you see fewer people out and about.

Same where I live. They think it's only something happening fat far away in Bangkok (3 hours drive). They won't change their mind until the military is on the street or the village's elderly start dying and they can't assist to the cremation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They should watch some Thai news on TV then because there is enough info there.

I don’t think it computes - I have been showing the wife scenes from different countries on the news around the world. She is aware of the situation of the China as all of my business is based there. She watches the news every night, listened to PM (and because of that the soap didnt start until later), the next door neighbour works for Chevron and flies to work on rotation, he’s been given a month off, her friend owns a nursery and the province has told them they need to close up temporarily. So she is aware of the severity of the situation.

I suggested that it may be an idea to just do what we normally do, just stay at home, but make an effort to stay away from crowds - I told her to go to Big C which is 3 mins away and stock up with everything we might need for a couple of weeks.

Next thing, I look up and she’s dressed to go to Yoga - Wt? Oh the teacher hasn’t sent a LINE message saying it will close yet. Last night I went to make a sandwich, no bread - “No problem, I will go to the shops tomorrow”

• Haha 2

They won't change their mind until the military is on the street or the village's elderly start dying and they can't assist to the cremation. 

By then it will be too late as they go about sharing food and drinks and cigs. Whole villagers could be wiped out except for the younger

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Its up to the individual how serious you take this. Personally, I am only doing essential trips or visits if I need to. Look at morbidity rates for this virus, its frighting and I can't believe the attitude of most people comparing it to road accidents or common flu. Thailand is an open house to anyone that can get here...total madness but money here is King. Anyone with any sense would be staying home.

Sounds reasonable. For me I haven't changed my routine because living alone I've always practised a kind of 'semi-isolation' anyway. I go and see my ex-girlfriend once every month/six weeks; personal shopping twice a week but most of the time I reading or workout.

all fine in Phuket, was in central mall yesterday, lunch at Fuji, (only 4 other tables occupied,)
shopping at the supermarket, (fully stocked shelves)

ride back to kamala, little traffic.

beach and swimming the afternoon, still tourists enjoying the sea, lots of families,

what with bars closing, guess it will be very quiet a night

not a bad place to wait it out   ????

• Like 1