Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

What happens now after the NBTC visit?  

The report get sent to a committee, which will decide on what needs to be done, and will eventually reprimand the ISP.

They will negotiate with the ISP on what has to be done

While the technicians were still here, I already received a phone call from the guy in Bangkok who handles the claim, with the question that if the ISP can not solve the issue, what would be an acceptable solution.

So I get the feeling that the ISP is not able, or maybe not willing because of high costs involved, to fix the issue and is suggesting a discount on the monthly fee.

So we will have to see what follows.

While you are here now, do you have any comments on what we experience with the international speed results?

When connected by Cat5e to the 1Gb port of the router, we get a speed of 10 Mbps. Tested on 2 different routers and 2 PC's.

When connected through the 100 Mb switch, get ~ 25 Mbps. When connected either 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi get easily 40 Mbps.

It is not testmy.net related, as we did tests to London with speedtest.net with similar results.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

While you are here now, do you have any comments on what we experience with the international speed results?

When connected by Cat5e to the 1Gb port of the router, we get a speed of 10 Mbps. Tested on 2 different routers and 2 PC's.

When connected through the 100 Mb switch, get ~ 25 Mbps. When connected either 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi get easily 40 Mbps.

It is not testmy.net related, as we did tests to London with speedtest.net with similar results.

Normally, it's due ethernet driver/port misconfiguration...and normally people experience problems where their  1Gb (1000Mb) ethernet port "which syncs" at 1000Mb, 100Mb, or 10Mb being caused to mistakenly downshift from 1000Mb to either 100Mb or 10Mb which can cause a chokepoint if the incoming signal is really faster than 100Mb or 10Mb.  Like inadvertently putting a sharp bend in a water hose....the water flow gets choked way down.

Then there is the TCP window size, for ethernet and Wifi connections, which changes sizes from bigger to smaller.....smaller to bigger.....based on the amount of data packet errors being received...errors that cause retransmissions.  More errors causes the TCP window to get smaller which slows down data throughput rate due to the small window and more retransmissions (rework) occurring.   This can cause your ethernet basic sync rate to downshift to 100Mb or 10Mb from 1000Mb. 

A person would think an ethernet connection vs Wifi connection would provide the best transmission pipe for the lowest error rate, but due to other internet connection problems the Wifi connection ends up providing a faster connection.  

But in your case the problem occurs not only on your computer but also on 3BB techs' computers...and your router and ethernet cables has also been swapped out. 

So, I would have to assume the problem is upstream of the router.  And upstream could be your fiber optics line running to your hose (even with good optical power but that is distorted power/a distorted signal with high error rate), some junction box along the trunk line, 3BB servers, your acct setup, etc.  So, that's something "you" can not fix; only "3BB" can fix that problem....a problem they can't (unwilling or incapable) of fixing to date.

If you had a choice of another fiber optics/high speed ISP in your area, you should just switch but if I remember right without rereading this long thread 3BB is your only choice.  I use to be in a similar situation years back in my western Bangkok moobaan, with only TOT ADSL available.  The True cable (DOCSIS) came to my moobaan...I immediately switched and worked fine.  Then a few years later AIS Fibre came to my moobaan...I immediately switched due to much lower pricing.  And over the last year 3BB and TOT fiber are now in my moobaan.  Got high speed choices coming out my ears....went from starving for high speed internet to where I can't possibly eat it all now.

Best of luck in your continued fight with 3BB....hope your connection speed "magically" fixes itself one day.  If that occurs chances are extremely high 3BB finally fixed the issue, but they will probably never admit that to you.   I had an issued years back to where my AIS Fibre "international" speed suddenly dropped to approx one-third of what it normally was....even to Singapore.  My in-Thailand speed was still full speed.  I went around-and-around with AIS over a six week period in trying to resolve the problem....many, many phone calls...at least one AIS tech visit....numerouos techs/engineers taking to me about the problem during phone calls.  The international speed started getting a little better around the 5th week of my constant bitching to AIS....and then "magically" on one morning in the 6th week the international speed was back to normal....like snapping your fingers....like flipping a switch....and has been fine ever since....for many years now.  Summary: AIS finally fixed their international speed chokepoint problem...a problem they refused to openly admit to me during my 6th week bitching with them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

But in your case the problem occurs not only on your computer but also on 3BB techs' computers...and your router and ethernet cables has also been swapped out. 

What I forgot to add is that during those tests we also changed the Ethernet adapter setting on the 3BB technician laptop from 1Gb full duplex to 100 Mb full duplex, with the same result as if we connected to the 100 Mb switch.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

some junction box along the trunk line

That is what I suspect for long time already, and I have a feeling that the 3BB technician has the same suspicion, but that will take some effort from them to check all junction boxes one by one

• Like 1

You guys sound tech savvy and I am not and so can offer little argument to the 3 bb techs when they come to my place and use their dodgy speed test app to show 950 mbps but using an on on line  speed test shows less than 100mbps and then they blame my equipment  . I have been email speaking to NBTC by email and phone and have not taken the final step to formalise my complaint as I am waiting for the outcome on the Susco case . I stopped paying the monthly subs and 3bb cut me off at a time when I needed the net and had to re-subscribe . I told them I wanted to cancel the 2 year contract but they said I would have to pay for the fibre installation and the remaining months of the contract . BTW my speed tests make little difference either by Ethernet or WiFi . 

2 hours ago, superal said:

You guys sound tech savvy and I am not and so can offer little argument to the 3 bb techs when they come to my place and use their dodgy speed test app to show 950 mbps but using an on on line  speed test shows less than 100mbps and then they blame my equipment  . I have been email speaking to NBTC by email and phone and have not taken the final step to formalise my complaint as I am waiting for the outcome on the Susco case . I stopped paying the monthly subs and 3bb cut me off at a time when I needed the net and had to re-subscribe . I told them I wanted to cancel the 2 year contract but they said I would have to pay for the fibre installation and the remaining months of the contract . BTW my speed tests make little difference either by Ethernet or WiFi . 

is it possible your computer has 100Mbps ethernet ports or your cable is cat5 (not cat5e) ?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

is it possible your computer has 100Mbps ethernet ports or your cable is cat5 (not cat5e) ?

One does the other no , however with TOT I was getting 200 to 300mnps and more plus my android box 

H96 Pro 4k Ultra HD connected by cat5e gives the same low speeds 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:28 PM, Susco said:

What I forgot to add is that during those tests we also changed the Ethernet adapter setting on the 3BB technician laptop from 1Gb full duplex to 100 Mb full duplex, with the same result as if we connected to the 100 Mb switch.

That is what I suspect for long time already, and I have a feeling that the 3BB technician has the same suspicion, but that will take some effort from them to check all junction boxes one by one

What gets me is 3 BB advertise their 1 GB service and do not seem to care if they cannot deliver it but still want the money as if they have delivered it . Then threaten me by saying if you do not pay for the residue of the contract and installation you cannot cancel . 

I do not understand that when they plug their laptop into my router they get big numbers yet none of my devices do nor do any of my restaurant customers on their i phones , telling me the signal is weak on their connected wifi to my router. My previous TOT fibre delivered up to around 600 mbps and good wifi .  Maybe I should return to them and prove it is not my equipment and try to get compensation via the NBTC

5 hours ago, superal said:

One does the other no , however with TOT I was getting 200 to 300mnps and more plus my android box 

H96 Pro 4k Ultra HD connected by cat5e gives the same low speeds 

You can't expect an underpowered android box to get very high speeds even with a gigabit ethernet. 

If 3bb laptop can get 1gbs in speedtest, but your devices can't, then it could be in your hardware. You should test it with some other device, maybe a friend's laptop or something?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

What gets me is 3 BB advertise their 1 GB service and do not seem to care if they cannot deliver it but still want the money as if they have delivered it . Then threaten me by saying if you do not pay for the residue of the contract and installation you cannot cancel . 

I do not understand that when they plug their laptop into my router they get big numbers yet none of my devices do nor do any of my restaurant customers on their i phones , telling me the signal is weak on their connected wifi to my router. My previous TOT fibre delivered up to around 600 mbps and good wifi .  Maybe I should return to them and prove it is not my equipment and try to get compensation via the NBTC

Weak wifi is from cheap provided wifi router. If you spend a good amount of money for a nice wifi router or AP, your restaurant guests can benefit from higher speeds easily. Also, placement of router could be wrong, so many things could distort 2.4 ghz wifi signal.

2 hours ago, superal said:

I am using ToT, 500/500Mbps pkg for about a year and the speeds in Thailand from my location are excellent (refer to attached SCR shot), and international speeds are 400 to 500Mbps depending on Europe or USA/CAN while connected to a vpn. I think the cost is 900 THB/month for the 500Mbps fiber service and it performs admirably with consistent reliability. U should consider trying ToT again. They offer 1Gbps/500Mbps pkg for 1200THB but I have not tested it.

ToT-cli-speed_MAY26.jpg

Edited by i84teen
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, i84teen said:

international speeds are 400 to 500Mbps depending on Europe or USA/CAN while connected to a vpn.

I would love to see such a EU or US speed test result of 400 - 500 Mbps.

Would you mind to post one?

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

Ok, standby.

Tested to De (FRA) using IKEv2 vpn connection on CAT5E from an Asus AC86U on a macbook using ookla cli.

TH_FRA_Speed_cli.jpg

Edited by i84teen

ToT speedtest from TH (chonburi) to west coast USA (Los Angeles), macbook ookla cli, Cat5E, asus router, IKEv2 vpn connection.

Theses speeds are possible as shown/authenticated here with a robust network setup and obviously a performance rated ISP, in this case ToT. Bear in mind these test speeds are used on my 500/500Mbps ToT fiber package AND connected to a vpn.

TH_LA_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by i84teen

4 minutes ago, i84teen said:

ToT speedtest from TH (chonburi) to west coast USA (Los Angeles), macbook ookla cli, Cat5E, asus router, IKEv2 vpn connection.

Theses speeds are possible as shown/authenticated here with a robust network setup and obviously a performance rated ISP, in this case ToT. Bear in mind these test speeds are used on my 500/500Mbps ToT fiber package AND connected to a vpn.

TH_LA_Speedtest.jpg

That is an extreme fast speed, especially for TOT, which is considered the worst ISP in Thailand for international connections.

Your latency is also low. Normally get around 260 - 270ms to US, and I thought VPN would always increase latency

33 minutes ago, Susco said:

On this test to a server in Sri Lanka conducted moments ago, I actually exceeded the stated ToT fiber pkg speeds (500/500Mbps speeds.

TH_speedtest_SriLanka_IKEv2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

That is an extreme fast speed, especially for TOT, which is considered the worst ISP in Thailand for international connections.

Your latency is also low. Normally get around 260 - 270ms to US, and I thought VPN would always increase latency

Well, proof's in the puddin. I see latency under 200 to eu and US locations most of the time.

Just now, i84teen said:

Well, proof's in the puddin. I see latency under 200 to eu and US locations most of the time.

Under 200 to EU is normal, US is a tad further, so same latency is realistically not possible

• Haha 1

Try this: do a trace route test with and w/o VPN and take a note of how many servers are given on the WAN (w/o VPN) connection. May explain how the latency improves with a good vpn service.

1 minute ago, i84teen said:

Try this: do a trace route test with and w/o VPN and take a note of how many servers are given on the WAN (w/o VPN) connection. May explain how the latency improves with a good vpn service.

Who is your VPN service provider?

Edited by Pib

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Under 200 to EU is normal, US is a tad further, so same latency is realistically not possible

Huh? I just showed you 193 ms to Los Angeles. Just because you can't get this performance doesn't me other don't. Maybe get a proper setup and try to improve your situation. It's possible as I have shown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Huh? I just showed you 193 ms to Los Angeles.

Yes you have shown me. and I told you that it is extreme low, in fact I never seen a latency like that to LA.

Maybe @Pib can confirm if he get latencies like this to LA.

To answer your other question, but I'm happy to be corrected on that as well.

https://www.vpnuniversity.com/learn/vpn-speed

Latency

Latency is the other component of speed. Latency is the amount of time it between sending a request and receiving a response from a server you’re trying to access (like a website). A VPN will always add latency because it requires your data to be routed to the VPN server before reaching the destination webserver.

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Maybe @Pib can confirm if he get latencies like this to LA.

I'm on AIS Fibre and yes I can get latencies under 200ms to the US west coast....not all the time (like right now during Thailand prime time), but at other times I can.   I like to use Seattle because I can many times get latency of around 190-195ms.  To San Francisco and LA many times its in the 200-210ms ballpark and sometimes it drops a little below 200ms....but right now in Thailand prime time 8pm I'm getting around 210ms to LA.  Like below test I just did on one of my laptops with a Wifi connection

image.png.37a6a42ce484add0b33e0465554f4261.png

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm on AIS Fibre and yes I can get latencies under 200ms to the US west coast....not all the time (like right now during Thailand prime time), but at other times I can.   I like to use Seattle because I can many times get latency of around 190-195ms.  To San Francisco and LA many times its in the 200-210ms ballpark and sometimes it drops a little below 200ms....but right now in Thailand prime time 8pm I'm getting around 210ms to LA.  Like below test I just did on one of my laptops with a Wifi connection

image.png.37a6a42ce484add0b33e0465554f4261.png

You are correct, just did the same test as above, and got 220ms, second attempt was 202ms

I was looking thru some past speedtests on the particular computer I'm using right now....it always on a Wifi connection....below is some typical results in my tests to Seattle "with a VPN connection" as I was checking out the speed of ExpressVPN with a Seattle VPN connection....as you can see I was getting in the mid 190ms ballpark...with one test as low as 181.

Now on my other, more horsepower laptop which I use with an ethernet connection sometimes I can many times pull 300 to 450Mb VPN connection speeds to the US west coast....at other times only around 250Mb.  I'm on an AIS 700/50Mb plan.

image.png.aaa7dac143bbdf8235d9751b1828cae7.png

image.png.849b4394fe1f2744b02c3498f3c29261.png

image.png.ff26c0b7e0a872856d96b5384f8dd5f4.png

image.png.786fa66b65f10096796dc5cd775d7387.png

1 hour ago, Susco said:

ToT is considered the worst ISP in TH? Says who, you?

Why is it the worst, whats the criteria in arriving at your assessment?

A couple of weeks back my neighbor asked me to assist with setting up an iMesh system in his house which has 3BB 1000Mbps pkg and I tested the speed from an old netgear router on ethernet Cat5e and the speed was right up there reaching 980Mbps. So, yes, I would say 3BB is delivering the stated gigabit speeds, at least for some users.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I was looking thru some past speedtests on the particular computer I'm using right now....it always on a Wifi connection....below is some typical results in my tests to Seattle "with a VPN connection" as I was checking out the speed of ExpressVPN with a Seattle VPN connection....as you can see I was getting in the mid 190ms ballpark...with one test as low as 181.

Now on my other, more horsepower laptop which I use with an ethernet connection sometimes I can many times pull 300 to 450Mb VPN connection speeds to the US west coast....at other times only around 250Mb.  I'm on an AIS 700/50Mb plan.

image.png.aaa7dac143bbdf8235d9751b1828cae7.png

image.png.849b4394fe1f2744b02c3498f3c29261.png

image.png.ff26c0b7e0a872856d96b5384f8dd5f4.png

image.png.786fa66b65f10096796dc5cd775d7387.png

Tonight, speed test from TH to SEA using OpenVPN on ToT 500/500Mbps: >600Mbps, higher latency. The test beneath is IKEv2 protocol (VPN.ac) from TH to Seattle as well. Both tests on macbook, Asus AC86U, Cat5e, Cat6, while streaming HD sports @ 60fps.

Perhaps all those who subscribe to gigabit connections in TH and end up whining, moaning & whinging about domestic d/l speeds should switch to a lesser pkg with ToT or whatever else is available in your loction.

OpenVPN speed test_SEA.jpg

Edited by i84teen