Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

30 minutes ago, muratremix said:

with 67% cpu you get 940 mbps using app vs much lower with browser, you don't need to be genius to figure it out?

it's simple math.

Look at the CPU usage using the browser.

It is the same, you need to be blind not to notice that.

image.png.5bf424eec8e7a455c288d36f3b091bad.png

5 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Nobody is forcing you to use 3BB, there is no monopoly in Thailand and you are free to switch to another provider. Are you sure you're not working for a 3BB competitor Susco? You surely sound like one!

And what about when none of the other providers are available at my location.

You sound like an idiot

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't worry, be happy. Under current usage conditions, a few hundred Mbps out of a 1GB service is great. I have 100 Mbps service in my city (because I'm cheap), and fiber optic right to my door, and use wired LAN, and I'm only getting download speed of 6 Mbps since the lockdown started and everybody is sitting at home using the net. If I were getting 40%-80% of 100 Mbps, I'd be happier than a pig in poo. 

7 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

I have 100 Mbps service in my city (because I'm cheap), and fiber optic right to my door, and use wired LAN, and I'm only getting download speed of 6 Mbps

Must be your browser that use too much of your CPU.

Ask muratremix, he knows everything about that

1 hour ago, Susco said:

67% CPU usage is considered normal CPU usage. When using the app it uses the same.

And why would my quad core be an issue but your quad core not?

ROFL - when I open a terminal to run speedtest, I don't even see any change in CPU with an old i3-4130 @ 3.400GHz. I get pretty much the same result in a browser... so maybe Windows is the problem, or the weather.

Certainly the whole reason testing is becoming an interesting topic is that for quite a few days now we suffered with 3BB giving patchy service (4-5 blackouts, but whenever I call I get some kind of story - and then it gets reset). Right now I'm stuck at about 54Mbits, and upload is very varied.

I'm not saying 54 isn't enough, but it's not full speed. The biggest issue for me is the blackouts, with 3BB messing about at any time within a month of the bill being due, interrupting browsing with a damn login screen to check what I already know... it generally means me calling them up and being a very irate 'why did you cut me off again?' and getting a 'sorry, the cable has a problem, I'll reset your connection'.

Pre warning, i am far from being tech savvy so please be gentle.

About one month ago our internet went off completely, called the wife to inform 3bb and she said its ok they are already on the case, one man up the pole 50m from our house. After several hours, still no internet and the engineers had gone. Wife called 3bb and next day man came ,  He was testing several things (i have no idea what) before he eventually went up the pole and got us back on line within a couple of minutes. 

He cahanged our router to an updated model with 2.4g and 5g wifi options, showed us speed tests,  roughly 300-400mb/s to his laptop and similar over wifi to my iphone8,  asked if we were happy, which i was and left. (Nb, At this point i didnt know the wife had changed our speed to  the 1000 package. All was good for a few days until our speed was below 10 mb/s. Calle 3bb agian and the man came , went up the pole, said it was too hot where it was? relocated it? and agin 300 to 400 speeds. i learnt today we have the 1000/1000 package at about 1200 bht / month. i see by the postings on here that its only 590 bht / month for 1000/100 package. Whats the benefit of having large Upload speeds?

Below is a  summary of speeds through a Lan connection to my about 5 year old laptop, I get faster speeds through wifi to my Iphone , will the problem be outdated laptop or something else

INDIVIDUAL RESULTS

Export Results
DATE /TIME   PING
ms
 DOWNLOAD
Mbps
 UPLOAD
Mbps
DISTANCE
mi
LOCATION /SERVER PROVIDER  

4/19/2020
12:54 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/19/2020
12:53 PM
< 50
Nonthaburi
AIS
3BB

4/19/2020
12:52 PM
< 50
Nonthaburi
AIS
3BB

4/19/2020
12:51 PM
< 50
Nonthaburi
AIS
3BB

4/19/2020
12:50 PM
< 50
Nonthaburi
AIS
3BB

4/16/2020
5:40 PM
< 50
Phnom Penh
SINET
A2B Internet

4/15/2020
12:59 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/15/2020
12:58 PM
< 50
Bangkok
Symphony Communication Public Company Limited
3BB

4/13/2020
1:42 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/13/2020
1:39 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/13/2020
11:17 AM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/13/2020
11:11 AM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/12/2020
12:55 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/12/2020
12:53 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

4/12/2020
12:23 PM
< 50
Bangkok
3BB
3BB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

....when I open a terminal to run speedtest, I don't even see any change in CPU with an old i3-4130 @ 3.400GHz. I get pretty much the same result in a browser... so maybe Windows is the problem, or the weather.

Just as crossfeed on my Win 10 Pro machine (5 year old Lenovo laptop with i7 CPU 4th gen, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD) using a Wifi connection and below is the following CPU usage percentage I got running various types of Speedtest.

- Speedtest Browser (Chrome)...not the extension, just running it at the speedtest.net website: 30%

- Speedtest App: 15%

- Speedtest cli (command line): 5%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

Look at the CPU usage using the browser.

It is the same, you need to be blind not to notice that.

image.png.5bf424eec8e7a455c288d36f3b091bad.png

speedtest app gives you 940 mbps with 67% cpu usage and your dumb browser gives you 363 mbit with 67% CPU usage.

Do you even know how to calculate?

I also did a speed test comparison using the Speedtest Browser, Speedtest App, and Speedtest CLI on my lowest horsepower machine....which is another Lenovo laptop around 4 years old with an i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, and 500GB SSD.  This connection was done with an ethernet connection. 

I did the tests to the same speedtest server since speeds can sometimes vary greatly between servers and I did the tests one right after the other....did them quickly....around 2 minutes max to run all the tests....tests done around 3:35pm/today/Sunday. I'm on an AIS Fibre 700/50 plan.   

As you see from the test results, the download/upload speeds were basically same-same, insignificant differences.   And when doing these same kind of tests with the i7 Lenovo laptop I mentioned in above post regarding CPU usage, the speed difference between the three different speedtest versions is once again insignificant. 

So, at least on my two Lenovo laptops I tested with over the last hour the various ways of running speedtest didn't make a difference in speed obtained. 

Over the coming days I'm going to activate my free one day upgrade to 1000/1000 speed and use my third Lenovo laptop which has more horsepower than the other two I used today to see if I can see any differences.   My gut is telling me I will not see any.

Speedtest Browser

129463689_Capture._UsingSpeedtestbrowser.JPG.d8d3368f387e2eda9d482f217d01d5aa.JPG

Speedtest App

52030151_Capture._UsingSpeedtestapp.JPG.0bc6e22fc458bd014e0e9f348954d310.JPG

Speedtest CLI

681378090_Capture_UsingSpeedtestCLI.JPG.ee2c69e14cab34a3238daaad90d98959.JPG

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Must be your browser that use too much of your CPU.

Ask muratremix, he knows everything about that

It's obvious for everybody else, your frequency is out of sync mate.

Use speedtest app, end of story, stop defamating 3BB with your browser speedtest excuse.

Not everybody has to be tech savvy, some people just don't get it (Hint: you're one of them) but it is okay. You are just too stubborn to not accept facts and the fact is you are able to get 940 Mbps with speedtest app, how's that?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

It's obvious for everybody else, your frequency is out of sync mate.

Use speedtest app, end of story, stop defamating 3BB with your browser speedtest excuse.

Not everybody has to be tech savvy, some people just don't get it (Hint: you're one of them) but it is okay. You are just too stubborn to not accept facts and the fact is you are able to get 940 Mbps with speedtest app, how's that?

You still haven't answered the question why I was able to get the full speed through browser 1 month ago.

Same PC - same browser - same speed test.

A few posts up I said: 

Over the coming days I'm going to activate my free one day upgrade to 1000/1000 speed and use my third Lenovo laptop which has more horsepower than the other two I used today to see if I can see any differences.   My gut is telling me I will not see any.

I did activate my one day free upgrade to AIS Fibre 1000/1000 and used my "more horsepower" laptop I mentioned above which is a Lenovo P53 workstation laptop with i7 9th gen CPU, 16GB RAM, and 500GB M.2 SSD.  Repeated the speed tests using Speedtest Browser, Speedtest App, and Speedtest CLI.     Tests done with an Ethernet connection at around 4pm/20Apr/today/Monday....all three tests done to the same Speedtest CAT server over less than two minutes.

As you'll see in the results (first three images below) basically same-same results between running the different types of Speedtest....insignificant speed differences.   

I also took a quick look at Task Manager CPU usage while running the tests with my P53 i7 CPU machine.  For the Speedtest CLI 4% and Speedtest App 10% which was pretty close to what my less powerful Lenovo laptop i5 CPU machine had reported 5% and 15%, respectively, in the tests I did yesterday and posted about above.  But surprisingly on my P53 machine I was surprised with the CPU percentage at around 45% when using Speedtest Browser.....significantly higher than the 30% used on my less powerful i5 CPU Lenovo laptop which only used 30% on Speedtest Browser.   

And the last/4th image is just extra/FYI info....it shows the speed I got with a 802.11AX Wifi6 (six) connection between my ASUS AX88U Wifi6 router and my P53 Wifi6 capable laptop with the 1Gb speed.  As you will see I got a 855Mb speed.  And that's not its top Wifi6 speed as before in some testing I used an external SSD USB 3.0 connection to the AX88 to act as the internet source...that SSD 3.0 connection was feeding significantly over 1Gb transfer speed into the AX88U and my Wifi results then were 992Mb for a large file transfer.  

Speedtest Browser (at their website...not browser extension)

Capture_onP53STbrowserCAT_20Apr.JPG.98a8338a6b1bf6baaa1225f4a870d773.JPG

Speedtest App

Capture_onP53STappCAT_20Apr.JPG.83023870b0e0c81a67b1bf494e86604a.JPG

Speedtest CLI

Capture_onP53STcliCAT_20Apr.JPG.225075b63d289a64bb9c61d4740e3d5c.JPG

Wifi6 (six) connection between my Asus AX88U Wifi6 router and Lenovo P53 Wifi6 laptop.

Capture_onP53STappWifiCAT_20Apr.JPG.c0b272f242d209046398aa38c60694f5.JPG

Edited by Pib

Or, they really have you on a 1000/1000 plan right now.  Maybe did an upgrade and didn't tell.  In the years I've been with AIS Fibre whenever an automatic upgrade occurred they never gave me any notice.  I found out accidentally from speed tests/checking my online acct.

Go to this webpage to see what it says as to what speed they have you set for right now.

https://myaisfibre.com/

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Go to this webpage to see what it says as to what speed they have you set for right now.

https://myaisfibre.com/

Well, when I checked earlier today it said 500/500, but for some reason it says: 

Current Package Info.    Internet Package  Speed BOOST Package Up to 1000/1000 Mbps for 1 day

now. So maybe it is accurate?

I did not choose this special one-day feature, but an AIS tech did come by my home today to drop off a new router, in advance of my upgrade from 500/500 (699 baht) to 1,000/500 (899 baht) on/about 16 May (based on my billing cycle). 

I have to say that this new router is impressive; Huawei HG 8245W5. The 5 GHz WLAN is awesome, giving ~ 200D/250U (Mbps) on my mobile devices. 

That explains your speed.  And yes, I'm sure it's accurate. 

I'm on an AIS 500/200 Power4Maxx plan and once a month I get a free one day upgrade to 1000/1000 due to paying my monthly bill on time.  Most times I never take advantage of the one day upgrade by activating it, but when I do I get speedtest results of over 900Mb download, but for whatever reason my upload speeds are usually in the 700-800Mb ballpark.

On my 500/200 I have it Speed Toggled to 700/50  and I get speeds of around 775/60.    Since I don't upload much of anything, 50Mb upload is more than enough for me in trade off for higher download speed.

Even though my package remains described as 

Serenade Package 500/500 Mbps 699 THB (16/03/2020 00:00:00 - 16/05/2020 00:00:00)

it looks like I still have this one-day 1000/1000 service.

Still not sure how real these numbers are though. I barely get 500 Mbps on a local FTP.

aisspeed_004.jpg

aisdl.jpg

aisupl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 7:31 AM, superal said:

Hi Susco ,

Do you have an update on your complaint against 3BB that you can share with us .  I am just about to do the same having spoken to the NBTC who come across as being a helpful agency 

I thought it was time for an update on my claim with NBTC.

3 weeks ago 3BB called me and said they wanted to make an appointment on 5 May, to visit together with NBTC technician.

On that day, 3BB technician arrived, but no NBTC technician. When I asked him he said that the NBTC technician would monitor the tests over remote connection.

Indeed he connected and someone at the other end was sending files to and uploading files from the laptop connected to my router.

The results were poor, and I filmed them all.

After the tests they wanted me to sign a document in Thai language. Yeah right

Now FWD to last Monday, when NBTC technician from Chantaburi calls me to make an appointment on Thursday to do some tests, and he says he has informed 3BB accordingly. The NBTC technician can only do tests accompanied by the ISP technicians

When I tell him about that May 5 test, he has no knowledge about, so 3bb has been lying through their teeth once again.

Just an hour ago the same NBTC technician informs me that 3BB has not responded to his request for the meetup tomorrow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I thought it was time for an update on my claim with NBTC.

3 weeks ago 3BB called me and said they wanted to make an appointment on 5 May, to visit together with NBTC technician.

On that day, 3BB technician arrived, but no NBTC technician. When I asked him he said that the NBTC technician would monitor the tests over remote connection.

Indeed he connected and someone at the other end was sending files to and uploading files from the laptop connected to my router.

The results were poor, and I filmed them all.

After the tests they wanted me to sign a document in Thai language. Yeah right

Now FWD to last Monday, when NBTC technician from Chantaburi calls me to make an appointment on Thursday to do some tests, and he says he has informed 3BB accordingly. The NBTC technician can only do tests accompanied by the ISP technicians

When I tell him about that May 5 test, he has no knowledge about, so 3bb has been lying through their teeth once again.

Just an hour ago the same NBTC technician informs me that 3BB has not responded to his request for the meetup tomorrow.

This is unbelieveable , stick to your guns and I just hope the NBTC can see through 3BB who appear to be a bunch of con men who hopefully will be exposed and you compensated . Good luck .

Had 3BB VDSL for a few years. Recently called hotline to ask what the procedure is to cancel as I think of switching to AIS. The staff explained it in detail and good english. Was surprised, all good. Then about a week later 3BB techs show up at my house out of the blue. The guy tells me "move router". I didn't get what he wants from me. He says "fiber, free". I said I didn't order anything. Called the hotline who said I had requested a tariff change. I said that's a lie and I didn't do that at all, I asked how to cancel. The staff on the hotline tells me she will look into who filed the tariff change and will call me back. Never received the callback. Meanwhile the staff on site tell me no contract change and no fees. Ok, whatever I let them change it and if 3BB thinks they can play funny games and give me a 2 years contract then I'll push back because I can prove that they said otherwise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Had 3BB VDSL for a few years. Recently called hotline to ask what the procedure is to cancel as I think of switching to AIS. The staff explained it in detail and good english. Was surprised, all good. Then about a week later 3BB techs show up at my house out of the blue. The guy tells me "move router". I didn't get what he wants from me. He says "fiber, free". I said I didn't order anything. Called the hotline who said I had requested a tariff change. I said that's a lie and I didn't do that at all, I asked how to cancel. The staff on the hotline tells me she will look into who filed the tariff change and will call me back. Never received the callback. Meanwhile the staff on site tell me no contract change and no fees. Ok, whatever I let them change it and if 3BB thinks they can play funny games and give me a 2 years contract then I'll push back because I can prove that they said otherwise.

How ?

On 5/20/2020 at 5:43 PM, superal said:

This is unbelieveable , stick to your guns and I just hope the NBTC can see through 3BB who appear to be a bunch of con men who hopefully will be exposed and you compensated . Good luck .

NBTC arrived on Thursday with 5 people, and the 3bb technician.

They did tests all afternoon, and however they seemed to be on my side, I noticed that they started to believe in the 3bb technician that the browser speed tests gave a wrong result.

When I started to get a bit agitated, and showed the browser speed tests in this thread all showing Gb results, and started questioning why the 3BB technician never sent them the test he did on 5 May, the room got very quiet and they changed mind again.

FYI all those tests he did on 5 May were lower than the acceptable speed.

NBTC said we were not here that day, and my extensive video evidence was not acceptable, but they started to do their own tests in the same way the 3BB technician did his tests on 5 May.

They did 10 download tests and 10 upload tests, and found that all the download tests were below acceptable.

They had an average download of 614 Mbps, and wrote on their report, which was signed by me and the technician, that 100% of the download tests were below the acceptable level.

Just to give you an idea about the unreliability of speed tests.

Using the Netflix test fast.com, they reached download speeds of 2.4 Gbps. Really???

7 hours ago, Susco said:

NBTC arrived on Thursday with 5 people, and the 3bb technician.

They did tests all afternoon, and however they seemed to be on my side, I noticed that they started to believe in the 3bb technician that the browser speed tests gave a wrong result.

When I started to get a bit agitated, and showed the browser speed tests in this thread all showing Gb results, and started questioning why the 3BB technician never sent them the test he did on 5 May, the room got very quiet and they changed mind again.

I'm surprised the NBTC people were being swayed to believing the browser speed test gave a wrong result.  I say that because at least one of the NBTC people should have been a technical type that would know whether browser tests were accurate or not....would have quickly agreed with or disagreed with the 3BB tech...would have been a short and sweet discussion of just a few seconds. 

But since the NBTC did seem to being going over to the dark side (i.e, the 3BB side) before being pulled back by you, that would give me cause for concern as to their knowledge on the subject.  However, since they documented 10 of 10 download speed tests were not acceptable that's a good thing....the most important thing....the results put on paper and signed by all.

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm surprised the NBTC people were being swayed to believing the browser speed test gave a wrong result.  I say that because at least one of the NBTC people should have been a technical type that would know whether browser tests were accurate or not

Only 1 of the 5 was a technician, another one spoke decent English and was who I had communicated with, and a third one was the driver of the minivan. The other two I have no idea why they were there.

What swayed him to believe the 3BB technician is probably that the browser tests seemed to work to satisfactory on that day. I had run tests the evening before, and again an hour before they arrived, and noticed a significant improvement on D-day.

I also told this to the NBTC guy right away as he stepped out of the van.

What the 3BB technician has told them in Thai, I could not understand of course.

So at the end of the day, they resorted to downloading large files from the 3BB server with FileZilla, which also was how they had tested on 5 May.

The fact that with the Netflix test they realized 2.4 Ghz download, which happened after the NBTC guys had left, makes it quite obvious to me that an ISP is able to manipulate those tests.

I have posted earlier in this thread a link to an article, where speedtest.net accused a UK ISP of manipulating the tests, by using a specific port.

Another thing we found out that day is regarding the testmy.net speeds to Europe.

When connected by Cat5e to the 1Gb port of the router, we get a speed of 10 Mbps. Tested on 2 different routers and 2 PC's.

When connected through the 100 Mb switch, get ~ 25 Mbps. When connected either 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi get easily 40 Mbps.

It is not testmy.net related, as we did tests to London with speedtest.net with similar results.

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1