how do you handle staying home

opalred

Just trying to keep up with the daily unfoldings of the CV pandemic is almost a full-time job...

What's happening in Thailand locally?  What's happening in the home country? What will the new day bring in terms of the latest policy/restrictions being imposed by the Thai government. A call today by minor coalition parties for a national curfew...

We live in interesting times, to say the least.

• Like 2

As sad as it sounds I'm looking forwards to organising my wardrobes, putting everything back where it should be (living life on the limit, I know) and also picking up the guitar again. I'll now wash the car myself, cook a bit more, try and finish one of those 3d jigsaw/Lego brick things that accidentally got knocked over a few weeks ago. Might get the old top gear series out or Attenborough's back catalogue on TV.

• Like 1

Im in kuala lumpur. We are not allowed out unless essential services. Like to go for a hike with the gf but thats not allowed. Basically we are in full lockdown.

I only weigh 70kg so using the time to eat what i can and do nothing but movies. Hope I can get above 75kg by end of the 2 weeks.

Think the gf has had enough now though. She put a table and chair in the open garage at front of the house and said its my new bar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Can you give us an example Bill?

Here are 3 to be going on with.

Why not buy a guitar and learn how to play. My BIL gave our son a guitar a while ago and he is pretty good now. He has 3 acoustic, 1 electric guitar and a key board as well. 

As for myself I have all the musical manual dexterity of a fumble fingered hippopotamus combined with the highest sing quality of a crocodile.

https://learnthaifromawhiteguy.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP97zs893qBY1LiYdtGG29k0jageePJ7DnfcFKX0gjlYpDRszntPl-MaAhk4EALw_wcB

https://www.udemy.com/course/read-thai-in-2-weeks/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=udemyads&utm_campaign=DSA_Catchall_la.EN_cc.ROW&utm_content=deal4584&utm_term=_._ag_88010211481_._ad_398022934994_._kw__._de_c_._dm__._pl__._ti_dsa-392130681248_._li_9047119_._pd__._&matchtype=b&gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP8KuBj-PxcduD3UG7DkUB9HwfWTE66KUZp5Oeac60bjKC-OEB2XvDQaAtNhEALw_wcB

Or try this link for quite a few useful online courses from the UK. I used them a few times and a lot of their courses are fun and useful.

https://www.futurelearn.com/?utm_source=RakutenMarketing&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=3343141:WA+Agency&utm_content=10:1&utm_term=USNetwork&ranMID=44015&ranEAID=VW0I2QEkbtc&ranSiteID=VW0I2QEkbtc-qNsI2DVu3LvZhfbTXPQCjw

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Here are 3 to be going on with.

Why not buy a guitar and learn how to play. My BIL gave our son a guitar a while ago and he is pretty good now. He has 3 acoustic, 1 electric guitar and a key board as well. 

As for myself I have all the musical manual dexterity of a fumble fingered hippopotamus combined with the highest sing quality of a crocodile.

https://learnthaifromawhiteguy.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP97zs893qBY1LiYdtGG29k0jageePJ7DnfcFKX0gjlYpDRszntPl-MaAhk4EALw_wcB

https://www.udemy.com/course/read-thai-in-2-weeks/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=udemyads&utm_campaign=DSA_Catchall_la.EN_cc.ROW&utm_content=deal4584&utm_term=_._ag_88010211481_._ad_398022934994_._kw__._de_c_._dm__._pl__._ti_dsa-392130681248_._li_9047119_._pd__._&matchtype=b&gclid=Cj0KCQjw09HzBRDrARIsAG60GP8KuBj-PxcduD3UG7DkUB9HwfWTE66KUZp5Oeac60bjKC-OEB2XvDQaAtNhEALw_wcB

Or try this link for quite a few useful online courses from the UK. I used them a few times and a lot of their courses are fun and useful.

https://www.futurelearn.com/?utm_source=RakutenMarketing&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=3343141:WA+Agency&utm_content=10:1&utm_term=USNetwork&ranMID=44015&ranEAID=VW0I2QEkbtc&ranSiteID=VW0I2QEkbtc-qNsI2DVu3LvZhfbTXPQCjw

I can already play accoustic guitar Bill, and played the bass and keyboards professionally right up until I came to stay in Thailand, but I will look into these other links, thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I can already play accoustic guitar Bill, and played the bass and keyboards professionally right up until I came to stay in Thailand, but I will look into these other links, thanks.

Future Learn is a good website and offers many online courses from quite a few UK universities.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 7:00 PM, billd766 said:

I have an Ebook library that I am editing. I am also writing the story of my life (but in fits and starts).

I make bread and biscuits. Tomorrow hopefully I will make some puff pastry and if that works I will make some beef pies.

To the OP. Go onto the internet and find something that interests you and do it.

Learn to read, write and speak Thai. Find online crosswords to do. There are so many things I want too do at 75 years old that there are not enough hours in the day to do them all.

If you want to do something then do it. If you want to sit at home and complain that you have nothing to do, then please do so, but don't bother to tell us all.

Absolutely Spot-On advice :clap2:

On 3/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Reading would be my first preference. However, because our four year old grandson lives with us, keeping him entertained takes up about ninety percent of our waking hours.

and, the computer is an incredible avenue of suggestions that I've used often to find entertainment for the young-uns :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just now, Dap said:

and, the computer is an incredible avenue of suggestions that I've used often to find entertainment for the young-uns :biggrin:

including reading my charges to sleep ????

• Like 1

Just now, Dap said:

Just now, Dap said:

or is that ... boring them to sleep ????

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, opalred said:

i have been staying home as advised for older people

i have watched every tv program/i am to old to play hid the sausage and hid and sneak with the wife

what next?

Bit of gardening, read a book, listen to music, watch a movie or TV series, bake some bread/cakes.

Play street badminton/football with the kids, drink alcohol, take drugs, play CoD online Xbox/Pc.

Edited by BritManToo

You're kidding right? Every heard of these things that are stacks of paper with harder cardboard covers on the outside. The paper inside has writing on it? They are called books!

You could spend more time on Thai visa. What with all the conjecture, nonsense, members who fancy themselves much funnier and smarter then they actually are ...  it will utterly drive you mad to the extent that you will just go into a coma and nothing will matter anyway.

Edited by likerdup1

I've been reading with interest about people having difficulties staying at home. I find that strange, having stayed at home since 2001 (with the exception of a 2.5 years of working in BKK). Maybe they should add some feng shui or at least a fridge full of cold beers?

I live here in the middle of dairy country and have an abundance of fresh milk (unpasteurized straight from the cow).  It is a 40km to Makro to get cheese or sour cream which the wife and I both love on occasion. Don't know how hard it is to make so going to start researching, never know. Maybe to hard to do or need specialized equipment which could not be obtained on lockdown, maybe Lazada?  If anyone does make either here in Thailand please PM me and would love to know how to get started.  A Scandinavian man who lived nearby used to make some wonderful cheese but he passed a few years ago. Should have asked to be his apprentice.

Scrabble has been mentioned.

I downloaded the identical game "Cross Words" - and it doesn't even need a connection once downloaded. Works well on a tablet.

Play against the machine (you don't need a partner) - and you can set the machine's level: so you always win (or lose).

Not an all-day activity, but can fill in idle hours here and there.

Warning: excessive use can bring on the need for a nap.

but you don't have to stay at home.  just stay 2 meters from everyone.  I went biking today on my normal roads.  maybe i saw a few people in 90 minutes on some very, very rural roads.  i do it at noon, very hot.  so i come home, eat, sleep, and ......

OR I go to the track.  nobody.  noon. super hot.  i do intervals around the track for 45 minutes.  exhausted.  walk 3 minutes home.