Sixteen-day ban on tourists proposed

webfact

Sixteen-day ban on tourists proposed

By The Nation

800_795d55a5585b144.jpg?v=1584689409

Mongkolkit Suksintharanon

Government coalition parties Thai Civilised, Thai People Justice and Tairaktham will ask Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to issue an emergency decree about the Covid-19 crisis.

Mongkolkit Suksintharanon, leader of the Thai Civilized Party, said on Friday (March 20) the aim would be to empower the Army and national police to impose a 16-day general curfew from Saturday through April 4.

People who might infect others would be placed in mandatory quarantine along with immediate family members and no foreign visitors would be allowed into Thailand, he said.

Mongkolkit would also like the government to underwrite a move by financial institutions to postpone all loan repayments for six months and to compensate people for income lost during the outbreak.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384506

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-20
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:
13 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I have a feeling tourism in Thailand is about to end dramatically. There is absolutely no chance that any insurance company around the world is going to issue a $100,000 insurance policy that specifically covers the Corona virus and this is what the Thai government is demanding for every tourist entering g the Country on top of this everyone including Thais need a medical letter issued no longer than 72 hours prior to flying stating you are free of the virus I don’t know of any other country in the world that is demanding these draconian measures even those who have to do border runs won’t be able to re enter Thailand due to these demands. 

It won't recover either if the  infection becomes cyclical. There is no demonstrable long term immunity following infection. One country which has contained the infections and  carefully managed its response is Vietnam. Prudent tourists will go there instead.

IF the numbers are to be believed !!...  I believe the Vietnam numbers about as much as I believe the Thai numbers !!

The long term immunity is an interesting point: In delaying the spread the hope would be that those who have developed immunity can assist with the ‘new’ cases when the virus re-cycles (i.e. through seasonal weather variation, or once people begin travelling freely again and there are new outbreaks). 

IF there is no natural immunity (as there is with colds, influenza etc) then this becomes a major issue until vaccines are created.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Common sense?  A CURFEW on TOURISTS. Can they, and only they catch the virus at night time?

Where do you read a curfew on tourist?

"Mongkolkit Suksintharanon, leader of the Thai Civilized Party, said on Friday (March 20) the aim would be to empower the Army and national police to impose a 16-day general curfew from Saturday through April 4."

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Common sense?  A CURFEW on TOURISTS. Can they, and only they catch the virus at night time?

Where is the Curfew on Tourists ?????...   is there even a Curfew in Thailand at all at the moment. 

There was a proposal of a ‘general curfew’ on all - extreme but perhaps necessary. 

At the moment there is a closure on bars, sports and gym facilties and public areas where people congregate. I’ve not heard of this Curfew on Tourists.

Again, measures to close public areas for the time being are 'common sense'.

Are you applying 'common sense' when exaggerating, sensationalising and spreadingthe information there is a ‘Curfew on Tourists’  ??

Edited by richard_smith237

49 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Thais need a medical letter issued no longer than 72 hours prior to flying stating you are free of the virus

Thais only need a Fit to Fly letter from the Embassy / Consulate. Only foreigners need a letter " free from corvid 19 "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

It's not tourists that are the problem, although there are still some in Pattaya that are selfishly ignoring the edict to stay home and some bars and venues are still open.

I am staying away from Thais.

The masks don't fool me. They are the high risk group IMO, having witnessed their lack of personal hygiene after toilet activities, lack of social distancing, communal eating habits and reliance on ineffective totems such as masks and disinfecting roads. 

Yeh me too, if their driving skills (or lack of them) transfer into their virus prevention then they are doomed, doomed I tell ya

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Haha 2

People are actually able to obtain the covid certificate and insurance before they fly ?

Thoght that requirement would have put the kabosh on any tourists coming !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

STILL pouring in

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

I know two young guys who have just arrived from London.

No insurance and no medical papers

Not questioned at all at arrivals

They are straight off to the bars (which there are still some still open) to get drunk and shâg various women. 

• Confused 2