Smokers and Covid-19: Regular cigarette and e-cigarette users face 5,000 fine for lighting up in public

rooster59

11 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

If someone would like to develop a habit that would irritate others, reduce the longevity of others, let alone reducing their own life be some 10 years or so, I would hope that yes, someone would come and outlaw such a habit or rights...

Caffeine, fat, sugar, alcohol and some other things including too much sleep can be bad for your health do you want a govt or anyone outlawing these? I'm a non smoker 

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

If someone would like to develop a habit that would irritate others, reduce the longevity of others, let alone reducing their own life be some 10 years or so, I would hope that yes, someone would come and outlaw such a habit or rights...

Like driving a vehicle?

Parents 87 and 86, still each on their own, smokers their entire adult lives. Like me, happy with life, but don't think they'd care if they didn't live well into their 90's.

What's this damn fascination with people wanting to live forever? I just don't get it; must be a narcissistic thing.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, frantick said:

Someone stated it nicely in a previous thread, put 100 smokers in a room for an hour with a non-smoker and everyone comes out alive. Put 100 non-smokers in a room for an hour with a running vehicle, and no one comes out alive. But, choose what you wish to worry about.

I'm an outdoor smoker. I don't throw butts on the ground and only smoke in outdoor bars with visible ashtrays. Now if a non-smoker sits beside me am I supposed to stop?

I'd like to believe bars offering  smoking prefer those tolerant types of personalities. Open your own non-smoking bar/restaurant.

Be careful what rights you wish to be outlawed, they'll come for your rights next.

Fair points. The Smoking in outdoor restaurants / bars is a grey area though. 

If you are smoking at an outdoor bar with an ashtray and a non-smoker sits near you, he doesn’t really have a right to complain. 

If I am sat at an outdoor restaurant I don’t want anyone near me smoking. If I am sat at an outdoor bar and someone comes outside, sits near me and start smoking I am not impressed but will tolerate it, if my child is with me I will not tolerate it and ask the person if they can smoke down-wind. 

In the past I’ve been in a restaurant and a woman next to me looked at us (my Wife and I) looked at our son in the pushchair next to our table (next to her) and lit up anyway. I wasn’t happy and complained to her, she had no idea that she was doing wrong - her argument that she was outside and it was up to me to tolerate smokers if I want to sit outside (in a restaurant) did not sit well with me. 

The issue with all of these issues are that many people; in this case smokers) are very polite and considerate of others, while a small percentage at the end of the spectrum don’t care. On the other hand we have non-smokers who are tolerant, usually based on their surroundings, and then a few ad the end of the spectrum who are completely intolerant and cry and get upset at the slightest whiff of smoke. 99% people sit in the happy medium in the middle without issues - its only the extremes which draw attention and discussion. 

Now.. back to people smoking in the street or while walking down the street. It doesn’t really happen very much, I can’t remember the last time I even noticed someone smoking in the street. Thus, for a balanced mind not looking to find outrage at every juncture in life this is simply a non-issue. That said, I still agree with the ban of smoking in public in exactly the same way I believe all antisocial behaviour in public should be banned and dealt with (and this means drunks making a nuisance of themselves - which again, really isn’t that much).