Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

5 hours ago, r72a said:

I arrived on 30 day stamp at CM airport. I'm a UK citizen. I know I can extend for another 30 days so I won't need a letter for that extension, but I will for the next one right?

If I understand your post correctly, you intended from the outset to stay in Thailand longer than 60 days. In my opinion, you therefore acted irresponsibly by travelling to Thailand without a visa, thereby adding to the workload of the immigration office and to the long queue of applicants for extension.

At any rate, you were supposed to have a confirmed flight out of Thailand for your check-in for your flight. Unless that onward flight is cancelled or delayed to a date beyond the expiration date of your current permission to stay, you have no emergency and therefore the immigration office may justifiably deny you the 30-day extension under clause 2.28 of the Police Order regarding extensions even if your embassy gives you the emergency certification, unless there is another valid reason why you are unable to take that flight.

2 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

if anyone sees it let me know .. the british embassy site itself only mentions tourist visas .. is  it worth emailing them?

Yes, with an explanation with supporting documents of what your emergency is, for example the cancellation of your flight or its postponement to a date later than the expiration date of your current permission to stay.

2 hours ago, Zikomat said:

We are supposed to leave the country. 

The latest travel advisory of the British embassy urges tourists to return home as quickly as possible.

The US embassy advises to avoid any non-essential travel, without specifying whether a flight home would count as non-essential travel.

Hi all any info would be appreciated,just got back from immigration jomtien this afternoon, tried to extend my wife's 30 day entry,my wife is a Lao's citizen we were told that Lao's citizens cannot extend a 30day entry.Is this fact or is it total BS 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Yes, with an explanation with supporting documents of what your emergency is, for example the cancellation of your flight or its postponement to a date later than the expiration date of your current permission to stay.

I disagree.  @jaffas21, if you look at the website it mentions visas, then specifically mentions tourist visas in reference to first extension.  

Also, the website specifically changed the wording from requiring evidence of cancelled flights to not needing it.  Clearly an indication that they are offering this service to people that have not had cancelled flights.

COVID-19 Visa Extension Applications – Support Letter

The British Embassy can issue a letter to support applications to extend existing visas. Those holding a tourist visa should first apply for a 30-day extension at an Immigration Office.

To apply, email [email protected] with evidence of:

1. Copy of biodata page of passport 
  2. Entry stamp
  3. Visa stamp/sticker with expiry date 
Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NamH2O said:

Hi all any info would be appreciated,just got back from immigration jomtien this afternoon, tried to extend my wife's 30 day entry,my wife is a Lao's citizen we were told that Lao's citizens cannot extend a 30day entry.Is this fact or is it total BS 

They cannot get a 30 day extension of their 30 day visa exempt entry since it under a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

She could get one with a letter from the Lao embassy requesting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

The latest travel advisory of the British embassy urges tourists to return home as quickly as possible.

The US embassy advises to avoid any non-essential travel, without specifying whether a flight home would count as non-essential travel.

It's funny in my personal letter to Thai immigration for an emergency extension they advised both and it's not just non-essential, it's all. : "we wish to refer to the Global Level 4 Health Advisory issued by the Department of State on March 19, 2020 which advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel." and later "who have now been advised to either arrange for immediate return to the United States or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period."

10 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:
10 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

There was a report today in another thread of an American using the emailed letter from the U.S. Embassy to successfully get an extension of a B visa at BKK CW Immigration:

Yes another member also did so Bangkokboy888

I started the post referenced above and if you look at my story and Bangkokboy888, it is the same in that our visas were extended until April 22nd. However, my visa wasn't expiring until April 7th. And I had not been declined for an extension at any point. As noted in my post, the runner/caller said I couldn't get the full 30 days from my visa expiration was because "the chief wasn't there"(I have no clue what that meant), but..she did tell me to come back around April 22 to extend it more (read my post for more details).  So no matter what crazy math I do with my visa dates- I dont get any magic numbers of 30 or 7 or any others- for some unknown reason, they chose to extend them until April 22 ( at least today, March 25th it seems)

3 minutes ago, BigJ said:

Someone on a facebook group got the same deal yesterday. Tourist visa exempt. 2nd extension, with letter. She got April 21.  That's basically 28 days.  What does your stamp say?  She posted hers, and it was NOT a 30-day extension. It was a permission to stay under consideration. Return on the 21st to find out the result.  So she has to come back on the 21st.

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Someone on a facebook group got the same deal yesterday. Tourist visa exempt. 2nd extension, with letter. She got April 21.  That's basically 28 days.  What does your stamp say?  She posted hers, and it was NOT a 30-day extension. It was a permission to stay under consideration. Return on the 21st to find out the result.  So she has to come back on the 21st.

@bangkokboy888, could you let us know what it says in your stamp please?  Was it permission to stay?

@audaciousnomad, would you be able to share a picture of the stamp here please?

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

@bangkokboy888, could you let us know what it says in your stamp please?  Was it permission to stay?

@audaciousnomad, would you be able to share a picture of the stamp here please?

@audaciousnomad is correct. Nice catch.  I just looked at the stamp (I was only concerned with the dates before) and yes it does say "Application of stay is under consideration, Applicant must contact again in person on (then stamp showing April 22, 2020) so it would appear a 28 day non extension/extension is what it is.  

• Like 2

Who can help me. My current situation is as follows:
My stay ends on April 10th, 2020. My non-immigration visa "O" expired in mid-January. Got 90 days before. Flight was planned for April 6, 2020, but airline canceled the flight, rebooked for April 25, 2020. I was already looking forward to the memorandum of March 18. to get an extension. Visited immigration to Ubon Ratchathani today, but the memorandum was not known. I received the recommendation to do a border run to Laos and to return with a normal tourist entry confirmation (Visa on Arrival / Visa Exemption) for 30 days. In the meantime, all borders to Thailand are closed, which means that I could not enter Thailand after a border run.  I understand the current situation like this.

It must be possible without overstay until April 25th. to be able to stay? I look forward to an answer with maybe a solution. Thank you very much.

Detty from Ubon Ratchathani 

I am a Canadian who is here on a METV which expired start of March. I used my last 30 day extension to allow me to stay until April 3rd. I have no intention to go home at the moment so I got the letter from my embassy on Monday explain my reasons for staying in Thailand. Yesterday on Tuesday March 24, I went to CM IO and got the extension without any problem at all They didn't even ask me any questions, just read my letter and checked my paperwork. My last extension was good until April 3rd and and I expected to be good until May 1st with this new 30 day but they only gave me until April 22nd like the other people who are reporting here. The stamp is also different than the usual extension, it doesn't say that I need to depart Thailand but rather that I need to return to immigration on April 22nd. 

Also I must say that Chiang Mai immigration was very organized and they moved a lot of the services outside, the whole process was painless and very quick. Make sure you come prepared with the required documents and you should be fine. I did see some people get refused in front of me but they did not have the embassy letters. 

4 minutes ago, MrBiker said:

I am a Canadian who is here on a METV which expired start of March. I used my last 30 day extension to allow me to stay until April 3rd. I have no intention to go home at the moment so I got the letter from my embassy on Monday explain my reasons for staying in Thailand. Yesterday on Tuesday March 24, I went to CM IO and got the extension without any problem at all They didn't even ask me any questions, just read my letter and checked my paperwork. My last extension was good until April 3rd and and I expected to be good until May 1st with this new 30 day but they only gave me until April 22nd like the other people who are reporting here. The stamp is also different than the usual extension, it doesn't say that I need to depart Thailand but rather that I need to return to immigration on April 22nd. 

Also I must say that Chiang Mai immigration was very organized and they moved a lot of the services outside, the whole process was painless and very quick. Make sure you come prepared with the required documents and you should be fine. I did see some people get refused in front of me but they did not have the embassy letters. 

There seems to be some significance to this 22-April date. That is now THREE people who have posted, and CM and BK have both issued these.  I wonder if there is something coming on that date that they are planning for, and therefore are deferring everyone to that date, hence no 30-days, just consideration until April 22.  If we can locate more people receiving 22-April consideration over the next few days....that probably means something?

Edited by audaciousnomad

4 minutes ago, MrBiker said:

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.19.07 PM.png

Okay, that mystery is solved.  And I agree with Tyler's comment in the @audaciousnomad photo.  I (and you reading this) have to rely on my feelings, but the inference I got from the woman who informed me about coming back to immigration was that it was more of a formality and there wasn't a question of if they will extend my visa again, that it was a done deal and I just needed my receipt of 1900 baht to present when I returned.  But the question still remains how long they will extend it when I go back.  

• Like 1

Sorry to be dumb but can you guys who have successfully obtained the 30 day extension just clarify what paperwork you had other than the mythical LETTER! 

Be grateful if you could as I only have one shot left at this, failure and the overstay meter begins clicking. 

16 minutes ago, MrBiker said:

Hey, 

I'm Canadian as well and in same exact situation (not wanting to head back) ... I'm curious how did you get that letter, I've emailed and called them, and I'm waiting on a response still. My tourist visa ends April 16th and has already been extended. 

Thanks, 

Just now, UdonRoy said:

Sorry to be dumb but can you guys who have successfully obtained the 30 day extension just clarify what paperwork you had other than the mythical LETTER! 

Be grateful if you could as I only have one shot left at this, failure and the overstay meter begins clicking. 

The letter, passport, 2 photos, the visa extension form, the new form about over staying. Everything needed to be photocopied before giving it to them. Originals and copies had to be given to immigration so come prepared with extra copies of everything. I had to run to photo copy everything and luckily they let me skip the line the second time. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

Hey, 

I'm Canadian as well and in same exact situation (not wanting to head back) ... I'm curious how did you get that letter, I've emailed and called them, and I'm waiting on a response still. My tourist visa ends April 16th and has already been extended. 

Thanks, 

I got them on the phone on Friday and explained my situation. Then I came in on Monday and they notarized my request to extend my visa. There were a few other Canadian's there and they all got the letters as well. You write the request yourself and they stamp it for you with their seal. 

Good luck. 

28 minutes ago, Detty said:

Who can help me. My current situation is as follows:
My stay ends on April 10th, 2020. My non-immigration visa "O" expired in mid-January. Got 90 days before. Flight was planned for April 6, 2020, but airline canceled the flight, rebooked for April 25, 2020. I was already looking forward to the memorandum of March 18. to get an extension. Visited immigration to Ubon Ratchathani today, but the memorandum was not known. I received the recommendation to do a border run to Laos and to return with a normal tourist entry confirmation (Visa on Arrival / Visa Exemption) for 30 days. In the meantime, all borders to Thailand are closed, which means that I could not enter Thailand after a border run.  I understand the current situation like this.

It must be possible without overstay until April 25th. to be able to stay? I look forward to an answer with maybe a solution. Thank you very much.

Detty from Ubon Ratchathani 

Do you have the letter from your embassy certifying that you have an emergency.

Your immigration official official does not even need the Memorandum. You apply for a 30-day extension of stay under clause 2.28 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014) with the embassy letter and and documents proving your necessity, which in your case are the information from your airline about the cancellation of your flight on 6 April and the re-booking for 25 April.

11 minutes ago, UdonRoy said:

I had the personlized emailed letter from the US Embassy and the usual signed photocopies of my biodata page, my entry stamp page, my visa page,  my TM 6 page and a photo of myself and 1900 baht.    And I also had to fill out a TM 7 form along with 2 other (shorter) forms saying I understood the penalties of overstay and some other similar form. Not to nitpick, but  I guess it was more of a 28 day non-extension/extension as we discussed above rather than a 30 day extension (but it works for me for now).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrBiker said:

I called Canadian Embassy in Bangkok, they do not give a letter. I also emailed both Canadian embassy (BKK and CM), CM told me they only provide Affidavit, BKK told me again no letter. Every Canadian that ive spoke to have same story as me. I went to Khon Kaen immigration 2 days ago... every Canadian was denied because no letter... seem like most countries give letter but no Canada. We were all mad because we all got same answer from Canadian embassy. Can you PM me ur letter? I will need that as proof to show to CM Canadian embassy. You can blur sensitive info. I want to fly to CM today to get this finally over with. My first 30 days extension finish March 28.
Thx you!

Edited by Tomate
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BigJ said:

I had the personlized emailed letter from the US Embassy and the usual signed photocopies of my biodata page, my entry stamp page, my visa page,  my TM 6 page and a photo of myself and 1900 baht.    And I also had to fill out a TM 7 form along with 2 other (shorter) forms saying I understood the penalties of overstay and some other similar form. Not to nitpick, but  I guess it was more of a 28 day non-extension/extension as we discussed above rather than a 30 day extension (but it works for me for now).  

That's good to hear, BigJ.

As we haven't seen the US embassy's new, personalised letter yet I should be grateful if posted a copy of it here, with your personal data (name, passport number, etc) obscured.