Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

51 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This document is not an order, but more a kind of an advisory.

I would call it a directive by way of a official memorandum. Normally immigration follows them as an order from the head of immigration.

51 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Points 1-2: She basically agrees with my arguments and that this document might be confusing, but the official rules didn't change, a tourist visa extension is still limited to one and people with an embassy letter can get extensions based on this, no matter the type of visa.

For number 1 clause 2.4 does not really say only one can be done. It just states no more than 30 day but it is enforced as only one.

"2.4 In the case of tourism purposes:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed.
The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for a visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by the Ministry of Interior.
(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau."

I need a visa waiver extension for my family as we will be unable to depart for an unknown period (our situation is complicated -- US husband, British wife, dual citizen child - not sure we can easily enter any country and have nowhere else to stay).  We were in the process of relocating to Philippines but delayed because of full Manila lockdown and canceled flights.  We just gave up our non-O extension in Thailand with intention of moving - awful timing and big mistake in retrospect.

Anyway, I have never done a visa waiver extension. Will I need to drag my entire family into that virus-infested mess at Chaengwattana or am I allowed to do the extension for all of us?  Will I need proof of onward flight and/or TM30? (we are staying in a condo rental that we also had to extend, have not done a TM30 since a recent Manila trip).

Ubonjoe or anyone? TIA

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, eppic said:

I need a visa waiver extension for my family as we will be unable to depart for an unknown period (our situation is complicated -- US husband, British wife, dual citizen child - not sure we can easily enter any country and have nowhere else to stay).  We were in the process of relocating to Philippines but delayed because of full Manila lockdown and canceled flights.  We just gave up our non-O extension in Thailand with intention of moving - awful timing and big mistake in retrospect.

Anyway, I have never done a visa waiver extension. Will I need to drag my entire family into that virus-infested mess at Chaengwattana or am I allowed to do the extension for all of us?  Will I need proof of onward flight and/or TM30? (we are staying in a condo rental that we also had to extend, have not done a TM30 since a recent Manila trip).

Ubonjoe or anyone? TIA

I wish you luck. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:19 PM, elviajero said:

Yes.

You need to go with your wife to the immigration office. Requirements vary between offices, but the most common documents requested are;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • They will almost certainly want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them, which should already be filed with immigration. If it's not you will be able to submit with the application but might get fined 800/1,600 THB for late filing.

The best option is to ask the local office of a list of what they want before applying.

Thanks. TM 30 done when I arrived. I will though need to do a 90 day report. The key date for me is 10 April. Wondering if soon all government offices will be closed! Should I, can I, do this in the next day or two? 

4 hours ago, eppic said:

Ubonjoe or anyone? TIA

My experience getting a visa waiver extension was straightforward. I got there early with my wife and young son (to avoid traffic on the way, as well as to get an early number), but when I lined up to get a number, they would not give me one because they said those with young children are first to go in at 8:30. (Cool, but best to wait by the door a few minutes before--around 8:15.) A very pleasant surprise, indeed. Once they let you inside (before those with numbers go in), you walk through the first room to the next and get your number at the desk. Others have posted about the visa waiver exemption extension process in detail, but I never saw the "those with children" go first info posted. I realize this does not help avoid the virus, but being among the first in, can mean you're one of the first out (if you did your homework and filled out your forms correctly in advance, etc.--They have a team of helpers in front of the extension section who screen and review your application forms to make sure they are complete, and that you have all the necessary photocopies, pics, etc.). I was not asked about the TM30 or onward tickets. Hope it works out well for you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smooth said:

My experience getting a visa waiver extension was straightforward. I got there early with my wife and young son (to avoid traffic on the way, as well as to get an early number), but when I lined up to get a number, they would not give me one because they said those with young children are first to go in at 8:30. (Cool, but best to wait by the door a few minutes before--around 8:15.) A very pleasant surprise, indeed. Once they let you inside (before those with numbers go in), you walk through the first room to the next and get your number at the desk. Others have posted about the visa waiver exemption extension process in detail, but I never saw the "those with children" go first info posted. I realize this does not help avoid the virus, but being among the first in, can mean you're one of the first out (if you did your homework and filled out your forms correctly in advance, etc.--They have a team of helpers in front of the extension section who screen and review your application forms to make sure they are complete, and that you have all the necessary photocopies, pics, etc.). I was not asked about the TM30 or onward tickets. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks a lot. We have a four-year-old boy and were hoping to avoid the chaos.  So it sounds like the child and spouse are required to come in person?

May I ask was this a recent experience? I took my son with my on previous occasions for non-O extensions but had no idea we could have had expedited entry (perhaps this is a new thing?)

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thanks. TM 30 done when I arrived. I will though need to do a 90 day report. The key date for me is 10 April. Wondering if soon all government offices will be closed! Should I, can I, do this in the next day or two? 

It's worth a try. There are no set rules. It's entirely up to the local office how early they process an application. 

3 hours ago, UdonRoy said:

I have just had a conversation with a policeman of a reasonably high rank. He does not believe immigration offices will be closed on the 26th!!!!

My wife had to kick me under the table as my manner was becoming a little agitated but I was trying to ask him how they can tell everyone to stay at home but are forcing hundreds of tourists and expats to congregate in small immigration offices? 

He had no answer. 

We are all doomed I tell ya, all doomed! 

Because they can‘t do anything! It all comes down to a handful of ppl who have to power to change it. Had a similar conversation with a police officer who is a good friend of my gf. And he is the highest ranked police officer in an amphoe north of BKK. He said in case of emergency I wouldn’t need that embassy letter, as he could arrange it with the local immigration office. In regard to the rest he has zero power to do anything . That’s LOS....strict hierarchy with just very few people having the real power to change things/rules.

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Because they can‘t do anything! It all comes down to a handful of ppl who have to power to change it. Had a similar conversation with a police officer who is a good friend of my gf. And he is the highest ranked police officer in an amphoe north of BKK. He said in case of emergency I wouldn’t need that embassy letter, as he could arrange it with the local immigration office. In regard to the rest he has zero power to do anything . That’s LOS....strict hierarchy with just very few people having the real power to change things/rules.

I disagree . All Thai immigration offices were given instruction (from above) to give and allow 30 day visa  extensions to all applicants .

Local offices have been ignoring this instruction and refusing many/all applications 

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I disagree . All Thai immigration offices were given instruction (from above) to give and allow 30 day visa  extensions to all applicants .

Local offices have been ignoring this instruction and refusing many/all applications 

Care to speculate on why they would ignore the directive? It makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

All the numerous reports of Thai immigration rejecting extensions even with letters from embassys 

Yes, but why? Their own higher up issued a letter that they ought to grant these extensions. So why are they ignoring his directions?  Internal politics?

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

...All Thai immigration offices were given instruction (from above) to give and allow 30 day visa  extensions to all applicants...

Your sentence is incomplete. It should be "...to all applicants who meet the criteria and requirements under section 2.4 or 2.28 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014). If an applicant cannot me the full qualifications, the immigration office shall deal with the application in accordance with paragraph 5 of the Police Order.

In other words, the extensions are not there simply for the asking. The extension under clause 2.28 is limited to cases of necessity.

The Memorandum 0029.161/W 916 does not create a new type of extension. It summarises, for the benefit of the immigration officials, the types of extensions that are available to foreigners under the Police Order to remain in Thailand legally under the immigration law, ie not to go on overstay if events due the Covid-19 situation prevents them from leaving the country prior to the expiration of of their current permission to stay.

For a full understanding of the impact of the Memorandum it is essential to read it in conjunction with the parts of the Police Order referenced in the Memorandum.

Guys to just clarify they are not ignoring the directive. Just their interpretation requires a letter from embassy WITH NAME OF INDIVIDUAL previously letters were only generic with no names. 

this applies to everyone not just Americans. Of course we are trying to be all inclusive. 

at CW 630 and multiple lines to get into building 

9679DCAB-6A02-4A72-9D68-8F26F88BAF41.jpeg

2 hours ago, bangkokboy888 said:

Guys to just clarify they are not ignoring the directive. Just their interpretation requires a letter from embassy WITH NAME OF INDIVIDUAL previously letters were only generic with no names. 

this applies to everyone not just Americans. Of course we are trying to be all inclusive. 

What the hell??? That's at 6:30am in the morning??? My god that's absolutely insane that there's multiple lines out the door. Usually it's just a relatively small line of people queuing up inside to get a queue number to be the 1st ones in the immigration door to get a queue number for their department.

American embassy originally sent me the same form letter. I replied with my name,passport number and date of birth and they sent me a form with that on it. [email protected]     I don't think I'll need it as I have a non o marriage visa,live here, and have a child here,so I just need to hope immigration stays open until I go by April 6th

Edited by fredwiggy
Addition

16 minutes ago, r72a said:

I arrived on 30 day stamp at CM airport. I'm a UK citizen. I know I can extend for another 30 days so I won't need a letter for that extension, but I will for the next one right?

Correct. However note that if by the time you need your second extension, if flights etc have been relaxed then they may stop providing "second extensions"

• Like 2

just been to IM here in Prachuap to extend visa.been told the following.where can I get this letter from, can then email it to me and I print it out.thanks 

you require letter from British embassy or consulate requesting that the Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau allow the foreigner to stay in the country longer. It must name the foreigner and it must have the sentence that the foreigner ‘is unable to travel due to the COVID-19 coronvirus situation.’ It must be an actual letter, hand over with a copy of their passport at the Immigration.Then I should 

4 minutes ago, daveyboy69 said:

just been to IM here in Prachuap to extend visa.been told the following.where can I get this letter from, can then email it to me and I print it out.thanks 

you require letter from British embassy or consulate requesting that the Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau allow the foreigner to stay in the country longer. It must name the foreigner and it must have the sentence that the foreigner ‘is unable to travel due to the COVID-19 coronvirus situation.’ It must be an actual letter, hand over with a copy of their passport at the Immigration.Then I should 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155296-update-how-to-obtain-a-covid-19-visa-extension-letter-from-the-british-embassy-bangkok/

17 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Ive allready got 30 days extension untill aprill 11th.

Will i get a further 30 days and is there a cost 1900 baht.

Advise please thanks

with a letter from your embassy, yes

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bangkokboy888 said:

Social distancing thai immigration style

• Like 1