Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes and Yes

Hi Ubonjoe...thank you for being so responsive amidst the chaos this virus has wreaked.  I hear the optimism in your reply, yet anecdotally we have not yet seen anyone post here that they have successfully secured a 2nd extension, even when they have supplied embassy letters.  Is there someone you know of that has gotten that 2nd 30-day extension smoothly without a hitch?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Ive allready got 30 days extension untill aprill 11th.

Will i get a further 30 days and is there a cost 1900 baht.

Advise please thanks

It’s a lot of time until 11 of April. Hard to guess what the situation will be by then. 

15 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

SUCCESS: I GOT MY 30 DAY EXTENSION TODAY AFTER BEING REJECTED ON MONDAY DUE TO GENERIC (NO NAME, PASSPORT NUMBER) LETTER FROM US EMBASSY. THANKS TO EVERYONE'S INFORMATION AND SUPPORT ON THIS FORUM. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE EXTENSION PURELY FROM THE INFORMATION ON THIS FORUM. 

A couple of points to clarify:

Was the letter a print out of a PDF received by email?

Did you have to provide any evidence to your embassy or the IO that you were genuinely "trapped" in Thailand and had had a flight cancelled and could not get another before your visa ran out?

Was there any question at all around why you should receive an extension if you could still get a flight home within the validity of your visa?

Did it feel like the process was simply a case of "you are in Thailand, there is corona, you can extend" without further questions?

Did you feel that politeness and speaking to her in Thai (which you carefully highlight) made any difference or was that more for story telling/rhetorical purposes?

Thanks for posting this.

(Edited to add more questions.)

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

My pleasure just paying it forward. 

I came to this forum on Sunday with no idea about what to do with expiring visa on mar 29

now have an extension using the info on this forum. 

????

I assume they +30 from the 29th right, not from today? Or are you waiting to see..

On 3/23/2020 at 12:55 AM, vermin on arrival said:

...and that going home was fraught with difficulties since my brother's house was in quarantine and my elderly and infirm parents with whom I live when I am in the States are in complete seclusion so I could not stay with them.

And those are the only two places in the whole continental US where you can stay?

If I was the Thai Immigration guy you're dealing with, I wouldn't buy it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bangkokboy888 said:

SUCCESS: I GOT MY 30 DAY EXTENSION TODAY AFTER BEING REJECTED ON MONDAY DUE TO GENERIC (NO NAME, PASSPORT NUMBER) LETTER FROM US EMBASSY. THANKS TO EVERYONE'S INFORMATION AND SUPPORT ON THIS FORUM. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE EXTENSION PURELY FROM THE INFORMATION ON THIS FORUM. 

That's great news. Were you renewing a SETV, METV or visa exempt entry?

the uk embassy says they are taking enquiries to extend tourist visas there is  a weblink to send info, but it doesnt mention non b visas mine expires end of april.

This thread is to long now ... its hard to see if someone has answered this query already.

I was intending originally to pay for a 2 month TV at savanakhet as my gf is here and i was planning to move to vietnam after that

Edited by jaffas21

26 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

That's great news. Were you renewing a SETV, METV or visa exempt entry?

Renewing visa exempt entry for a second time (originally ineligible but did so with letter from embassy with my personal info on it. 

they gave me until April 22 which I calculate is 30 days from the date of my failed extension attempt 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bangkokboy888 said:

my responses are in italics

Was the letter a print out of a PDF received by email?

PDF received by email. had my full name and passport number. i printed it in color to make it appear more 'original'

Did you have to provide any evidence to your embassy or the IO that you were genuinely "trapped" in Thailand and had had a flight cancelled and could not get another before your visa ran out?

happy for you ... hope i get mine soon too 

12 hours ago, eppic said:

Thanks a lot. We have a four-year-old boy and were hoping to avoid the chaos.  So it sounds like the child and spouse are required to come in person?

May I ask was this a recent experience? I took my son with my on previous occasions for non-O extensions but had no idea we could have had expedited entry (perhaps this is a new thing?)

Yes, was actually on three recent experiences: for my and my son's first visa waiver extension (U.S. cit.), and for my wife's two extensions of her visa on arrival (each with a personalized physical letter issued from her embassy [China]).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

You said your previous extension was to expire on 29 of March and they gave you a new extension until 22.04 only? That is 7 days less than 30 days. What happens to these people? Why are they so stingy at these hard times?

I guess his permit to stay expired on 22.03., then he went to apply for an extension. His extension request was denied and he got 7 days to leave the country (29.03.)

Now he applied again and this time the extension was granted. The 7 days to leave the country is probably not considered as a regular extension, so the now granted extension starts on the day his previous permit to stay expired, thus allowing him to stay until (22.04.)

Same happens in case you were on overstay and apply for an extension, the days which you have been on overstay will not be added. So if somebody with a 10 days overstay applies for an extension, even though he pays 5k THB fine, he will only be allowed to stay 20 more days.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So it sounds like they're giving you 30 days from the day you apply.  (Or reapply, in your case.)

If it's only 30 days since you re-apply that's terrible news. It should be 30 days from the date of when the original extension expires.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

So it sounds like they're giving you 30 days from the day you apply.  (Or reapply, in your case.)

Which means one might want to go later but then who knows if they will close IOs and then people must overstay. Don't assume automatic extensions if offices close.

Edited by vermin on arrival

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I guess his permit to stay expired on 22.03., then he went to apply for an extension. His extension request was denied and he got 7 days to leave the country (29.03.)

Now he applied again and this time the extension was granted. The 7 days to leave the country is probably not considered as a regular extension, so the now granted extension starts on the day his previous permit to stay expired, thus allowing him to stay until (22.04.)

Same happens in case you were on overstay and apply for an extension, the days which you have been on overstay will not be added. So if somebody with a 10 days overstay applies for an extension, even though he pays 5k THB fine, he will only be allowed to stay 20 more days.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Here is his quote:

-they denied me on monday and gave me seven days to apr 5

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They hate the fact that they have to do this and want us gone as soon as possible.

This is exactly what it feels like. They gave him the minimum they could give starting from the date he first time ASKED them to prolong his extension. Which is an absurd.

Edited by Zikomat

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You should try this thread:

Not applicable to non holders apparently you need evidence of a cancelled flight which obviously i dont have yet.. this is clearly for tourist visas what if your on a non b and you cant get out