closing all 18 permanent checkpoints in 17 provinces around the country

anchadian

jlVb0fS8_bigger.jpg

The Ministry of Interior plan to close all 18 permanent checkpoints in 17 provinces around the country starting from Monday 23rd March to stop the spread of #COVID19 #Thailand
Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That has been in the news already.

Believe news reports were one crossing would remain open in each area of the country - this seems to be a new plan but not officially announced by press yet.

Yes believe those would be the official border crossings that all nationalities are allowed to use and likely those that were to remain open as of yesterday.

image.jpeg.09ef91547ef75a530f8dd27d2069f209.jpeg

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Where 'permanent check point' means what? border crossing?

It's official Thai speak...it means literally...a permanent crossing (there are also temporary crossings). Most permanent crossings are also international crossings, meaning they are open to all nationalities, though there are a couple of exceptions like Dan Singkorn in Prachuab and Ban Khao Din in Sa Kaeo, both of which have been slated to be upgraded to international status but so far haven't been.

I  have a Laos friend in Thailand who tells me he cannot go home as the Savannakhet/Mukdahan boarder is closed and he's saying he will not be allowed back into Laos which sounds wrong to me. 

Anyone know the situation at that boarder as I said I would try and help out.  

2 minutes ago, zengrafix said:

I  have a Laos friend in Thailand who tells me he cannot go home as the Savannakhet/Mukdahan boarder is closed and he's saying he will not be allowed back into Laos which sounds wrong to me. 

sounds right to me. Closed means closed,

11 hours ago, zengrafix said:

I was there on Saturday and it was open to people with the correct documentation.People and trucks were crossing both ways.

Some checkpoints were open but are scheduled to close Monday and once the exit of foreign workers is finished all checkpoints will most likely be closed to anything but goods (but there were reportedly tens of thousands in queue to leave as of yesterday).  Chong Mek border checkpoint has reportedly been ordered to remain open until 6pm today to help this exit.  

• Like 1