Face Mask Washing Advice Please

mixed

If its what I think it is, it is supposed to hold a disposable filter in between the 2 layers.

Go to lazada and look for "PM2.5 mask filters" and you will see the filters for sale.  

Definitely hand wash in cold water with soap, dry in sun.  Do not microwave, you don't want to melt or shrivel-up the poly.

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

Fresh urine only. From a healthy disease free person. Do not use the urine if it is from a person with an infection. Do not use stale urine that has been allowed to sit around. 

Wash thoroughly in the urine and rinse well with clean water.

Allow to dry thoroughly. 

And how is the above determined?

On 3/23/2020 at 5:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

They are useless, just for show really but i plan to put mine in the laundry if i ever use them

It depends on what kinds of masks you're talking about:

--N95 respirator masks

--drugstore masks

--homemade cloth masks

The N95 masks are the ones that medical staff are recommended to wear when dealing with CV patients. If worn and fitted properly, they can be very effective.  But they're also hard to come by these days, with shortages worldwide even for medical personnel.

Short of those, anything that helps protect the wearer's face nose and mouth is better than nothing. The more air tight the mask is on the face, the better. But wearing any mask that's re-useable also requires careful handling and hand hygiene to avoid becoming infected from the mask itself.

Things have gotten so bad lately that the U.S. CDC recently changed its advice to medical personal advising that in a crisis situation and if they didn't have other masks available, they could wear things like face scarves and bandanas.

HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html

On 3/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, simple1 said:

if you're thinking of Covid-19, only N95 face masks are useful.  Otherwise use the protocols at URL below.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks

On the link it says...

N95 Respirators Not for Use by the Public

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). 

this virus size is one micron.

only N99 mask might help against it, but with that mask you can hardly breath.

so forget about proffesional cleaning of your mask.

just wash with with water and wear it when you go out.

it won't stop the virus but it will stop attacks on you

because you are a non-mask-wearing farang.

10 hours ago, ravip said:

On the link it says...

N95 Respirators Not for Use by the Public

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). 

I know, I believe the disclaimer applies as currently meant to be limited in the US for medical profession. N95's are available for supply to general public for ordering via the likes of Amazon. I ordered some for my wife who works in a takeaway restaurant as a better level of protection than the day to day masks.

• Like 2

After you wash your mask, pour your favorite alcohol in a soup bowl and submerge your mask in it. Then squeeze out the mask. Drink the alcohol in the bowl and put the mask on. Make sure you keep drinking all day long to keep your body alcoholized and virus free. ????

drunk-superman-4k-pa-1125x2436.jpg

• Haha 1

I read a report from Sanford? or Stanford University. Sorry, but cannot find the link, that said 30 mins at 70 degrees Centigrade in the oven was enough to sterilise N95 masks.

Edit. This is not the report that I read, but it does mention the same thing: https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

Note it also says the CDC does not recommend reusing masks.

Edited by phetphet

On 3/23/2020 at 7:13 PM, Sheryl said:

As above or also laundry detergent. Dry in the sun if you can.

As noted, protects others more than you (if you have anything to protect from). Also helps a lot with social acceptability .

My local pharmacy was selling cloth masks made to be laundered and reused, 40 baht each, last a lot longer.

40 baht each ,at the start of this the wife bought 10 for 100 baht . how times change .lol