Masks: to wear or not to wear

Bannockburn

We have been living in an era where natural selection has been suppressed (or slowed down) by our technology and medical research.

Now we will be selected more directly by our choices.

Those making the wrong decisions will be removed from the gene pool along with all the unlucky people.

You may rely on luck or work to make decisions based on the best information, like the OP was attempting to find.

19 hours ago, anchadian said:

The coronavirus doesn't fly around in the air.

Almost all viruses are airborne. Many infections come from droplets floating around in the air.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-considers-airborne-precautions-for-medical-staff-after-study-shows-coronavirus-can-survive-in-air.html

air.jpg

18 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

And there was I thinking they were simply fashion accessories.

Without eye protection as well, it's like locking the door and leaving the window wide open. However, the natives are not renown for pushing the envelope where critical thinking is concerned.

Neither are the British nor Americans...just look at the morons those countries have for leaders.  By the way, I am American, and I certainly feel safer here than I would in my home country.

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

that guy has NEVER made sense to me.

What's scary about David Icke is that he'd start out talking about the corrupted financial system with well taken points.

Then he'd turn around and talk about the conspiracy theory of shapeshifters and how he can prove that Lizard People run the planet.

Jesse Ventura took on to debunk the theory (haha) and found that the all roads of the Lizard People theory led back to David Icke. 

It basically seems he invented this theory and made a lot of money on it through books and speeches.

Even if he were to raise valid questions nowadays given his history he just can't be trusted.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mahks said:

We have been living in an era where natural selection has been suppressed (or slowed down) by our technology and medical research.

Now we will be selected more directly by our choices.

Those making the wrong decisions will be removed from the gene pool along with all the unlucky people.

You may rely on luck or work to make decisions based on the best information, like the OP was attempting to find.

Highly flawed logic there.... 

The ageing population have already passed along their genes... thus, any elders passing as a result of the poor decisions and selfishness of others does nothing for the future gene-pool.

Your logic only applies to the young with pre-existing genetic conditions who succumb to this virus.

19 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Without eye protection as well, it's like locking the door and leaving the window wide open. However, the natives are not renown for pushing the envelope where critical thinking is concerned.

How about wearing glasses/sunglasses. I always wear when riding motorcycle/scooter or bicycle as I have been hit in eye by bug or pebble and required trip to Dr and eye medication.  The face shields they use are not sealed or closed off at the bottom ,just protect dropplets from hitting eys and mask

Noon news is on and some real nasty motormouths are railing against the farang spreaders here in Thailand. I mean its ugly, who cares if it is not true. So when they see you without a mask guess what most of the locals think. 

Yes it is sad but it is a FACT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Well it would appear that the “natives” in other countries are suffering from the same problem.

I was watching the news from the UK the other evening and despite pleas from the government people are still congregating en mass one group moving between exercise equipment in a park gripping the same hand rails.

Australia is no better people were refusing to leave a crowded Bondi Beach in Sydney and had to be threatened with police action.

It seems that the lack of critical thinking is a world wide problem.

Bondi beach is bogans, kiwis and euro backpackers.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF others are unsure if you are a complete and total dumb selfish a$$#ole, remove all doubt and don’t wear a mask when out in public !

People who are asymptomatic unwittingly spread the virus...  don’t be halfwit. 

Get off your high horse. I don't wear a mask but I only go out to run around a lake. last night there were 0 runners wearing a mask our of 30 or so. Are they all dumb selfish ars*holes?

If you want to be specific, its not a high-horse - its an 'anti-a$$4ole-horse’ specifically targeting those completely and totally utterly self-entered a$$#holes who think they are above everyone else... 

If someone wants to go for run in the open in an area where there are zero other people, then of course, that’s fair enough. But those refusing to wear a mask in the vicinity of others over this epidemic period are selfish <deleted> - there really is nothing to debate on that. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Joined by the natives of most of the world it seems.

And if you think masks are hard to find, just try to buy a face shield.

Sunglasses are not eye protection except against projectiles (and for welding in Thailand of course). 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you want to be specific, its not a high-horse - its an 'anti-a$$4ole-horse’ specifically targeting those completely and totally utterly self-entered a$$#holes who think they are above everyone else... 

If someone wants to go for run in the open in an area where there are zero other people, then of course, that’s fair enough. But those refusing to wear a mask in the vicinity of others over this epidemic period are selfish <deleted> - there really is nothing to debate on that. 

Rubbish. If you stay 2m away from people a mask is useless.

I cannot understand why a mask cannot protect you form getting the virus when it coming at you at a slower speed but it can stop the virus getting out when you cough or sneeze and it is leaving the mouth at a much greater speed

Can anybody explain why it is like that to me please

Edited by offset

Wearing a mask is quite useless for several reasons...

• in regular mask the virus droplets can still infiltrate
  • eyes are NOT protected, and wearing glasses is NOT a solution
  • being in public area is better than nothing, if you are in close contact to other people
  • but you should change the mask every 20 minutes or so, as the become damped (and therefore becoming totally ineffective)
  • when changing the mask touch only the strings AND NOT the tissue of the mask; dispose the mask immediately
  • when wearing the mask try not to touch your face (very difficult as against human habits)
  • Wearing disposable gloves is NOT a solution, as you still will touch surfaces which might be contaminated (and as you don,t wash your gloves, you need to change them all the time (after hand washing)

As a Hygiene Officer during my daily work I have to deal with this every regular day of operation, and still being challenged day by day. During this pandemic is has to become a nightmare and a total mess.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

• in regular mask the virus droplets can still infiltrate
  • eyes are NOT protected, and wearing glasses is NOT a solution
  • being in public area is better than nothing, if you are in close contact to other people
  • but you should change the mask every 20 minutes or so, as the become damped (and therefore becoming totally ineffective)
  • when changing the mask touch only the strings AND NOT the tissue of the mask; dispose the mask immediately
  • when wearing the mask try not to touch your face (very difficult as against human habits)
  • Wearing disposable gloves is NOT a solution, as you still will touch surfaces which might be contaminated (and as you don,t wash your gloves, you need to change them all the time (after hand washing)

As a Hygiene Officer during my daily work I have to deal with this every regular day of operation, and still being challenged day by day. During this pandemic is has to become a nightmare and a total mess.

How long does the virus survive on wet surfaces like glasses? Any idea? 

Who would/could change his/her mask every 20 minutes? Isn't that somehow impossible??

Edited by Isaanbiker
Bring out the dead bodies.

4 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

You can't categorically dismiss Personal Protection Equipment such as a mask by 'you can still get the virus'. Wearing a mask offer a level of protection versus not wearing one. 
By this rationale wearing a bulletproof vest and helmet in war is useless too - because you can still get shot in the face.

1 minute ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

You can't categorically dismiss Personal Protection Equipment such as a mask by 'you can still get the virus'. Wearing a mask offer a level of protection versus not wearing one. 
By this rationale wearing a bulletproof vest and helmet in war is useless too - because you can still get shot in the face.

Actually, on an internet forum you can.

You can (as Accidental Tourist did) write absolute bu11sh1t with impunity.

You Sir, on the other hand, will not last long by writing commonsense posts - like wot you did. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rubbish. If you stay 2m away from people a mask is useless.

And you are quoting a fact?... because there are enough sources out there which report that Covid-19 can remain contagious and airborne for up to 3 hours

To reiterate... IF you have unknowingly been exposed to Covid-19 you can unwittingly transmit the virus though coughing / sneezing etc - a Mask will not prevent the spread, but it minimises the extent of spread when worn by someone who is contagious. 

For those who don’t want to wear masks: There are two choices, Do your part wear a mask and suffer some minor discomfort whenever you are out in public. Don't wear a mask and be the a-#ole who unwittingly contributes to the spread of this virus.