Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, ozz1 said:

Can't wait to see how tat put a spin on this maybe tourists will be up by millions according to them

Simples; they will count all the Thai's coming back, Diplomat's and Aircrew, add a few 0's and they are back in business !

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes.

Diplomats and WP holders are specifically mentioned as OK.

Of course TiT so who knows in reality.

Bad luck for someone with a family, wife and children who would have had a bad idea to leave the country, he can no longer return "home" unless having a work permit. ????

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Eldery people must stay home ..

okay, okay...

But at which age are we old ?

I'm 71 old and when I cycle with my MTBike, a lot of young 40 year olds find it hard to follow me ..

your only out, is if the cops etc are trying to follow you on bikes

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You really think that immigration cares to read Richard Barrow's tweets?

These are his thoughts and only his thoughts.  Think about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Eldery people must stay home ..

okay, okay...

But at which age are we old ?

I'm 71 old and when I cycle with my MTBike, a lot of young 40 year olds find it hard to follow me ..

What I read is: 

People can still leave their homes but government strongly advice 3 groups of people to stay home, 1) those above 70 years old, 2) those with health complication particularly respiratory conditions, 3) and children under the age of 5

so you can go out if you want as long as there's no curfew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mung said:

China acted terribly originally and tried to cover it up, but after the initial farce they acted in a stellar fashion. South Korea also, and as you mentioned Vietnam too. Thailand cared about money over people and allowed in Chinese tourists up until only a couple of weeks ago, now they are reaping what they have sewn. I just hope nations around the world learn from this because it will happen again, and next time it may be an insanely weaponised virus of some sort. We are far from prepared for even a somewhat tame coronavirus

Here is a rundown of what Vietnam has done in reverse chronological order. They stopped issuing visas to Chinese citizens and banned those who had traveled through China from entering on January 30th. https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/vietnam-business-operations-and-the-coronavirus-updates.html/

56 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I think it will be after as well. Perfect time to start rejecting visas after everyone is out. Those that are caught here are going to have to leave one day and if they keep on with certain restrictions, you may have trouble if you have a long history of Tourist Visas getting back in. They have been turning the screws up for ages and now is a great time to implement change.

Maybe this is little too late, yet if something gets done right now, it is better than not starting at all. I can see after the decree gets implemented, things changing a lot in the next few days. 

One would think they will be happy to have anyone here spending money, when things get going again.   But, admittedly, I am thinking of what is best for Thais / employment - not the Anti-Western agenda of another country in the region.

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Depending on where you live Thailand can be expensive especially in the big cities and tourist places.

Even there, expensive compared to where?   Latin America is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

8 minutes ago, khunyod said:

Very few countries were paying attention, but one was: Vietnam. They closed they created a plan and declared it an epidemic on Feb 1st. They've since closed schools, bars, festivals, etc., and have instituted actual quarantines (not "self-monitoring") for those few allowed into the country (mainly returning vietnamese). This is a poorer country than Thailand and one even more dependent on tourism and trade with China. A model to follow.

But unlike some countries, they are also Very Independent of China - long historical reasons for this.  No one tells them what to do; many have tried. 

12 minutes ago, young Farrang said:

I am on a long term tourist visa for the past 6 years due to my field of work (professional online card player)

(professional online card player)  :cheesy:  ????  Go to Las Vegas.

• Haha 1

It’s happening I feel like boarding up every door and window in our house and hiding in the basement it’s happening. Nah, it’ll be fine Foodpanda is delivering now!!! Great food. 

Edited by JimLuce
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JimLuce said:

It’s happening I feel like boarding up every door and window in our house and hiding in the basement it’s happening. 

Its that that worries me more than the virus itself.

• Sad 1