Retailers ramp up stock replenishment to meet demand

snoop1130

Retailers ramp up stock replenishment to meet demand

4cb55a5d5fc132b407397d04eef1c93c_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce’s Inspector General, Chatchai Saksilapachai has visited a distribution center for Big C supercenters at Thanyaburi Khlong 6 in Pathum Thani, where there is no shortage of goods for distribution to retailing points, despite a significant increase in demand.

The center is now operating 24 hours a day to deliver goods to its network of retailers. The Ministry of Commerce is coordinating with related agencies to allow trucks to run more frequently or even during prohibited hours to aid the distribution.

To ensure the availability of essential goods, the Ministry of Commerce has arranged Blue Flag trucks to sell consumable items at villages, while ensuring that the surge in demand for chicken eggs will be short-term, with supplies still manageable and some surplus available for export.

Big C Supercenter’s chief logistics officer Boonsak Stitmannaithum, said today the company still receives sufficient supplies from manufacturers, albeit with some delays due to higher demand, especially for drinking water, instant noodles, canned sardines, rice, and tissue paper for which the demand has doubled.

He said the company is now making a daily assessment and delivering items to its retailing points every day, giving priority to areas with higher demand. The company has increased the number of trucks in service to cope with the expected increase in demand in other provinces, as many people have already left Bangkok to return to their hometown.

As for the declaration of a State of Emergency by the government, Mr Boonsak said he believes the government will still allow logistical transport to operate, in order to deliver essential goods to the people.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-03-25
  • Like 1

There is a Big C in Udon and the food shelves have much bare space. This is not the Big C center, but the smaller one on the road to Nong Bua Lampoo. I saw people stocking up in fear. Maybe they need to put a limit on how much people can buy of one item to avoid shortages.. Go to this Big C store and it will make you wary about the supply chain.

Had to go out for my scheduled blood work today. Stopped by the Tesco-Lotus Prachachuen. Very few shoppers, plenty of stock, and many stock clerks adding even more. Only thing is short supply was branded 1.5L drinking water water. Plenty of 600ml. 

Booze and "non-essentials" still roped off.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Only thing is short supply was branded 1.5L drinking water water.

How lucky I am to live in a very small village which has its own source of drinking water;
I walk 30 meters and I am at the foot of the big tanks.
I pay 5 baht for filling a 19 liter tank.
yes, american measures :crazy:

Just completed my weekly shop at Central in Bangkok, and it was very quiet, but well-stocked and very well organised. They have said they have plenty of supply of most things, and only logistics, (shipment from warehouse to store), is slightly delayed.

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

How lucky I am to live in a very small village which has its own source of drinking water;
I walk 30 meters and I am at the foot of the big tanks.
I pay 5 baht for filling a 19 liter tank.
yes, american measures :crazy:

I tried to use "litre" but my computer kept correcting me. I went with "L" to avoid the pedantic backlash.

• Haha 1

Makro in Chumphon is well stocked.    a couple of the aisles like noodle aisle is about 10-20% more bare than normal.   But the store overall seems fine.   Went to tesco and big c last week,  no panic at all.

And yes, plenty of toilet paper for you overseas Westerners reading this.