Studies suggest warm weather can help suppress outbreak

Guderian

This was in yesterday's FT Europe newspaper. Copying newspaper columns into a forum post like this doesn't generally work very well, so I dumped the text of the article into an image file instead. It's a bit small, but that's as large as I could make it. The title of the article is the same as the title of this post. It's of interest to those who think the tropical heat and humidity will protect us, to some extent at least.

1971455105_FTvirustemperature.jpg.d0a041d108714e5a5bdb3fab00d7d833.jpg

• Like 1

I reckon the heat does help to kill the virus if someone coughs it on to a surface outside in the sunshine here I don't think it will last too long.

Sit your car in the sun here and it will hit well into the high 50C range in 20/30 mins. 

Stick your hand on a metal topped table that's in bright sun here with ambient air temp' in the 30's and it's hot, very hot.

UV I'm finding out is not such a big factor. Sunlight has A, B and C UV but the real virus killer UV C is very very low,  to the point it can be ignored.

Even if it's really hot getting sneezed or coughed on or touching a freshly coughed or sneezed on surface is going to get you. 

Stay home, don't have parties and don't go to any. Stay safe and well.

Edited by overherebc

31 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So I am at the right place expecting 38°C (100F) in the next few days :smile:

According to the article, anything much above 11° C should reduce its transmission. Add in the humidity here as an additional positive factor. It won't stop the virus, but it should slow it down, and every little helps in a situation like this.

14 minutes ago, Guderian said:

According to the article, anything much above 11° C should reduce its transmission. Add in the humidity here as an additional positive factor. It won't stop the virus, but it should slow it down, and every little helps in a situation like this.

Slowing it down to give the hard working medical services a break is really the best idea.

Every little bit helps.

A vaccine will come.