A nice surprise

ramrod711

Face mask discipline seems to be quite good among the Thais, I'd say 95% of the people in Chiang Rai are wearing them. Not so much in my GF's village, but they probably can't afford them, or can't get them.

The non-wearers seem to be mainly young Thai males.

Did the OP find out whether this is part of a bigger program?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Face mask discipline seems to be quite good among the Thais, I'd say 95% of the people in Chiang Rai are wearing them. Not so much in my GF's village, but they probably can't afford them, or can't get them.

I don't know if it is part of a program. They did announce it but then decided to deliver them. My wife was in the yard and she brought them in. Just as an aside, my wife attends a sewing class at a technical school in Chiang Mai until they closed it the students and teachers were all making masks.

This was pretty wonderful to read.

Overall, despite their decidedly late start, I’ve been pretty impressed by the Thai government during these dark days.

Many of my compatriots at home seem to have it worse than we do at present.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I guess they are not N95 masks, and therefore useless. Nice thought, though. 

Useless under what circumstances? 
Most information from the US CDC, WHO and similar organizations regarding the use of a facemask / respirator are written from the position of 'Preventing' the wearer from exposure to toxins, or disease.

For the layperson, the use of a surgical type mask has both research driven and anecdotal evidence that supports the use of these types of masks to prevent others in close proximity to the wearer from to exposure to air-borne diseases. Another advantage is wearing the mask can help reduce the number of times the wearer touches their face, (a primary source of disease transmission), and reducing the potential for self-infection.

Here in Thailand, as many Thai people believe the masks are effective, I would also suggest wearing a mask makes Westerners more socially acceptable and reduces their already high stress levels. For me, the positives of wearing a mask outweigh the above concerns.

My wife, (a Thai and trained micro-biologist) and I have discussed these concerns, including the effectiveness of certain masks, cultural concerns and similar. We do not wear a mask in the home, have a small supply of N95 masks available if needed should one of us get sick, and we wear surgical masks when venturing outside for supplies etc.

The following article discusses both of these issues, and was the most readily available online, please read if you are interested.
 -https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask

IMO: Be Kind, Wear a mask outside, Wash your hands especially before and after shopping etc, and drink BEER! ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

That is nice of them - - and in my village the same kindness would not surprise me... but why take the opportunity to bash? 

You don’t get it.  He is not bashing.  It is a joke.  

1 hour ago, Throatwobbler said:

That is all some members can do on here. Bash the Thais at every opportunity. Is what make TV unreadable most of the time and the reason that the vast majority of expats avoid it like the plague.

The only thing being bashed by TV aficionados in lockdown is the Bishop!

"Overall, despite their decidedly late start, I’ve been pretty impressed by the Thai government during these dark days."

This comment is a joke, I presume. 

My main concern is not about the virus with masks. Enough has been said about the reasons for wearing a cloth mask and by whom. If you are not sick and not showing symptoms or not caring for symptomatic patients, you do NOT need a mask. Period. (And medical professionals dealing with this require N95s, not some old T-shirt material with floral designs.)

I take the point made earlier about just shrugging it off and doing what the under-educated Thais ask you to do. Wear a silly hat if that's what gets you into Makro. 

But my main point is that this morning, for example (in Chiang Mai), on my porch the PM2.5 air reading was 385. This is an immediately hazardous situation and the ONLY mask that filters the PM2.5 particles are N95 and above. Period. 

Giving you any mask other than that is only a gesture; you might as well wear a sock over your mouth. 

So if you are impressed by the Thai government then you are both not living here and not very well informed. 

Edited by Trujillo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

not a joke at all - - where is the punchline? 

this kind of passive-aggressive whinging, so common here among choleric/degenerate/alzheimerian expats who have lost, or never had, compassion/heartedness, or taken personal responsibility for the poor choices they made in living here ... is more flavor-aid* curveball, Jim Jones flavor, than punch.

* Jones did not lead his mass suicide event using Kool-Aid ! it wasn't Kool-Aid

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
teething pain after re-birth as insect
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If you are not sick and not showing symptoms or not caring for symptomatic patients, you do NOT need a mask. Period.

I think you are missing the point about wearing a mask to protect others from you.

~o:47;

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You are a joke and don’t have one.

profound, Khun Bill ... that put me into satori immediately ! ???? When I come down, I'll "go ask Goddess when She's ten feet tall:" clickee

She's always got a mask on, but, I'd like to think that's just for me.

cheers, ~o:37;

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I live just north of Chiang Rai and yesterday the doctor who lives further along the soi delivered 4 masks to us. Must be good masks , intake of breath and they clamp to the face.  Just hope they keep some of the foul air out.

Oh my TW informs me that there is a 200B fine for not wearing a mask in town.

• Like 1