Your Current ISP Hardware

recom273

I recently upgraded to a nice TP-Link Deco mesh system, I was enjoying the concept that its not some ugly black box with ariels. It was connected to a Huawei GPON box, a nice little, white, discreet box that I mounted on the wall.

Yesterday I upgraded to a  1GB package, I was told there was no hardware upgrade - but we couldn't get the right speeds, until the tech turned up today to tell me that the GPON needed upgrading.

Now I have some a new monster black wifi router / GPON with 4 massive ariels that I that I don't need, setup in bridge mode. The guys didn't even switch off the wifi transmitter when they set it up.

I understand, they want to keep costs down, before they were offering 2 units, a Huawei GPON and a cheap TP-Link wifi router that went in the bin.

Just wondering what other ISP's are installing in your homes or if its possible to buy a standalone GPON to replace 3BB's monstrosity.

38 minutes ago, muratremix said:

You can't buy a random GPON and hope it'll work with 3BB. It doesn't.

If 3BB provides it and install it for you, then it'll work. Otherwise, stick to the Bridge mode.

Yeah, I understand that now. I was wondering if this was standard practice for all Thai ISP's to offer a combined GPON Wifi router these days.

Yesterday was a bad day, I was ready to rip out 3BB and install another provider, I was getting 50% slower speeds from the ethernet port on my mesh wifi router, than the output of 3BB's monsterous wifi router. The tech came back and created a new bridge mode profile, so at least my router is producing the same speeds a their router.

I just have to find someway to lose this horrendous black thing with this 1.5M bright yellow coiled fibre jumper cable hanging out the back. It's not even possible to unscrew the wifi antenna.

Changing ISP doesn't seem an option these days, 3BB really have the market, with a lot faster speeds at a lower price point. So its put up or move on. I just wished they offered a stand along ONU GPON,

Edited by recom273

On 4/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, recom273 said:

I just have to find someway to lose this horrendous black thing with this 1.5M bright yellow coiled fibre jumper cable hanging out the back.

Put a nice big pot plant in front of it .."out of sight out of mind"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

TOT have supplied us with a nice discrete Huawei HG 8245 H about 6"square by 1" thick.

Huawei-HG8245H-FTTH-2.jpg

True supplied the same looking but 8247H - said it was the only one they had for fibre that could be put in bridge mode. 

On 4/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, muratremix said:

You can't buy a random GPON and hope it'll work with 3BB. It doesn't.

If 3BB provides it and install it for you, then it'll work. Otherwise, stick to the Bridge mode.

I dont mind having an extra box. My 3bb for fiber (really old) is put in bridge while my router asus RTAC86u is  my main router. Just recently replaced my RTAC68U. I made screen shots of password and stuff in the old router then replaced it. After fiddeling around a bit had it working again in 25 minutes. 

Might be nicer to have it all in one device but an extra router among my huge amount of computer stuff is not a big problem. 

As far as i know for bridge mode it really does not matter how bad or old your 3BB supplied device is as it only gives data through and has no influence on speeds.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I dont mind having an extra box. My 3bb for fiber (really old) is put in bridge while my router asus RTAC86u is  my main router. Just recently replaced my RTAC68U. I made screen shots of password and stuff in the old router then replaced it. After fiddeling around a bit had it working again in 25 minutes. 

Might be nicer to have it all in one device but an extra router among my huge amount of computer stuff is not a big problem. 

As far as i know for bridge mode it really does not matter how bad or old your 3BB supplied device is as it only gives data through and has no influence on speeds.

Yeah an extra box is fine, the box that they had with the old package thats now outdated, but this GPON Wifi router is huge. Due to some confusion when they installed the fibre it in the bedroom. I guess it will have to stay there until we move house.

Yes, the ONU GPON or router does have an influence, even in bridge mode. I used to have an old ONU GPON that handles speeds unto 500Mbps, they have now replaced them with combination GPON routers the basic model will only handle upto 500Mbp connections, and they have different routers that will handle the 1Gbps connections. 

When the tech left he tested the output from the 3BB router, showed the wife the speedtest, then stuck it in bridge mode, locked the router off and left .. I then checked from my wifi router, I was getting slower speeds from my router than he was directly from the 3BB router. TP-Link said that the speeds should be virtually the same, so he returned and created a new bridge profile, and my TP-Link router started behaving itself. I appreciated him returning, he didn't have to help out, but he wanted to see a happy customer. 

ToT  supplied  ZTE GPON ONT ZXHN F601edit_P_20180602_131623.thumb.jpg.7aaf04c369c0f2f63130212bd3c7936a.jpg

I supplied  ASUS RT-AC86U  router

983838432_P_20180530_134112(Large).jpg.737399b03900b50401515bbc5d43abf3.jpg

stuck up in top corner of "spare room"   can sit in the garden of neighbouring apartment about 50 meters away and still get a WiFI signal.

edit_P_20180602_131615.thumb.jpg.574da955ebebe61f87fb164639ccf025.jpg

On 4/4/2020 at 1:32 PM, Crossy said:

TOT have supplied us with a nice discrete Huawei HG 8245 H about 6"square by 1" thick.

Huawei-HG8245H-FTTH-2.jpg

Ditto for AIS Fibre....same router....provided years ago when signing up with AIS. It's set to bridge mode, antennas folded down, just acting as a GPON bridge to feed my personal ASUS router which serves as the master router and get frequent firmware upgrades.

3 hours ago, johng said:

ToT  supplied  ZTE GPON ONT ZXHN F601edit_P_20180602_131623.thumb.jpg.7aaf04c369c0f2f63130212bd3c7936a.jpg

That would be perfect, the manufacturer spec seems to suggest it would be capable.

3BB really have the market cornered in our city, the closest competitor is AIS who offer half the speed, I don’t think they even offer an equivalent package at a similar price point. I guess I’m stuck with the monstrosity.