Sorry folks! Alcohol will not kill the virus - in fact it might just kill you quicker!

webfact

News Flash:

Anybody standing still is probably dead because they died from being bored stiff....more to follow

Take a listen to Joe Diffie's Prop me up besides the jukebox, if I die...

Yes more to the point Alcoholism will kill you because of liver failure.  Anything can kill you....just saying

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

News Flash:

Anybody standing still is probably dead because they died from being bored stiff....more to follow

Take a listen to Joe Diffie's Prop me up besides the jukebox, if I die...

Yes more to the point Alcoholism will kill you because of liver failure.  Anything can kill you....just saying

I dont think alcoholism is the point at all.

10 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Are you telling me that the virus could survive in the mouth of a lao khao drinker,well i don't beleive it.

Maybe it can't, but I've never seen anyone snorting lao khao up their nose or rinsing their eyes with it!

From what I've read, it requires an alcohol content of 65% or greater to kill the virus. There's a number of spirits available that have that amount of alcohol in them. Since we're told that the virus initially lodges in the throat for a few days before moving down to the lungs, what could it hurt to quaff a toddy of one of these before you go to bed at night?

https://www.foodandwine.com/drinks/12-worlds-strongest-liquors

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai authorities have been quick to scotch rumors circulating on Thai social media that drinking beer and spirits can kill the Covid-19 virus. 

Be fair, this lot look for lottery numbers in tree stumps and two headed cows and believe amulets protect you from car accidents so alcohol to kill a virus wold seem quite plausible to a lot of them

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Maybe it can't, but I've never seen anyone snorting lao khao up their nose or rinsing their eyes with it!

Just watch one of those pick ups full of construction workers on their way back home, when it stops outside the market in the evening!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Ethanol can be used for sanitizing surfaces and cleaning wounds but should never be ingested. 

ethanol is the normal alcohol in all alcoholic beverages thus people all over the world are drinking it every day.

people even drink bacardi 151 which is 75.5% ethanol.

it may be packaged differently in the pharmacy but chemically it is the same unless they add another ingredient to make it difficult to drink.

most will not drink ethanol bought at the pharmacy.

here is a very good video true story about a guy that drank isopropyl alcohol case presented by medical personnel

I was always told that nature disposes of the weak so the strong live on. Much like the lion chasing a herd of buffalo, it's the weaker one that goes down, with the stronger surviving.

Given the knowledge that beer kills off brain cells, by the logic given above it stands to reason that the weaker cells will be laid off.

Hense the reason why, when p****d as a tick, the drunk is such a smart ass and knows everything.

As said before, might be a few red faces around if beer does indeed help fight the virus. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You've never been to a Myananmarese construction party... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

From what I've read, it requires an alcohol content of 65% or greater to kill the virus. There's a number of spirits available that have that amount of alcohol in them. Since we're told that the virus initially lodges in the throat for a few days before moving down to the lungs, what could it hurt to quaff a toddy of one of these before you go to bed at night?

I would like to see the scientific paper that explains exactly where this 65% number comes from.  Where I have heard it from legitimate sources, it is always in the context of hand gels or sprays. If anyone knows of a first hand, rigorous explanation of this number I would welcome the info, but here is what I suspect it means.

First, it does NOT mean there is a hard line in nature that if you place a viral medium in a vat of 64% alcohol the virus will thrive, and in 65% it will die off. In fact, I suspect that even a small percentage of alcohol will kill it, so long as the volumes are such that we can genuinely speak of virus dissolved in alcohol and not alcohol dissolved in virus, and the virus stays submerged in the alcohol environment for sufficient time.

The 65% number I think is something different. I think that is what they modeled based on hand sanitizers. They created some model of how much volume a typical spray or gel would use on the hands, and how long it would take before the alcohol evaporated away at a range of temperatures and pressures, and then looked at what the minimum alcohol concentration was to guarantee that nearly all viral particles were killed in nearly all cases.  They then likely added a margin to this, and came up with a number like 65%.  But there is no hard line in nature that says 65% always works and 50% fails.

You can probably sanitize twice with a 50% solution and get the same results. You might be able to use more solution during a single round of a lower concentration as well.  The key is enough alcohol has to remain in contact with the virus for enough time to kill it. And even if you don't kill all the virus, a lower concentration alcohol will still probably kill a large percentage of the virus. Just not enough to be considered completely dead, and therefore not sufficient to recommend for the public that wants a simple number.

In the case of imbibing a liquid, as we are discussing here, I don't believe the 65% number is relevant. I would hypothesize this is more akin to the vat case above. Any amount of alcohol can help provided there is enough of it and it comes into contact with the virus for sufficient time.

I would be very interested to learn more about this 65% number though if somebody has technical documentation on its origin.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't care, I like it, I'm doing it.

I'm waiting for them to announce having sex with your partner, watching TV or using the internet are all banned.

Don't hold your breath!

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't care, I like it, I'm doing it.

I'm waiting for them to announce having sex with your partner, watching TV or using the internet are all banned.

They can't ban sex, they'd run out of population to control.

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

Sure, and Stroh rum is the best! Ask the austrians, they know.