Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

webfact

Kind of ironic that they introduce these harsh new restrictions today when Chonburi recorded no new cases. Maybe the governor will regard it as some kind of brilliant victory, that the virus is evidently fleeing in terror at the mere prospect of his restrictions, lol.

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

All of Pattaya is now considered as 20150, which denotes Banglamung Post Office, 20260 was used before and was for the post office in soi post office (13/??)

The post code has nothing to do with the city limits.

So does that mean a postcode with the same numbers can have 2 separate areas? Like for example Balham (South london) and Barnet (North London) 

I based my comment on the presumption that 1 postcode aligns to just 1 area, which, if is the case, Nicks postcode would be part of Pattaya? 

41 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

Sorry but this needs to be said. Yes lock down the town as it has worked so well for France, Spain and Italy! There is already a curfew in effect here in Chonburi province, 22:00 - 05:00 which is more than what that article stated .All businesses are shut including delivery so there is no reason to be out anyways.. Just more global governmental panic

The lock down is too late.  Thousands of Thai's have left for their home provinces, many taking the virus with them, before they even knew they had it. 

As it was spread by planes to other countries, Thailand has allowed it to spread by road throughout the country. 

Edited by Leaver

Last I heard there are about 2000 confirmed cases in Thailand and about 20000 suspected cases. Add to that the known fact now that about 25 to 50 percent of cases have no symptoms and that the virus can be transmitted by talking and breathing I'd say the time for denial is long past. 

1 minute ago, Walter Travolta said:

So does that mean a postcode with the same numbers can have 2 separate areas? Like for example Balham (South london) and Barnet (North London) 

I based my comment on the presumption that 1 postcode aligns to just 1 area, which, if is the case, Nicks postcode would be part of Pattaya? 

The post codes here only denote which post office it is sent to, whereas in the UK it can define down to one or two houses.

For example, my house, which is in Pong sub-district is still 20250, it covers a huge area.

• Like 1

Funny I was in Pattaya a couple of weeks back...everything normal except for no Chinese or Indians blocking the pavements. Now this. 

I simply cannot believe this nonsense: "Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open."

What on earth does it mean? If I am staying at a hotel and it closes down what happens to me. If I am leaving in 4 days why can't the hotel choose to stay open 4 days instead of 3? What a way to treat guests in your country. 

I am getting the impression that this constant barrage of edicts issued day after day is simply for the goons running the place to get tier photos in the paper each day. Throw the bums out.

• Like 2

"4. All beaches in Chonburi are to close to any social gathering but swimming is still allowed."

Hmm could a "social gathering" gather swimming but not on beach? Will swimmers be allowed in the water (never a good idea in my book) but not on the beach? Air drops!

Can I sit alone on the wall near the beach as I do in the morning and drive people to shelter with my guitar playing? One would think being alone is not a social gathering, but hard to tell here....

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

IMO, and with due respect to those self-isolating - the casual attitude to Covid19 shown by many backpackers and irresponsible expats in all major tourist areas is now resulting in an increase of infection rates. It's becoming clear that what goes around comes around. 

I hope the message sinks in at last.

Include irresponsible Thai nationals in that ???? we’ve had people carrying on as normal in our Pathumthani village.

As ex-pats we’re seeing our homelands being seriously affected which makes us more aware of the devastating possibilities.

33 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

My point was these holier than thous who make their own statements and pass them off as facts. Chivas' last short sentence included 3 statements he passed off as no argument without ANY evidence, he may well be correct, but believing something and passing it off as facts only induces more fake news and unnecessary arguments, especially when all you see lately is people making up their own stats to back up their scaremongering. Thailand was the 1st country outside China to have someone get the virus* This was 3 months ago* 61 people have got the virus throught Chonburi NOT JUST PATTAYA* which is not a high figure in the grand scheme of things, and Id like to know the figure it "rocketed up" from? When I read the headline, I was expecting the figure to be in the thousands!!!

Here are Chivas' claims just so you dont have to go back and check . . . 

"There will be thousands in reality and thats why the place is being complete closed and the Thais know this"

*If figures are to be believed

We all know Thailand likes to work in the grey area, so facts are not always available, especially when it comes to statistics, but I am sure we have all learnt to read between the lines here. 

I also find it hard to believe that thousands of tourists came from the epicenter of the outbreak, where thousands contracted the disease, to Pattaya, where there's only 61 reported cases.

Now, the rate of testing plays a big part on these statistics.  If NO ONE is tested for Corona Virus, you have NO CASES of Corona Virus.  This is a typically Thai way of playing with the stats.  

There's a story of an ill Russian and his Thai partner presenting themselves at the hospital, in fear they had Corona, because they were experiencing all the symptoms.  They WERE NOT tested, and prescribed basic medication, and told to go home, not even admitted.  Good luck to their taxi driver, or anyone that was on a baht bus with them, if that was their mode of transport. 

This couple very well may have had Corona, but they will not appear in the stats, nor will anyone they passed their disease onto, whether it was Corona, or not.

Over the last month, and I dare say into the near future, this virus will show Thailand for what Thailand really is, a 3rd World Country, more politically correctly known as a Developing Economy.

The Thai authorities really messed this up, but is it so surprising when you look at how those in power here got to be in power. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimn said:

Such an overreaction with only 61 cases and thats in the whole of ChonBuri not just Pattaya. Dont forget thats from the start of the problem. Without looking it up there will be some of those 61 who are now recovered.  Wonder where they will put the roadblocks. At each entrance on to the Sukumvidt I presume. Absolute nonsence.

Hilarious you actually follow these numbers my god 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Funny I was in Pattaya a couple of weeks back...everything normal except for no Chinese or Indians blocking the pavements. Now this. 

I simply cannot believe this nonsense: "Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open."

What on earth does it mean? If I am staying at a hotel and it closes down what happens to me. If I am leaving in 4 days why can't the hotel choose to stay open 4 days instead of 3? What a way to treat guests in your country. 

I am getting the impression that this constant barrage of edicts issued day after day is simply for the goons running the place to get tier photos in the paper each day. Throw the bums out.

Phuket closed all hotels 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The Thai authorities really messed this up, but is it so surprising when you look at how those in power here got to be in power.

Because they cant decide if they are a sovereign state or a dictatorship, an army should not run any country because they only know how to rule with an iron fist. People deserve more than this. It will get to the point here that you will only be able to eat from a 7eleven and have a tag on your ankle that beeps after 30 minutes of being outside your room

If I ever get out of this place alive, I wont be back for any longevity.

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:
15 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Swimming in the sea is going to infect who?

That depends upon who you sneeze or cough on.

The virus can travel in the air up to about 10 meters.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

So, hotels don't need to close down then!

I think something's lost in translation

I think that if a hotel has no guests, it must close. If a hotel has guests, it can choose to stay open or close. At least that what it says in a literal sense.

makes no sense to me either.

20 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Because they cant decide if they are a sovereign state or a dictatorship, an army should not run any country because they only know how to rule with an iron fist. People deserve more than this. It will get to the point here that you will only be able to eat from a 7eleven and have a tag on your ankle that beeps after 30 minutes of being outside your room

If I ever get out of this place alive, I wont be back for any longevity.

We, as in foreigners, are all along for the ride now. 

That doesn't mean we will all still want to live here when this is finished, and there's no guarantee visa laws will not change to get rid of older expats. 

They can do what they like here, with a stroke of a pen in Bangkok.  We all have NO RIGHT to live here.  We only have permission to remain here for 1 year, because a little sticker in our passport says so.  

Next week, with the stoke of a pen, retirement visas for those aged between 50 to 70 years of age.  Done.  That's it. Anyone over 70, goodbye.  Or, 1.5 million baht, 800k baht untouched, for a retirement visa.  Who knows?

My point being, when this is finished, many may not want to live here for sometime, or may not be able to live here anymore, due to visa law changes. 

Pattaya will emerge from this a different place, for the foreseeable future.  There just may be different visa laws to accompany that change also. 

Edited by Leaver

5 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:
5 hours ago, andre47 said:

6. All markets are to shut. 

Where to buy food?

Think they mean open air markets, mate.    Not  food stores.

Not all markets. 

6. Some markets ordered to close. 

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

IMO, and with due respect to those self-isolating - the casual attitude to Covid19 shown by many backpackers and irresponsible expats in all major tourist areas is now resulting in an increase of infection rates. It's becoming clear that what goes around comes around. 

I hope the message sinks in at last.

Based on what information?  You have the numbers of backpackers infected I assume vs expats vs Thais vs Thai tourists?  Tit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That's not good. My major question is what is going to happen to people staying in a hotel when it closes? Are they going to ensure a few have to stay open to provide these people with a roof over their heads?

As usual I suspect a Thai calculator used here that adds two zeros or removes two zero depending on the users daily wish ???? I also suspect a new calculator coming on line soon that removes many more zeros ????

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We, as in foreigners, are all along for the ride now. 

That doesn't mean we will all still want to live here when this is finished, and there's no guarantee visa laws will not change to get rid of older expats. 

They can do what they like here, with a stroke of a pen in Bangkok.  We all have NO RIGHT to live here.  We only have permission to remain here for 1 year, because a little sticker in our passport says so.  

Next week, with the stoke of a pen, retirement visas for those aged between 50 to 70 years of age.  Done.  That's it. Anyone over 70, goodbye.  Or, 1.5 million baht, 800k baht untouched, for a retirement visa.  Who knows?

My point being, when this is finished, many may not want to live here for sometime, or may not be able to live here anymore, due to visa law changes. 

Pattaya will emerge from this a different place, for the foreseeable future.  There just may be different visa laws to accompany that change also. 

Totally agree and its coming. Its becoming more obvious on a daily basis who the outsiders are who they like and who they dont. I for one dont stay where Im not wanted and will never put my dosh into an account just so I can stay on a retirement!! Im 52 so qualify. Id rather move around as I get itchy feet anyway. 
I hope those who boast about being here for 25 years and think they are untouchable because they are married and have built a house here get a short sharp shock! They will soon see how loved they are when their 'wives' say tarrah chuck and keep the house, they probably expect their wives to follow them but you can bet your bottom $ they will be happy to see the old fool get kicked out haha. As for the ones in the same boat but are humble enough to realise good things dont last forever, I feel for them

If Thailand allowed me out, or more to the point, Vietnam would let me in, I would happily do one right now. Prayut and his band of merry men will be the last ones to open their borders because they will be the last ones to understand the best way of dealing with it

Thailand is nowhere near those highly affected western countries regarding cases and the growth rate but those western countries will combat this disease before Thailand does, meaning the Thai borders will remain closed both ways until someone with a Mystery Machine and a Great Dane appears

• Sad 1