Please explain why you do it?

Surelynot

6 minutes ago, timendres said:

My hearing has suffered with age. So, what I consider a reasonable volume may seem loud to others. I always ask my neighbors if I am annoying them. However, since they are Thai, they will always say "no, it's okay". So I just always try to turn it down to the lowest volume I can.

Same here (hear?). But the levels others play there music are x10. That bass note just goes through me. I'd hate to think someone could hear my music/TV.

2 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Inconsiderate, selfish people. There are so many around. If you live in an ap't it's not just loud music, but also shouting, banging doors, smoking on balconies, not tying garbage correctly so on and so on. 

With you. So unbelievable the selfishness.

Years ago while traveling in India I realized a critical difference between east and west although I'd include Japan and Korea with the West. Really it's a divide between civil society and less so.

In developing countries the mentality is I tacitly agree to endure all your noise and you must tolerate mine as well.

In civil countries we have a common understanding noise is pollution and we should all attempt to not make uneccessary noise.

Of course if kids want to play music loud that's ok to a point. If it's too loud you're too old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Years ago while traveling in India I realized a critical difference between east and west although I'd include Japan and Korea with the West. Really it's a divide between civil society and less so.

In developing countries the mentality is I tacitly agree to endure all your noise and you must tolerate mine as well.

In civil countries we have a common understanding noise is pollution and we should all attempt to not make uneccessary noise.

Of course if kids want to play music loud that's ok to a point. If it's too loud you're too old.

I'm too old

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Really sorry. Not a clue. Just skimming and saw it. Bit taken aback because of the results.

Maybe it's just the Thai way to avoid confrontation even though noise stresses them. The family in the condo above mine allow their 7 year old to run around late at night banging on the floor. My Thai GF often stays at my condo alone and one night she went up to confront the Thai mother of the boy. "Sorry but what can I do" was the reply and still it continues when they are there until the kid falls over, bangs his head and screams himself to sleep. Thankfully they are not there all the time as her husband works overseas. My GF complains about the noise but is reluctant to say anything again other than complain to me about it as if it's my fault!

• Like 1

May I suggest you purchase a copy of Wagners Ring Cycle, position your speakers in their direction, play "Ride of the Valkyries" at great volume, on repeat, then go out for a few hours. Especially if they have just turned theirs off. ????????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd get used to it. After 3 months of lockdown, loud music will be the least of your problems

Just booked into a 5* spa resort for 4 weeks. Book price 120,000 got it for 28,000. Escaping!!! And not telling anyone else where it is.

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Maybe it's just the Thai way to avoid confrontation even though noise stresses them. The family in the condo above mine allow their 7 year old to run around late at night banging on the floor. My Thai GF often stays at my condo alone and one night she went up to confront the Thai mother of the boy. "Sorry but what can I do" was the reply and still it continues when they are there until the kid falls over, bangs his head and screams himself to sleep. Thankfully they are not there all the time as her husband works overseas. My GF complains about the noise but is reluctant to say anything again other than complain to me about it as if it's my fault!

Nearly bought upstairs carpets once it was that bad. It was like they were running a private gym.

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

May I suggest you purchase a copy of Wagners Ring Cycle, position your speakers in their direction, play "Ride of the Valkyries" at great volume, on repeat, then go out for a few hours. Especially if they have just turned theirs off. ????????

I would!!! Wife won't let me 5555

Sadly, it's the same as their driving/parking habits. Too many of them being selfish, but they just don't know they're doing it. And if you comment, you're the one who's making the problem.

We farang are selfish to them in many ways (not automatically offering to share our food, vehicles and money).

It's quite funny, because they actually have a term (greng jai) for 'not disturbing or inconveniencing others' and they use it often. In English at least there isn't really a word or phrase even if we wanted to use it.... but we PRACTISE it rather than say it and do the opposite.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Just booked into a 5* spa resort for 4 weeks. Book price 120,000 got it for 28,000. Escaping!!! And not telling anyone else where it is.

Let's hope it's not in Chonburi. Khon Kaen or a few other provinces.

55 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Don't understand your point. The question I have posed is to people who do it: why do they think it acceptable?

some people are selfish and some people aren't. some people care about others and some people don't. next.

4 minutes ago, 2long said:

Sadly, it's the same as their driving/parking habits. Too many of them being selfish, but they just don't know they're doing it. And if you comment, you're the one who's making the problem.

We farang are selfish to them in many ways (not automatically offering to share our food, vehicles and money).

It's quite funny, because they actually have a term (greng jai) for 'not disturbing or inconveniencing others' and they use it often. In English at least there isn't really a word or phrase even if we wanted to use it.... but we PRACTISE it rather than say it and do the opposite.

Yes. They just seem to be oblivious to what effect their actions might have.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

They'll complain about you to management and you'll be gone. It follows same pattern you've described. Thais just don't want conflict.

Loud music in itself I don't find to be a huge bother. What is bothersome is low frequencies. When I am in charge it will be illegal to possess audio equipment that can generate frequencies under 80hz or so.

3 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Loud music in itself I don't find to be a huge bother. What is bothersome is low frequencies. When I am in charge it will be illegal to possess audio equipment that can generate frequencies under 80hz or so.

I'll vote for you.

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I believe you can use something called earphones? so you don't annoy all your neighbours.

My neighbours play their music even louder, I think they are trying to blow the speaker system. Can't use headphones, I'm deaf in one ear. lol

Might I suggest you get ear plugs. 

3 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

My neighbours play their music even louder, I think they are trying to blow the speaker system. Can't use headphones, I'm deaf in one ear. lol

Might I suggest you get ear plugs. 

Ear plugs simply don't work, not even noise cancelling earphones will cut out the heavy bass notes. Are you not driven mad by your neighbours music???

17 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

When playing Pink Floyd it has to be loud. Sod the neighbours! 

I could accept PF played loud by the neighbours, unfortunately they prefer that terrible silly techno ????

Sorry but I don't put up with it on a continual basis being in CM. Everyone's right to do sometimes and at reasonable hours but not blasting hours upon hours ongoing. If they do cross the line then they get me in their face. Hate roosters.

So for you being in the sticks as you say you are, this is more difficult and more dangerous for you to complain. Lived in the sticks before. It basically comes down to selfish and insensitive and when provoked you are the odd foreigner out and may get hurt.. 

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Ear plugs simply don't work, not even noise cancelling earphones will cut out the heavy bass notes. Are you not driven mad by your neighbours music???

Depends on what time of day it is. Thais like to play their music as loud as possible, No idea why but that's how it is. When it happens I stick an earphone in my good ear that tends to cut out their music. But I don't live in a heavily built up area and it doesn't happen that often. I guess with people stuck at home they have more time to play their music.