Phuket Immigration launches ‘field offices’ in lockdown areas

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Immigration launches ‘field offices’ in lockdown areas
By Tanyaluk Sakoot

93056830_2547299265519914_2739539280526311424_n.jpg

The new locations will be posted on the Phuket Immigration website as and when they change. Image: Phuket Immigration / Facebook

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration has launched “field offices” to help foreigners avoid having to travel across the island in order to visit an immigration office.

The mobile units were launched yesterday (Apr 7) and although some units were late to be deployed yesterday, their usual hours are from 10am  to 3pm on work Monday through Friday, explained Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro.

The mobile units are able to process extensions to short stay visas (30 days or less), long stay visas (more than 30 days), issue re-entry permits as well as process residence notifications and 90-day reports.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-launches-field-offices-in-lockdown-areas-75631.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-08

How crazy is this.  So we supposed to track these mobile units down. I had applauded Imm for this yesterday. But mobile means move about each day. How that work.

"Yesterday the mobile units were at the Patong Immigration office, Chalong Police Station and Karon Police Station.

Today (Apr ???? they are at Chalong Pier, the Patong Immigration office and in front of the Mexican honorary consul’s office at The Plaza Surin in Cherng Talay."

Sits very well with 'Immigration set to announce automatic visa extensions' that I've just read.  

They're sending out a somewhat confusing message here aren't they?

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

hours are from 10am  to 3pm on work Monday through Friday, explained Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro.

After twice this week failing to achieve any results from my attempts to get service from Phuket town Immigration, and banned from travelling there again, today I thought that I would give the advertised mobile office at Chalong Police Station a go. 

After managing to find parking and getting in to the office,  was informed Immigration weren't there, but at the visa place on the bridge(?)  Eventually worked out they meant the pier so tried there. I wasn't up to a half mile wheelchair trundle to the yachty border office in the heat so attempted to drive out. 

Stopped by someone in a uniform and was advised they are closed today! They're only there to hand back passports. 

The chances of me becoming illegal, or strangling someone, are increasing exponentially.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

After twice this week failing to achieve any results from my attempts to get service from Phuket town Immigration, and banned from travelling there again, today I thought that I would give the advertised mobile office at Chalong Police Station a go. 

After managing to find parking and getting in to the office,  was informed Immigration weren't there, but at the visa place on the bridge(?)  Eventually worked out they meant the pier so tried there. I wasn't up to a half mile wheelchair trundle to the yachty border office in the heat so attempted to drive out. 

Stopped by someone in a uniform and was advised they are closed today! They're only there to hand back passports. 

The chances of me becoming illegal, or strangling someone, are increasing exponentially.

Read the news article. Mobile means move about. Chalong police station was only for one day. Then Chalong Pier next day. Seems you need to check web site to find them. Crazy.

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Read the news article. Mobile means move about. Chalong police station was only for one day. Then Chalong Pier next day. Seems you need to check web site to find them. Crazy.

I could've handled the game of hide and seek, and the fact that the notice was fluid and needed to be checked constantly for changes, but it was the part where they falsely said they would be open on Friday that got me raving.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I could've handled the game of hide and seek, and the fact that the notice was fluid and needed to be checked constantly for changes, but it was the part where they falsely said they would be open on Friday that got me raving.

Take into account all will be closed next days, should reopen again Thursday.

My 'under consideration' ends Friday, looks like I'll have to wait to check in person after the lockdown, unless they set up a mobile office in Rawai.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

My 'under consideration' ends Friday, looks like I'll have to wait to check in person after the lockdown, unless they set up a mobile office in Rawai.

The Songkran holiday is cancelled. Banks, Government offices should be operating "as normal" and should be open on Monday

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The Songkran holiday is cancelled. Banks, Government offices should be operating "as normal" and should be open on Monday

I hope so. I know quite a few people who would like to receive 5000 Baht from the government but don't have a bank account, or an account with a bank not mentioned in the online form.

I was in a different situation. My yearly extension expires on the 22nd May, so, still too early to apply 30 days before. I'm unable to go back to work until I have the extension as there is a good chance that if I leave Thailand, I won't be able to fly back unless I have a COVID-19 test to show I'm clear of the virus. As you all know, it's virtually impossible to get a test without showing symptoms. The end result would be that my present extension runs out and I would have to start all over again.

Decided to go to Phuket Town immigration with all my paperwork (to check that I have everything) and to ask their advice about what would happen if this lock-down is several weeks in duration.

They said that I could extend now, even though it was 43 days before the extension ran-out. Usually, to get an extension done this early, you need a confirmed flight out showing that you will not be able to extend the visa within the normal time-frame.

Very happy that they decided to do the extension, but, pointed out that my district is going into a severe lock-down on Monday, so, how would I pick up my passport?

They told me to come back at 04:00 pm on the same day. I asked if I could still get a re-entry permit. They told me to come back at 03:00 pm.

Got my extension and re-entry permit yesterday afternoon. Brilliant service yet again from Phuket Town immigration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I was in a different situation. My yearly extension expires on the 22nd May, so, still too early to apply 30 days before. I'm unable to go back to work until I have the extension as there is a good chance that if I leave Thailand, I won't be able to fly back unless I have a COVID-19 test to show I'm clear of the virus. As you all know, it's virtually impossible to get a test without showing symptoms. The end result would be that my present extension runs out and I would have to start all over again.

Decided to go to Phuket Town immigration with all my paperwork (to check that I have everything) and to ask their advice about what would happen if this lock-down is several weeks in duration.

They said that I could extend now, even though it was 43 days before the extension ran-out. Usually, to get an extension done this early, you need a confirmed flight out showing that you will not be able to extend the visa within the normal time-frame.

Very happy that they decided to do the extension, but, pointed out that my district is going into a severe lock-down on Monday, so, how would I pick up my passport?

They told me to come back at 04:00 pm on the same day. I asked if I could still get a re-entry permit. They told me to come back at 03:00 pm.

Got my extension and re-entry permit yesterday afternoon. Brilliant service yet again from Phuket Town immigration.

Good news and welcome back.

Extension based on retirement?

Edited by stevenl

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, I've already chalked in next Thursday, wherever they may set up shop on the day. 

Will probably have to buy a new letter and statement from the bank. 

Edit - After reading MM's post about Songkran being canx I found this. Changes things.

13 Apr Monday Songkran Holiday Postponed
14 Apr Tuesday Songkran Holiday Postponed
15 Apr Wednesday Songkran

National holiday

Edited by Old Croc

Now I'm reading we have all been ordered to stay in our homes for a couple of weeks from Monday 13th!  (If new Thaiger journo Greeley Pulitzer is to be believed! ????)

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/phuket-residents-instructed-to-stay-home-for-at-least-14-days-but-its-an-order  

If someone doesn't take that pen away from the governor very soon who knows what order he will sign next!

Will Immigration bother to open at all?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Now I'm reading we have all been ordered to stay in our homes for a couple of weeks from Monday 13th!  (If new Thaiger journo Greeley Pulitzer is to be believed! ????)

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/phuket-residents-instructed-to-stay-home-for-at-least-14-days-but-its-an-order  

If someone doesn't take that pen away from the governor very soon who knows what order he will sign next!

Will Immigration bother to open at all?

That is a reference to the lockdown of the tambons, apparently not fully understood by the journalist.

• Haha 1

I'm still unsure whether today is a quasi holiday or just a normal working day.

Does anyone know for sure if Immigration is operating today? More particularly the Chalong "mobile" office?

And if yes, where is it now, still at the end of the pier? 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:22 PM, stevenl said:

That is a reference to the lockdown of the tambons, apparently not fully understood by the journalist.

Yes, without apology, the message from that media is now amended to reflect the actual situation.

The ludacris nom de plume used by the author also seems to have disappeared.

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Wife says it's a normal working day. The Songkran public holidays have been cancelled.

Yes I checked the Public Holiday list. Today and tomorrow are no longer listed.

However, I tried to ring Phuket Immigration, but their main line and hot line were dead. 

Just trying to avoid another wasted attempt to find a working IO.  Three last week.

If I am successful they'll probably tell me my bank docs are out of date!

• Sad 1