Thai provinces ban alcohol sales ahead of New Year to curb coronavirus spread

rooster59

2 hours ago, smedly said:

more confrontation

So, I am confronting somebody, if I give an answer with the same medicine? I guess you have another thing to read up on know, so that you get in touch with reality.

That´s confronting you!

DayeyH ,,,,,,, Congratuations, for spitting it out. You are absolutely right 

I am afraid many of these mini brains on here who think that alcohol is more important than saving lives & criticizing every little thing their host country does (Heaven knows why they are still here) come into this category,

"We are governed by the lowest common denominator"

The other thing is their home countries are not fairing too well either, why,,,,, maybe because they have more like them at home who just cannot accept any form of being controlled &

think they know best

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If are a heavy drinker you are actually in danger of having a seizure and dying from suddenly stopping drinking. I recommend a drug called Gabapentin if you are a chronic alcoholic, this is will ease your withdrawal and effectively act as an anti convulsant and prevent a seizure. 

it works on GABA receptors the same as alcohol and it’s very safe.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Get off your perch. "Alcos"?

What the f is that about. Many folk enjoy a quiet beer on regular basis. 

So do I. Get of my perch hey? You Know what I am talking about. Alcoholics I Have seen them go Mental if they don't get there Fix.  Have a nice day .Stay Home and be Quiet.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I dont know if its only me but its actually quite easy to find shops that sell beers (at least here in Chiang Mai). With the COVID situation, alot of people are in need of money. Even 2 people from Pattaya that i used to have <fun> with (in 2017) recently magically added me on Facebook asking me if i want to have fun for 800 bahts lol.. 

Yesterday we bought 15 cans of Chang and the shop that sold it to us sent their 25 years old daughter and the daughter was basically begging us to not snitch them to the police for a good 10 minutes... and told us to bring a bag next time lol. 

Another shop near the Night Bazar also sells if u go to the back and hand them a bag.. 

I think if youve been here for a certain amount of time (8 years in my case) you know that this ban isnt going to work. Especially in the small village where the police are actually bribed (even the police itself drink). 

I remember in 2015 in Bangkok when i was on Silom 4, a police officer came (in civil clothing) and was heavily drunk. He drank whiskey for an hour or two then put on his police uniform and went to work like it was nothing.. 

• Thanks 1

This ban caught me out. The one day I decided not to check the news (it was getting me down a bit) was the day they announced the ban. Wifey came back from the Tesco outside the condo and said, ''It's really busy in Tesco today for some reason.'' I paid no attention.

I was looking forward to my first beer in about 10 days. I had some cricket to watch on IPTV over the weekend (Ben Stokes innings in full in the Ashes and the Cricket World Cup final in full over the weekend).  It was all planned. Don't check the news, switch off the phone, watch some cricket, order a pizza, chuck a few ice-cold beers down my neck and relax for a couple of days at least.

Then, I checked the news...<deleted>.

Obviously, I didn't try checking the local mom 'n' pops the next day (which were all closed). Even online deliveries weren't available, at least that's what I heard, but I wouldn't know anything about that, of course.

I get it though. It's to stop idiots gathering for parties over Songkran. Still, I can't wait for the ban to end. I enjoy my once a week/once a fortnight beer evenings ????

Edited by What a carry on

19 minutes ago, What a carry on said:

This ban caught me out. The one day I decided not to check the news (it was getting me down a bit) was the day they announced the ban. Wifey came back from the Tesco outside the condo and said, ''It's really busy in Tesco today for some reason.'' I paid no attention.

I was looking forward to my first beer in about 10 days. I had some cricket to watch on IPTV over the weekend (Ben Stokes innings in full in the Ashes and the Cricket World Cup final in full over the weekend).  It was all planned. Don't check the news, switch off the phone, watch some cricket, order a pizza, chuck a few ice-cold beers down my neck and relax for a couple of days at least.

Then, I checked the news...<deleted>.

Obviously, I didn't try checking the local mom 'n' pops the next day (which were all closed). Even online deliveries weren't available, at least that's what I heard, but I wouldn't know anything about that, of course.

I get it though. It's to stop idiots gathering for parties over Songkran. Still, I can't wait for the ban to end. I enjoy my once a week/once a fortnight beer evenings ????

Fact is some proviences have zero sales till end of April. Not lot to do with Songkran.

To be fair some end ban April 15. Not many. 

In Australia right now they have very severe restrictions. Won't go through them all. Just a couple. 

Maximum gathering of people (excluding family) TWO.

Cannot travel (car) to visit family. 

Wedding gathering max 5.

Funeral max 10.

All beaches closed. 

However can visit Supermarket and also buy alcohol.

#### in USA you can buy a gun right now. Apparently essential service. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, What a carry on said:

It does nothing to stop idiots from gathering for parties. Anyone who had the slightest idea they might want to go to a party stocked up before the ban went into effect. If anything, it encourages more parties, because now those who didn't stock up can only drink by going to party with a friend who has it.

The only reason this happened at all was because some idiot in government thought it was a good way to show how important he is. Now he can say "See. I did something".  Like every other alcohol ban they have in place though, it does nothing to stop drinking. It just requires those who want to drink to plan ahead.

Human stupidity is infinite though. No matter how ridiculous it seems, it can always get worse.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

If are a heavy drinker you are actually in danger of having a seizure and dying from suddenly stopping drinking. I recommend a drug called Gabapentin if you are a chronic alcoholic, this is will ease your withdrawal and effectively act as an anti convulsant and prevent a seizure. 

it works on GABA receptors the same as alcohol and it’s very safe.

You should try baclofen and you can quit drinking alcohol.

https://baclofentreatment.com/

On 4/13/2020 at 4:19 AM, Matzzon said:

The ban is for everyone. Per usual there is going to be shops that sell anyway as always. No need to wait and see.

Wifey popped out last night came back in 10 min with a couple of Leos as normal ????

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, essox essox said:

as far as I know this bllody place is the ONLY country to ban sale of alcohol !!!

Even just as stupid in Australia it's not banned but in some states, the only source is a drive through bottle shop where you cannot buy a 2L cask of wine, but can buy 3 single bottles.

And of course, just drive on to the next bottle shop and repeat...as many times as you like!

Same reasons, "stop people partying and reduce domestic violence#"

# no job, no money, stuck at home with wife and kids 24/7

On 4/12/2020 at 7:41 AM, Chang_paarp said:

Can anyone offer a scientific reason for this decision?  I am struggling to understand the logic behind these bans. I know the "being seen to do something" reaction, but this does seem to be a little beyond the usual level of incomprehensible.

Acohol blocks chemical signals between brain cells = Impaired logic = Drunk peeps more likely to act stupid and not follow lockdown rules.

On 4/12/2020 at 8:31 AM, Dmaxdan said:

It is simply to try and stop parties and social gatherings over the Songkran period in order to help stem the spread of the virus. Nothing more and nothing less. Every other opinion is just based purely on lame conspiracy theories. 

if its to do with songkran parties and social gatherings over the new year 13-15 april then why ban sales of alcohol until end of april ? i stay in pattaya which as far as i know has the longest songkran in thailand of just over a week , starting on the 10th april till the 19th april there is still the ban on alcohol till the 30th april ????? why ????? when songkran has finished 11 days ago , typical 3rd world mentality by the dictatorship