Don’t believe fake news about ibuprofen and Covid-19: ministry

webfact

Don’t believe fake news about ibuprofen and Covid-19: ministry

By THE NATION

800_a395c07f6d07ce9.jpg?v=1586742098

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry has warned people not to believe or share news and Internet posts saying that using ibuprofen (commonly known as Advil) when having fever will cause the underlying Covid-19 virus to become ten times more potent.

“The ministry’s Anti-Fake News Centre contacted the Food and Drug Association [FDA] to verify this information and was told it is wrong,” the ministry said. “Ibuprofen can be used to reduce pain and fever without changing the potency of Covid-19. However, there are cautions when using this drug so it should therefore be prescribed by physicians.”

The ministry also advised that if you are not sure whether you should take Advil or not, paracetamol is a safer alternative, provided the dosage per single use does not exceed 650mg for children and 1,000mg for adults.

For further information on drugs, contact the FDA via tel 02-590-7000 or visit www.fda.moph.go.th. To report any fake news, please do so via website www.antifakenewscenter.com.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385868

h7a97i8bhh557a58g6ddf.jpg

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-13

This 'fake news' came from a real story in France a few weeks ago. That story said the authorities recommended paracetamol rather than Ibuprofen for fever since they came across a single case where the patient got very weak after taking Ibuprofen for fever. Though I believe the patient was a child.

And the other point "However, there are cautions when using this drug [Ibuprofen] so it should therefore be prescribed by physicians"

So they are saying that Ibuprofen is a drug that should be prescribed by physicians....that is Fake News. Is there a country in the world in which Ibuprofen is only available on prescription? I could only thing that some extremist Islamic countries like Saudi or Iran would have such rules but I doubt even that.

The current Thai authorities treat their people like infants.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, keithathome said:

I believe that NSAIDs work by suppressing the immune response of the body which is why it is a bad idea to use it when the body need a vigorous immune response.

Some people do theorize however, that it is your immune response that may be killng you and not the covid-19, as evidenced by the fact some people look like they are recovering and then they get much worse. If this were the case, the NSAIDs would help and not hinder your recovery.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

And how do you figure that? Do you think it´s a medicine for liver cancer?

...rarely causes liver damage.. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+is+ipubrophen+metabloized&rlz=1C1GGRV_enTH748TH748&oq=how+is+ipubrophen+metabloized&aqs=chrome..69i57.10805j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

...heavy long term use can cause chronic kidney disease.. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+is+ipubrophen+metabloized&rlz=1C1GGRV_enTH748TH748&oq=how+is+ipubrophen+metabloized&aqs=chrome..69i57.10805j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

...it can dampen immunological response by reducing inflammation.. inflammatory response is one of the first line defences when the body is under attack.  https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/doctor-note-ibuprofen-coronavirus-worse-200316045046677.html

32 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

And you didn´t understand what I was referring to, I can clearly see. I meant that out of drinking too much alcohol, you might get liver cancer. Try and figure out the rest. Good Luck!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And you didn´t understand what I was referring to, I can clearly see. I meant that out of drinking too much alcohol, you might get liver cancer. Try and figure out the rest. Good Luck!

If you have issues with alcohol, maybe from history, fine. Perhaps family whatever.

Stick to facts. Isolation is excellent idea. 

Isolation with some comforts perhaps even better. Especially when curfew may last few more months. .

Stop with type about alcohol not "essential".  Internet is not essential. However notice big hobby of yours. 

Grow up.

The vast majority of expats don't run riot when having a beer. As for young Thai folk breaking curfew .. that's very easy to control. Closing booze sales useless.

In fact most farang in bed prior to curfew. Especially with all bars restaurants shut. Same as Thai.

Edited by DrJack54

In my country it's almost common sense that you should avoid NSAIDs if it has not been prescribed to you. This "fake news" is actually a healthy habit to have so you don't make the situation worse when it matters, dismissing it like that is more dangerous than letting it run. A secondary bacterial infection in a person who has COVID-19 could surely turn bad if the patient keep shutting down its inflammatory response with NSAIDs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you have issues with alcohol, maybe from history, fine. Perhaps family whatever.

Stick to facts. Isolation is excellent idea. 

Isolation with some comforts perhaps even better. Especially when curfew may last few more months. .

Stop with type about alcohol not "essential".  Internet is not essential. However notice big hobby of yours. 

Grow up.

The vast majority of expats don't run riot when having a beer. As for young Thai folk breaking curfew .. that's very easy to control. Closing booze sales useless.

In fact most farang in bed prior to curfew. Especially with all bars restaurants shut. Same as Thai.

So, your opinion is in your opinion sticking to facts, while my opinion in your opinion is not. I wonder who has to grow up.

Just for your knowledge, I have no issues with alcohol. So, now you messed up 2 times in one post. Good Job! Maybe it´s bed time now?

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

So, your opinion is in your opinion sticking to facts, while my opinion in your opinion is not. I wonder who has to grow up.

Just for your knowledge, I have no issues with alcohol. So, now you messed up 2 times in one post. Good Job! Maybe it´s bed time now?

Oh my, are you still going on about the banning of alcohol and how useful it is to curb the spread of the virus ? OMG. 

And yes, it is very clear you have a problem with alcohol. The amount of posts and the times you call people alcoholist just for taking issue with useless measures is ample proof.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh my, are you still going on about the banning of alcohol and how useful it is to curb the spread of the virus ? OMG. 

And yes, it is very clear you have a problem with alcohol. The amount of posts and the times you call people alcoholist just for taking issue with useless measures is ample proof.

No, I am not going on about it, but I do reply to other that leave a direct comment to me. The measures is not useless. It´s just you that have a problem understanding it, because you want your full freedom every single second of your life. This is a special and unusual time, which means that we all have to sacrifice. Try and understand that. It is not only about alcohol, but it seems like that´s the thing people have most problem with. 

17 hours ago, nowhereman said:

I don't want to add anything to so called Fake News. But this is worth watching and most of all for those in FDA.

. Good luck everyone.

Good work an interesting video and as you say should be veiwed by all.

11 hours ago, gargamon said:

Some people do theorize however, that it is your immune response that may be killng you and not the covid-19, as evidenced by the fact some people look like they are recovering and then they get much worse. If this were the case, the NSAIDs would help and not hinder your recovery.

No that is wrong wrong wrong

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, I am not going on about it, but I do reply to other that leave a direct comment to me. The measures is not useless. It´s just you that have a problem understanding it, because you want your full freedom every single second of your life. This is a special and unusual time, which means that we all have to sacrifice. Try and understand that. It is not only about alcohol, but it seems like that´s the thing people have most problem with. 

Yes the measure is useless, people are having to go to the store anyway to buy other things, so they can buy alcohol at the same time. Pray tell what other goods have been banned ?

22 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes the measure is useless, people are having to go to the store anyway to buy other things, so they can buy alcohol at the same time. Pray tell what other goods have been banned ?

Oh dear! Can you just stop refusing to understand, that I am not talking about going buying it in a shop. I am not focusing on foreigners that can sit in their home drinking. Neither does the government. All that is irrelevant. What they are scared of, is that their own citizens, will sit drink together, because it´s the way that goes and a tradition here. They can not care less about us and our drinking habits. We are insignificant in this decision. They just want to limit the risk of their own citizens breaking the social distancing regulations and curfew. Therefore it´s a good decision that will help to do that, and it´s just something we have to live with. Get it! You just can´t change it by babbling of how unnecessary it is. 

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh dear! Can you just stop refusing to understand, that I am not talking about going buying it in a shop. I am not focusing on foreigners that can sit in their home drinking. Neither does the government. All that is irrelevant. What they are scared of, is that their own citizens, will sit drink together, because it´s the way that goes and a tradition here. They can not care less about us and our drinking habits. We are insignificant in this decision. They just want to limit the risk of their own citizens breaking the social distancing regulations and curfew. Therefore it´s a good decision that will help to do that, and it´s just something we have to live with. Get it! You just can´t change it by babbling of how unnecessary it is. 

No need to treat me as an idiot, I understood the reason many many messages ago, and I have already indicated what the logical way is to deal with that. But apparently that went way over your head. Remember the anology with the car. Good bye, some people are so convinced about their own views, they refuse to reason and logic. 

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

No need to treat me as an idiot, I understood the reason many many messages ago, and I have already indicated what the logical way is to deal with that. But apparently that went way over your head. Remember the anology with the car. Good bye, some people are so convinced about their own views, they refuse to reason and logic. 

Your logic. Do not forget to mention that. When you say it like you did here, that directly states that you are right and can not be wrong. What you see like logic, might not be what other see.