Number of new COVID-19 cases in Thailand fall for fifth consecutive day

webfact

1 hour ago, Creasy said:

Prayuts hotline should be ringing non stop with world leaders wanting to know Thailand’s secret to remarkable low numbers

Look at the figures for Vietnam, Burma, Lao and Cambodia. Between them a total of 444 infections and 4 deaths (all in Burma).

I think Thailand stands out as vastly higher - perhaps they should speak to their neighbours...

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand the only country in the world that puts the cost of tests before the lives of its citizens:

Speaking at today’s news conference, he defended the country’s relatively low number of tests, saying that it is not economically feasible to conduct mass screening tests.

“We conducted fewer tests, so we can be economical,” Taweesin said.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/04/13/daily-reported-infections-fall-to-28-but-2-more-died-of-virus/

Testing doesn't stop people from dying, The same amount will die even if you test everyone in Thailand.

Thailand is not doing the test and isolate infected model like Korea, its doing the isolate everyone model.

4 hours ago, garygooner said:

Very possible that for most people the strain is milder and therefore easier to treat. 

There is no different strain anywhere.  This virus has not mutated.  Don’t spread misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Testing doesn't stop people from dying, The same amount will die even if you test everyone in Thailand.

Thailand is not doing the test and isolate infected model like Korea, its doing the isolate everyone model.

Where did you get the information from that testing does not save lives? Statistics clearly show the more tests you do the lower the death rate, just look at Germany for example, its just one of many.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Testing is a mandatory for control measures though 

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Where did you get the information from that testing does not save lives? Statistics clearly show the more tests you do the lower the death rate, just look at Germany for example, its just one of many.

Italy have tested more per population than Germany and just look at their deaths

If all these figures were correct the Thai authorities would be leading the world in treatment and suppression of this covid19 ,why are they not sharing their success rates and treatments to badly hit countries we all know how the Thai authorities like to talk themselves up.if figures are correct why such drastic lockdown a lot of people returned home many weeks ago to live in large family groups so no transmissions reported hope it's all true stay safe out their.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand the only country in the world that puts the cost of tests before the lives of its citizens:

Speaking at today’s news conference, he defended the country’s relatively low number of tests, saying that it is not economically feasible to conduct mass screening tests.

“We conducted fewer tests, so we can be economical,” Taweesin said.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/04/13/daily-reported-infections-fall-to-28-but-2-more-died-of-virus/

Money Number One.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, I've been convinced for some time that the tropical heat and humidity has a significant effect. What made me ask about the treatments being used, though, is that while Thailand is happily reporting <50 new cases every day now, places with a similar climate like Indonesia, the Philippines and even Singapore are all reporting numbers over 100. Singapore is very rich and can afford any medicine it wants to use, while the other two countries are both poorer than Thailand. Still, Thailand seems to be bucking the regional trend, I just hope it's not that they're better at creative accounting!

Singapore had stable figures for a while until they ramped up testing ,the numbers then jumped up!

This post will get the usual sad emojis from the usual culprits but not one of them can refute the following statement ; Low levels of testing result in low numbers of confirmed cases.

Honestly folks , its not rocket science is it !

Incidently North Korea has zero reported cases , yep zero , should we take that at face value ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that many are guessing the low rate is due to high temperature, while in Florida, with equally high temperatures, the rate is higher. No one is asking whether lower testing means lower numbers. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, offset said:

Italy have tested more per population than Germany and just look at their deaths

Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is critical to tracking the virus, understanding epidemiology, informing case management, and to suppressing transmission.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/laboratory-guidance

ie saving lives

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes it does help stop people from dying because you find out where the virus is hiding in the asymptomatic population and take appropriate action thus reducing the spread and therefore the number of deaths and Sth Korea has done 514,621 tests so far so not really the same model really is it?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Redline said:

That’s pretty amazing because even A week ago I read that the strain in Italy was basically the same as in China.

good information-I will research more ????

Its actually very interesting, have a look at this site, it shows the strains and how it spread.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

image.png.1ffa6db57f2fa6339ff15b254d8429e7.png

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes it does help stop people from die because you find out where the virus is hiding in the asymptomatic population and take appropriate action thus reducing the spread and therefore the number of deaths and Sth Korea has done 514,621 tests so far so not really the same model really is it?

Yes that would be good if they can do all the population South korea have only tested about 1% of their population so the virus could still hide in over 50 million people

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I stopped reading when it said there are three strains of Covid 19.Covid 19 is not a virus so it cannot mutate!Covid 19 is the name of the disease caused by the Sars Cov 2 virus which is not mentioned.Also it's a news article not a scientific publication.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, w94005m said:

Every time I hear an ambulance go past my condo in Jomtien, I get a little more worried. Had 4 go by before 10AM today ???? So hope these numbers are close to reality.

Hopefully the ambulances are for something else ????

Yea like the real #1 killer in Thailand which is car/motorcycle accidents.

Meanwhile, a proactive campaign to help identify anyone with the Covid-19 virus has begun. Teams of volunteers, medical staff and law enforcement are planning to go door to door to every home on the entire island and give temperature and medical checks to residents. 

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/13/phuket-lockdown-has-begun-for-fourteen-days-all-residents-are-encouraged-to-stay-home-and-ordered-to-stay-in-sub-districts/?fbclid=IwAR1bz8i4PdT-dWsQU9NcWTm8hfhay6zWVyypuAsLtxQblmvm0t3IRhbCZXk

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes they have and have seemingly almost halted the spread and possibly saved many lives by isolating the virus as I have suggested with massive amounts of testing in the initial stages of the outbreak along of course with other measures.

How do you know who to test if there are no systems showing. nobody will know the best way of dealing with this virus for many months from now

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The big question tht people do not know for sure is the number of cases that required hospitalization.  

A lot of people are diagnosed with it but may have a very "light" case of it and are just quarantined like you do for the flu or such.

In Thailand they appear to be hospitalizing all identified cases.

Not a possibility in countries with heavy caseloads like UK or US, but they are managing to do it here.

Mainly i think to be sure of the quarantine.

• Confused 1