Bt5,000 handouts: ministry does not want massage, spa employees overlooked

webfact

Bt5,000 handouts: ministry does not want massage, spa employees overlooked

By THE NATION

800_f6f9f87f57f8108.jpg?v=1586763647

The Public Health Ministry’s Department of Health Services Support will ask the Finance Ministry to consider Bt5,000 handouts for traditional massage and spa employees who have been affected by the government’s shutdown order and not covered by social security, director-general Dr Thares Karasnairaviwong said today (April 13).

“There are more than 120,000 employees registered with the department as service providers in health-related establishments and who are not under the social security scheme,” he said. “We will submit this list to the Finance Ministry to make sure they are not overlooked under the cash-handout campaign.”

The campaign offers eligible citizens, whose livelihoods have been impacted by the Covid-19 crisis, Bt5,000 a month for three months. To be eligible, candidates must be Thai nationals, aged over 18, be self-employed, freelance or a non-permanent employee and not covered under social security.

The first batch of handouts started on April 10, while the website for registering will stay open until no more people register.

“We want employees in the traditional massage and spa businesses to rest assured that the department has not abandoned you and will do everything it can to make sure those affected by the government’s shutdown will receive proper compensation,” Thares vowed.

Massage therapists are considered a profession with a high risk of contracting Covid-19 as it involves physical contact with customers. Massage parlours and spas were among the first businesses ordered to close to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385894

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-13

3 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

That's because roughly 50% of the population of Thailand tried to apply.

Everybody thought it was a free-for-all money buffet, and that's why it takes so long time to process the real applicants.

Corruption runs in all levels of Thai society.

Why not just give each household that applies, the 5k.

It's not as if the government can't afford it.

Most Thai families can survive on that.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Except that not every "houshold" lives under the same roof. Although many may be on the same blue book they do not live at the same address unfortunately.

That's their problem, maybe time to go back to the family farm for a while.

At least most Thais have access to a family farm, not like us white folk who are totally screwed if we can't keep up the mortgage/rent payments.

(Fatman666 on ignore, I've no time for sad people)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

My daughter was rejected,as they said she had a business, which she does not,

heard reports people rejected because last few numbers on ID were not correct,which

they were, and a teacher rejected ,because they said she was a farmer,I think a lot of

people have been denied, which is not good when they were expecting the 5 K which

they need ,because they cannot work,as their employer has closed the business on

order of the Government.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

That's because roughly 50% of the population of Thailand tried to apply.

Everybody thought it was a free-for-all money buffet, and that's why it takes so long time to process the real applicants.

Corruption runs in all levels of Thai society.

Hmm, I doubt this to be the case, did you hear the latest explanation of the government, if someone applied for the scheme, but had a family member that registered as a farmer, they were automatically excluded. So the 5000 baht is apparently per family, and if you happen to work in a restaurant or bar or shopping mall far from your family, you better get back home to see if you can get a few crumbs. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why not just give each household that applies, the 5k.

It's not as if the government can't afford it.

Most Thai families can survive on that.

because some are in more need than others and some are not in need at all. why waste money on those who are not in difficulty? given the apparent lackadaisical approach to paying income and business tax it does not surprise me that some who didnt contribute, when they were legally obliged to, in the good times they cant complain if they dont match the criteria in bad times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

because some are in more need than others and some are not in need at all. why waste money on those who are not in difficulty? given the apparent lackadaisical approach to paying income and business tax it does not surprise me that some who didnt contribute, when they were legally obliged to, in the good times they cant complain if they dont match the criteria in bad times.

What has contributing got to do with anything ? It should and could be very simple, If you can demonstrate that you lost your job due to the government's covid=19 closures, you should be granted the 5000 baht, at the end of the day, that is still a far cry from the 9000 baht at the minimum that many people would earn each month. How are people going to eat when their income has dropped to zero ? 

Only 7% of the people applying received the money. I had a chat with a Thai lad working for the government, and he said that you're only eligible if you're registered as living in Bangkok. Don't know if this is true, or they just decided to give it too a small group of random people. 

Meanwhile, I'm supporting 4 family members, who all had legitimate jobs (hotels, Tourist van driver, Marketstall BKK) who lost their job. Obviously their application was denied with some kind of vague reason. 

17 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Only 7% of the people applying received the money. I had a chat with a Thai lad working for the government, and he said that you're only eligible if you're registered as living in Bangkok. Don't know if this is true, or they just decided to give it too a small group of random people. 

Meanwhile, I'm supporting 4 family members, who all had legitimate jobs (hotels, Tourist van driver, Marketstall BKK) who lost their job. Obviously their application was denied with some kind of vague reason. 

So sad, what utter nonsense.

18 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Can anyone post a link to the deal for the electricity payment scheme - ie - delaying payment for 6 months?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not aware of any link to a deal. I thought it was just a defered payment or payment holiday i.e. Due by date extension? I might be off the mark here. Don't quote me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I'm not aware of any link to a deal. I thought it was just a defered payment or payment holiday i.e. Due by date extension? I might be off the mark here. Don't quote me.

Yes - i think you're probably right. But who does it apply to? I guess what I mean is - I'd like a link to the information. ????

55 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hmm, I doubt this to be the case, did you hear the latest explanation of the government, if someone applied for the scheme, but had a family member that registered as a farmer, they were automatically excluded. So the 5000 baht is apparently per family, and if you happen to work in a restaurant or bar or shopping mall far from your family, you better get back home to see if you can get a few crumbs. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159205-government-finalising-cash-handouts-to-farmers/  The 5,000 baht isn't per family. This next Farmer Scheme appears to be for families. How many farmers in Thailand? Is it 9 or 13 million? I'm guessing a lot of people went to bed hungry tonight.

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

Less than 20% of the Thai population have ever paid income tax.

So you think 80% of the population should starve?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My daughter was rejected,as they said she had a business, which she does not,

heard reports people rejected because last few numbers on ID were not correct,which

they were, and a teacher rejected ,because they said she was a farmer,I think a lot of

people have been denied, which is not good when they were expecting the 5 K which

they need ,because they cannot work,as their employer has closed the business on

order of the Government.

regards Worgeordie

Same experience here ... A factory worker friend of my GF was told he was a farmer, rejected ......  There is a lot of discontent at grass root level about this ....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

But since the number of cases in Thailand is continually dropping, and there have only been a handful of deaths, and nobody has it, then there really is no need for any of this stimulus, because the curfews can be lifted and everyone go back to work, right?

Damages are already done. Businesses won't be the same all around the world for months at least.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

But since the number of cases in Thailand is continually dropping, and there have only been a handful of deaths, and nobody has it, then there really is no need for any of this stimulus, because the curfews can be lifted and everyone go back to work, right?

Yes, absolutely right, I wondered why a country of 60 million people and only 2,500 who have contracted the virus, approx 1,200 active cases, 1,200 recovered have banned travel, closed airports, stopped people from buying alcohol. Is someone not telling us what is going on.????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Same experience here ... A factory worker friend of my GF was told he was a farmer, rejected ......  There is a lot of discontent at grass root level about this ....

'If the registrant is a farmer or has family members who are farmers, the person is not qualified to receive the 5,000-baht monthly cash handout. However, measures to help farmers will be launched soon.'       I'm taking a wild guess here that some farmers may have been using family members names too claim extra subsidies over the years. Although many have been rejected from the 5,000 baht Scheme, there is a new Farmers Scheme on the way......