Booze ban: Thailand's one million heavy drinkers face serious health and withdrawal issues

webfact

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Define Alcoholic,i drink everyday,slowly,don't get drunk,don't or very rarely touch spirits ,stopped for 3 days a week or so ago,bit of a headache on day 2 otherwise no other effects,so the question is am i an Alcoholic?

Probably, depends how you define it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took a bil to Hospital, knew he had a liver problem. He was going through withdrawal soon enough. Wandering around naked in the small hours, then tied to the bed with sheets, hallucinating sweating no idea of anything. Not pretty, this guy was a big bottle of Lao Khao a day or more man. Drinks it out of a water bottle. Once 

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

A real alcohol addicted always has booze in stock or can make it himself, within a few days or a week you can make your wine or distilling clean alcohol high grade. Every Thai knows how to do that.

Sùch thinking reveals how little you know about alcoholism.

• Confused 1

I took a bil to Hospital, knew he had a liver problem. He was going through withdrawal soon enough. Wandering around naked in the small hours, then tied to the bed with sheets, hallucinating sweating no idea of anything. Not pretty, this guy was a big bottle of Lao Khao a day or more man. Drinks it out of a water bottle. Once I swapped it for water, he took a big swig, was coughing and choking for about an hour.

Edited by Bluetongue
got cut off

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Awwww! Maybe an opportune time for them to get a grip of their lives, have a good look in the mirror and change their ways!

Seemingly your knowledge about alcoholism is as limited as your compassion for other humans. I put my smug attitude about things I knew nothing about and became educated enough to understad your small comments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Seemingly your knowledge about alcoholism is as limited as your compassion for other humans. I put my smug attitude about things I knew nothing about and became educated enough to understad your small comments.

I took a grip of my life and looked in the mirror when I was diagnosed with cancer after 50 years of smoking! I changed my ways! Benno.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

It was eighty yeas ago.......

So.

The ingredients, equipment and process required to operate a still are still the same today as they were back then. You can even buy a ready made still today on line from Amazon.

The Thais could improvise with some plastic tubing, copper pots and a Camping Gaz stove!

Gin, vodka and whiskey can easily be made at home.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

I thought i had a problem with booze, i drink every night in UK 

1 beer 4 double vodka and oranges. "Always have dinner" 

But whe I'm in Thailand mybe 1 time a week. So i don't think I'm a <deleted> head 

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

A real alcohol addicted always has booze in stock or can make it himself, within a few days or a week you can make your wine or distilling clean alcohol high grade. Every Thai knows how to do that.

You are right, but provided one has a place to do it and the possibility of getting by for the equipment, I am not saying that it is difficult, but tens of thousands of alcoholics will not be able to do it.

I candidly believed that everyone knew that great alcoholics could not be deprived of alcohol overnight without serious consequences ... I was wrong, in this government, they did not know ????

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

The ban is only for western style stores, people will just buy it elsewhere

That's what you think ; but it has nothing to do with reality on the ground.
Even in the villages the local grocery stores refuse to sell alcohol because it should never be forgotten that here the national sport is delation.

• Confused 1

Alcoholism is a self-inflicted disease and not the governments problem like Corona virus is.

If alcoholics die from stop drinking then who is to blame? Please don't blame the government.

Keep the alcohol ban and watch the number of traffic deaths decline. 

The villages I am sure have a very high percentage of chronic alcoholics. Many never stop from morning till night. One shop owner joked that no one gets hangovers here as they don't stop drinking long enough...

Thanks for this,it made me laugh, used to love wine in Greece where I lived for many years... Don't drink here!

Happy Songkran!????

• Like 1