Predictions on airport opening dates?

yogavnture

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

OK. hands up, I confess. I came in half way through this thread (it happens doesn't it) and only read the header.

Take care and stay safe.

I apologize if it sounded like I was beating you up, it was not my intent, and Thank you for understanding, and of course you take care as well and be safe too..

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I doubt it will take that long. I think the OP is correct - May 15 is a likely date for re-starting a large number of international flights, but things won't be back to normal across the board until at least June. It's possible that a few destinations won't field flights until July.

Just wondering your reasons to say May 15 (one month from now).

Other than Thai folks, foreigners holding WPs or PR holders who need to get back to local family seems to me doubtful many others would want to come to a county which is still experiencing quite a few new positive folks every day and deaths, and doubtful it will reduce and stay at zero for quite a while yet.  

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just wondering your reasons to say May 15 (one month from now).

Other than Thai folks, foreigners holding WPs or PR holders who need to get back to local family seems to me doubtful many others would want to come to a county which is still experiencing quite a few new positive folks every day and deaths, and doubtful it will reduce and stay at zero for quite a while yet.  

This now in from China, and it sounds as if they are tightening the reigns again in preparation for that second wave I have heard is starting.  Wonder what this will mean to the Thailand airports and the Governments actions here as far as what we are discussing here. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fearful-of-virus-return-beijing-turns-into-virtual-fortress/ar-BB12Apg9?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by ThailandRyan

In my opinion, Thai authorities will need to balance two different needs: 1. Protect the resident population from new cases imported from abroad, and 2. Not completely obliterate the tourist industry.

For 1. I think that the current restrictions of health certificate and insurance could be enough, although safer to wait until a vaccine is widely available. For 2, possibly the beginning of what should have been the high season in November-December. Of course, for those wanting to leave without needing to return anytime soon, airports are still open even currently. So my guess is late this year.   

21 minutes ago, dzodun said:

I have a confirmed flight on May 1st on Korean Air. They have no flights from Bkk in April but they start again May 1. I also just booked a flight earlier on May 1st from Buriram to Don Meuang.

You can't count on the fact that you have a confirmed booking meaning that the flight will actually operate. Most airlines have set dates to resume services because they have to do that even though those dates are somewhat arbitrary as it's impossible for them to predict the situation months, weeks or even days into the future.

For example when THAI Airways announced the suspension of all international routes in March they set the date for resuming flights at the 1st June but it's far from sure that is actually going to happen. That decision hasn't been yet been made because there are so many factors outside of their control.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Maybe the airport might open in the Autumn of 2020 but travellers inbound this time next year at the earliest

When is autumn in Thailand? I thought hot, wet and cool seasons.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If my very empty mailbox is any indication receiving is equally down.

Speedpost is a courier, several couriers are still operating internationally.  But not regular post from most countries to & from here.\

Hi Sheryl , Just checked Speedpost its mainly going from Singapore i have been trying to send a Parcel home to my Parents via Airmail but as others have said Thailand post is only Surface Mail.

I did try DHL and for a 3 kilo box about the size of 2 Beer leo boxes they said 30k ...Think they must have drank the leo already if they think i will pay that..

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Predictions tend to become facts in this forum 

Here is a fact as CAAT has increased the closure of most flights:  Posted on their site as well as in the paper that can not be named or linked to.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has extended its inbound flight ban to April 30 except repatriation flights and some others for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) control.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Are you offering a prize for the nearest correct answer? ????

whats the point in making 'wild' predictions about airport re openings ???

there are so so many variables that influence this..

its pointless guesing, we just have to wait ans see...

4 minutes ago, murraynz said:

whats the point in making 'wild' predictions about airport re openings ???

there are so so many variables that influence this..

its pointless guesing, we just have to wait ans see...

Soon as they work out how long is a piece of string, we'll know!

18 hours ago, Skallywag said:

18 months and you are losing your sanity?  Been here just 2.5 years without leaving, no worries.(retired though - maybe you are not)  Lots to do/see in LOS when the restrictions are lifted.

You must realize traveling internationally to see friends and family is not necessary nowadays, with skype, line, or facetime you can see them as often as you like.

BTW, Where is it going to be better in September in your opinion? 

Ok semi retired ...in 23 years here i have never done more than a year here, normally 8 months then a few months in UK or Australia

2.5 years NO i would do murder its ok here but only with resoite care

i know all about social media but it does not  help me eat good food or drink decent beer does it... or walking in the welsh mountains or watching the Wolves at molineux

Plus on another purely selfish reason for a swift return  i have to meet my UK solicitor for various reasons That cannot be done easily by social media 

Opening up flights how does that work at the end of this month or nearbouts while the virus is showing signs of increased outbreaks and proliferation, reinfection of those cleared previously, with a virus that world health experts no almost nothing about, a virus still active across the globe?

Ok, so some countries decide to allow flights in and out. How do we, dampen, allow a natural quieting of this virus if we open global travel, in and or out of areas that are still suspect, areas with much higher numbers of infected people AND UNKNOWN levels of infected people in these areas and others as yet unknown?

With 2 major companies saying rollout of a vaccine is at least 15 months away, unlikely that much travel will be done except between countries with very low infection levels. I expect that Chinese, Japanese and Koreans will be allowed to come to Thailand by June (assuming no resurgence of their outbreaks) without serious health checks. Europeans and Americans - not a chance without health documentation, and even then not encouraged.

Could still be restrictions in a years time.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:32 PM, SidJames said:

Do people bother to check facts before posting?

Swapmy never closed & a flight from Shanghai landed 45 mins ago.

Qatar running flights & there are flights to europe running as well.

EVA runs a direct flight to London but I don't think it's daily.

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

have u checked your faccts sid james...............im in phil. with no option to get to bkk.  so i will consider flying from here to usa.........

In reference to my earlier post, just last week out of the blue both my travel agency and Korean Air sent me emails saying that they had changed my flight on May 1st from 9:35 PM to 11:30 PM. They asked me if I agreed to the change or not. If I didn't agree they had various options available. I agreed to the new flight time. I expect both Korean Air and One Travel know what is going on. 

On 4/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, dzodun said:

I have a confirmed flight on May 1st on Korean Air. They have no flights from Bkk in April but they start again May 1. I also just booked a flight earlier on May 1st from Buriram to Don Meuang.

check your messages i sent you one

On 4/15/2020 at 12:07 PM, Tropposurfer said:

Opening up flights how does that work at the end of this month or nearbouts while the virus is showing signs of increased outbreaks and proliferation, reinfection of those cleared previously, with a virus that world health experts no almost nothing about, a virus still active across the globe?

Ok, so some countries decide to allow flights in and out. How do we, dampen, allow a natural quieting of this virus if we open global travel, in and or out of areas that are still suspect, areas with much higher numbers of infected people AND UNKNOWN levels of infected people in these areas and others as yet unknown?

at some point countries need to get of expats to get to their home country

On 4/15/2020 at 10:37 AM, OnTheGround said:

Airport can expect further extensions.

Really pointless to ask, because all we do, is just guessing.

Big announcements about reopening will come in due time.

big announcements about reopening will come in due time.  thanks that is valuable information and a great prediction...........my prediction is some movement gonna happen after may 1  some limited flights...........my question was prediction which you call guessing.  so its not really pointless as im asking for predictions.  which has a point

Edited by yogavnture
s

Apologies if this sounds like a simple question but from what I read in this thread it contradicts what a friend of mine who lives near Suvanabhumi told me on Wednesday. From this thread I assume its absolutely impossible for me to get a flight and fly off somewhere. For example Shanghai. Would that be correct? If so why does he tell me that he sees the occasional aircraft going over his apartment? There are flights taking off from Suvanabhumi but he can't tell which airline it is or what type of flight it is, maybe for V.I.Ps only or something. 

So is it correct for me to assume that until APril 30th at the earliest, I simply cannot get a flight out of this country?

• Like 1